Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 September 2005
Rosie's third album sees her songwriting reach new levels of maturity and fans will not be disappointed. Vocally, she's stronger than ever, singing with a sincerity, passion and feeling that is hard to find nowadays.
Rosie's first two albums for Sub-Pop were extremely personal affairs, and while this album (recorded in California)is less of a 'family affair', it's just as beautiful. I can't wait to hear the next album, because she'll have moved up another rung by then.
It's hard to think of another female singer/songwriter who is writing songs of such raw emotion. You're a star Rosie Thomas.
VINE VOICEon 20 January 2006
As a barometer of just how shallow I am capable of being this album would have registered somewhere around the deep as a pool of worm pee level. You see I was nearly put off purchasing this lovely album by the cover. I sat looking at it and convinced myself that it somehow signified that the content contained therein would be kooky and self indulgent. Nothing in fact could be further from the truth.
Anybody reading this will now have sussed that I went ahead and bought the album anyway and thank Jupiter I did , it’s turned out to be the unexpected treat of the year……2005 that is. Centring around Thomas’s attractive honey smooth vocals and some delicate piano this is a collection of subtly variegated songs embellished with acoustic guitar , strings and the odd wisp of percussion and brass. There is a duet with Ed Harcourt on “Let It be Me” whose more coarse vocal stylings contrast nicely with Thomas’s but the stand out songs are the gorgeous “Tomorrow” which is so ethereal and fragile it would be dissipated by a light rain shower , and the more dynamic “Time Goes Away” and “Say What You Want”. Really though there isn’t a poor track on this album. Surprising too an album as elegant as this is on the “Sub Pop” label .
My only problem with it is a slight lack of harmonious variation and the slightly simplistic lyrics which rely too much on rhyming stay with way or do with you. Listening to a lot of Nick Cave, Mark Eitzel and Cathal Coughlan can make you critical like that though. No matter what the lyrics the songs are still exquisite and my only other gripe has nothing to do with the artist but the way I can see them assimilated by makers of maudlin teen dramas like “Dawson Creeks” , “The O.C”or “Despite my floppy hair and puppy dog eyes I cant get laid”. I made that last one up by the way.
These songs deserve way better than that. They really do deserve to be held…..and by someone who doesn’t judge a book or album by it’s cover.
on 22 March 2006
After the excellent reviews listed for this album, I thought I would give this a go and I'm glad I did. If you like early Tori Amos then you'll enjoy this. Much better than I expected.
on 3 June 2010
'Pretty Dress' is a fantastic song, but the rest of the album hasn't lived up to it. Maybe it will grow on me after a few more listens.
on 10 September 2009
My first and still my most beloved album from this special lady. Need I say more?
on 7 August 2015