4.0 out of 5 stars True crime New York
Good game. As far as I Know its got the whole map of New York to roam around. I recently went to New York on holiday. So its been fun finding those places in the game.
Published on 4 Nov 2009 by Mr. Sw Crow

3.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely RIDDLED with glitches
I enjoyed True Crime: Streets of LA despite the fact that it was clearly just a poor man's GTA. Having just owning a Gamecube at the time it was the closest I could get to playing a GTA game on that system. TC: NYC had been on my wishlist for years but Gamecube games are increasingly hard to find so it took me a while to track it down.

Now that I own a PS3 and...
Published 18 months ago by Inspector Gadget

3.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely RIDDLED with glitches, 6 Mar 2013
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: True Crime: New York City (GameCube) (Video Game)

Now that I own a PS3 and very familiar with GTA IV, playing TC: NYC is a HUGE step down in quality. The graphics and gameplay are already very dated (this was a 2005 game I played in 2010). TC: NYC came out at the tail end of the Gamecube's lifespan and for those of you who are spoiled by the slick nature of current generation consoles playing the game will be very difficult, glitches or not. Comparison's to GTA IV might seem unfair, but are inevitable since both take place in a nearly identical environment.

The plot to TC: NYC is right out of a typical 80s Golan-Globus trash movie. It's pure garbage, but entertaining garbage, and thankfully features none of the supernatural nonsense from the previous game. You'll be surprised how quickly it's over. There are plenty of side-missions but you'll get bored of them after a while since they repeat again and again.

Now to the glitches. Oh where to begin? It's a good idea to save your game every time you make significant progress since it has the tendency to completely freeze-up, requiring you to reboot your system. Sometimes you'll be unable to enter buildings, leaving missions unfinishable. There is also an extremely bad frame rate problem causing your character to jump all over the screen.

As for gameplay faults, the freedom of GTA is not present here. It's virtually impossible to drive to crime scenes or pursue criminals without killing pedestrians, which pushes up the crime rate in the area. The other cops NEVER help, and ALWAYS hinder your mission. There are plenty of taxis in the game to get you to locations safely, but since there's no button to hail them it's very difficult to get inside one.

The whole game is set on Manhattan island, with endless streets of tall, foreboding buildings. There is virtually no sunshine either with lots of rain and night, giving TC: NYC a claustrophobic, gloomy and oppressive feel. If you are used to blue skies and sunshine of Sonic the Hedgehog then this might be a bit of a miserable experience for you.

There are ways to customize your character and vehicle, giving each player their own unique experience. But as you'll encounter on every street of TC: NYC; there is very, very little variety. There are about 10 vehicle models and about the same number of characters. Every street is populated by six or seven models of a single character. There aren't a lot of guns available either, and there's little difference between them.

TC: NYC clearly was not finished. Activision obviously wanted to rush the game to stores before the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube became relics. I can't imagine it selling well, which explains why I had such a hard time finding it.

I did enjoy playing it, which counts for a lot since there are plenty of bad points it had to make up for. But if you are the kind of person who easily throws the control pad through the TV screen when a game freezes then I'd certainly not recommend it.

Graphics B-

= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars really good game, 4 Jun 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: True Crime: New York City (GameCube) (Video Game)
I remember being given this game as a present and thinking it's not my type of game. How wrong I was! This was the first game I have properly been addicted to! Absolutely loved it! Main storyline is awesome, and so are the side-lined scenarios. Very time consuming in a great way! Would love this game to come out on ps3!

2.0 out of 5 stars Its a true crime this game is so bad, 18 Oct 2010
Mr. A. Mcgrath "Of Chaos" (Eldwick UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: True Crime: New York City (GameCube) (Video Game)
I had high hopes for this game.

I owned Streets of LA and thought the idea was ok but the game was ultimately let down by poor game and story design.

So when I found out they were bringing Streets of NY out and it was supposed to be less Chinese mythology and more gangs and guns, I was excited.

Unfortunately, again this game is let down by poor design. This game feels rushed. the frame rate is so bad that its nearly impossible to control the vehicles in the game. It glitches all the time and I can't believe how many times bads guys have managed to elude me by running straight through buildings and emmerging the other side.

This is such a shame, as again the ideas behind this game are great. If you can get past the horrible frame rate and bad controls, you may enjoy this game, but unfortunately I feel that is too hard to do.

True Crime: New York City (GameCube)
True Crime: New York City (GameCube) by Activision (GameCube)