4.0 out of 5 stars A Big and Great Big Star Surprise!
It was really a big ( and great ) surprise, when I read in a magazine this Spring that Big Star had been in the studio to record a new album; now it has finally been released - the first new studio album for 30 years.

Published on 30 Nov 2008 by Morten Vindberg

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the embarresment it could have been..
Published on 18 Sep 2006 by Even Johan Ottersland

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the embarresment it could have been.., 18 Sep 2006
Even Johan Ottersland "Even" (Oslo, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Space (Audio CD)
I think fans may tend to judge this album a bit too hard. I had pretty low expectations about it, so I was a bit surprised that it wasn't worse. I don't like what Alex Chilton has done as a solo artist, and I don't like everything he does here either. "Hung Up With Summer" is a very good song, and there are some other nice ones, such as "Dony" and "Turn My Back On The Sun". The album doesn't stick too much to the Big Star - formula. It's a bit self-indulgent at times, as one could expect from Alex Chilton. I don't think it's fair to compare it to the two first albums. They probably shouldn't have used the name. However this is a nice addition to a fans collection. It's at least much better than Alex Chilton's solo efforts.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Big and Great Big Star Surprise!, 30 Nov 2008
Morten Vindberg (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Space (Audio CD)

Guitarist, singer and songwriter Alex Chilton was always the key-member of Big Star, but original drummer and occasioanal singer Jody Stephens is also still there. New members are guitarist and singer Jon Auer and Ken Stringfellow, bass keyboards and vocals.

I was a little anxious that the album would be a big disappointment ( reunion albums often are!!), but having heard the opening track "Dony", written and sung by Chilton, on the internet, my expectations grew. This actually sounded like Big Star. "Dony" is a typical Chilton/Big Star power-rocker with great guitar riffs.

The album continues with Jon Auer's "Lady Sweet", an absolute highlight on the album; a beautiful song with great vocals ( both lead and harmonies ) that evokes memories of "Thirteen" and "Ballad of El Goodo" from the first album.

High standards are kept with Jody Stephens' "Best Chance We've Ever Had" - fine track that really sounds like Big Star.

From here the album becomes slightly more uneven. Stephens contributes another highlight with "February's Quiet" and Stringfellow's Beach Boys inspired "Turn My Back to the Sun" is quite good.

It's not that the songs with Chilton in front are bad; they just sound less like original Big Star. "Mine Exclusively" is a funky/soul number, sounding very much like a 1960's track ("Heat Wave") - great vocals from Chilton. "Love Revolution" is another very different track; a disco/funky/dance type a track, that some will love and others probably will hate. "A Whole New Thing" is a classical Chuck Berry type rocker, and though "Hung Up With Summer" is quite a good song, it sounds somewhat underproduced like a demo.

Too sum things up a little, I would say that first half of the album is mostly great ( occasionally outstanding ) and second half uneven with a few rather weak tracks. So I cannot at all say I'm disappointed, and though this is hardly a new masterpiece, it brings hope for more great Big Star music in the future; it sure sounds like the right chemistry is there within the band.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Big and Great Big Star Surprise!, 11 Nov 2008
This review is from: In Space (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars so it's not the best thing Big Star ever did but it still has ..., 23 July 2014
This review is from: In Space (Audio CD)
I've read a few reviews of this album, none of them favourable. OK, so it's not the best thing Big Star ever did but it still has more moments of brilliance than most artists could hope for in a career. I thoroughly enjoyed it and a magnificent bargain at £2.00.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh, dear..., 3 Aug 2006
This review is from: In Space (Audio CD)
As a huge fan, I like many others, was waiting with bated breath for this. Despite some rather kindly reviews in the specialised press when this was launched, and the fact that we would all have loved this to be a triumph, this really is a stinker. It sounds exactly like a bad covers band trying too hard. It has none of the drive and darkness of the originals.

A parody of one of the worlds great groups.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 15 Mar 2006
This review is from: In Space (Audio CD)
If you are a Big Star fan then I'm sure you'll want to buy it to comlete your collection, as I did. I won't try to put you off doing the same but...... There is a distinct lack of feeling that was so evident in the LPs #1 Record and Radio City. If you are new to Big Star then start with these. 'In Space'just doesn't seem to work on any level. There are one or two tracks worth a listen - Turn my back on the sun, Dony. The rest is just pap. They shouldn't have bothered. Not the same without the late Chris Bell song writing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty forgettable album, 11 July 2009
Mr. Glen Haig (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Space (Audio CD)
Have listened to this a few times, and while it contains a couple of decent tracks, it's not an album which I will ever listen to from start to finish again. Just too many weak songs.

In Space
In Space by Big Star (Audio CD - 2006)