Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 December 2006
What a wonderful, wonderful talent. This beautiful girl has a fantastic, dreamy voice and this album really does her justice. The CD/DVD "special edition" gives some extra features, but it is the music, and the voice, that enthralls.
on 4 October 2005
Along with Call Off The Search, I can say that if I was stranded on desert island and could have only 10 CDs, Piece By Piece would most assuredly be one of them. Every song is beautifully interpreted by this angelic songbird's ethereal, passionate and slightly melancholic bluesy voice. If you crave real talent and are just as displeased with the current state of the musical culture as I am, call off your search and rush to by this truly magical second album by the one and only Katie Melua. I daresay you will spend your entertainment money much wiser than this.
Melua is maturing as an artist and exploring the full range of her talent with this successful second album. Rather than dissect and deconstruct this song by song, I would recommend just enjoying and savoring each song for what it is. They all possess a unique quality that I trust will reach you on the deepest emotional level. Enjoy. I give this 5 stars without hesitation. I honestly feel blessed to be on the receiving end. One could only hope this is but a second chapter in a wonderful and rewarding career for Katie Melua.
on 13 June 2006
Melua is not unlike Norah Jones; a jazzy feel is throughout the set. This album is more pop music oriented than her previous set, Call of the Search. Personally I feel this is a better album, the arrangements are tighter and here we have stronger melodies.

There are no stinkers on this album. Nine Million Bicycles has already been a deserved huge hit world wide with its mystic oriental sound (and a fine accompanying video). The re-make of the Cure's Just like Heaven is a fantastic version that has been a big radio hit in my neck of the woods. Instead of the synthesizers Katie provides a simple arrangement with a guitar in the foreground and soft singing. I like this version even better than the original one which still has aged remarkably well. The third minor hit of the album is Spider's Web which boasts lyrics worth taking note of and a tight production. I saw this track live on TV, that version was more energetic and even better. The musicians on this album, by the way, are top performers and one can really tell. The title track is also a grower, which showcases how Katie can handle well delicate singing.

Piece By Piece is an easy sounding album with high standards. It is not groundbreaking but it is immaculately done and yet full of life. I recommend it.
on 6 December 2005
Having now lived with this album since its release I'd just like to say I think Piece by Piece is a thing of rare beauty. Katie's voice just keeps getting better and her three compsisions and one co-write on this album show how fast the's evolving as a songwriter.
In answer to the guy on the previous page who thought Belfast (a KM composition from her first album, Call Off the Search) was naive because penguins can't fly, I hope you were joking. The 'cats' are Catholics and the 'penguins' are Protestants (think black suits, bowlers and marching).
on 31 May 2009
Enjoyed this recording, it has the song i was wishing to hear, which is 'i cried for you', which i was sent by a friend after my sister died. so i listen with love and memories. but i also enjoyed the whole disc, so hope you do too. Love that voice she has.
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2006
Fans of bluesy jazz-pop crooners Norah Jones and Joss Stone need to sit up and take notice of Katie Melua. Following up on the success of "Call off the Search" (2003), her much anticipated second album doesn't disappoint, and the twelve gorgeous tracks are guaranteed to mellow you to perfection.

Released since September 2005 in Europe, the Brits have a nine month jump on the USA, but finally this baby has arrived stateside amidst much rejoicing and celebration. Originally from Georgia (the former USSR, not the peachy place) and now settled in the UK, Katie's sultry voice curls around your speakers and nestles comfortably against your eardrums, and even though I'm no fan of either jazz or blues, I thoroughly enjoyed this album from the first listen.

First single "Nine Million Bicycles" is an excitingly different and unforgettable track that starts with a simple truth: "There are nine million bicycles in Beijing / That's a fact / It's a thing we can't deny / Like the fact that I will love you till I die." The music is hauntingly beautiful, perfectly matched by Katie's clean, clear vocals.

Although every track is a winner, there are those that cry out for more attention, namely "Just Like Heaven" from the movie soundtrack of the same name; the social commentary of "Spider's Web"; bouncy opener "Shy Guy" and the passionately performed title track; but let's not forget the cover of the Canned Heat 1960's hit "On the Road Again" and the catchy "Halfway Up the Hindu Kush". "Thank You, Stars" is another perfect song, and to be honest, I should be recommending every song on this album.

"Piece by Piece" is highly recommended for fans of blues, jazz, pop and intelligent yet romantic music, and that's no exaggeration.

Amanda Richards
on 29 September 2005
I'd love to say Piece by Piece was a huge improvement on Call Off The Search but in my opinion it isn't. Where Call Off The Search had some fairly strong tunes, Piece by Piece tends to be much blander.It's hard to recognise one track from the next.
On the positive side, her voice is as charming as ever and there are a couple of gems on there. Spiders Web is the best track and the opening track Shy Boy has an addicitive charm. Not quite sure where she goes from here though.More of the same will be the death knells of a successful career. Something a little more vibrant and punchy to break up the general blandness is desperately needed.
on 14 November 2005
It seems a long time since "Call off the search" but this follow up was well worth waiting for.Quite simply it is a mixture of the very good and even better.The album is predominantly new tracks several written by Katie Melua herself or Mike Batt and the album is a combination of blues,jazz,soul and commercial pop sometimes all on the same track."Nine million bicycles" is a splendidly catchy commercial number which not surprisingly made the singles charts but my favourites were more blues type tracks such as "Halfway up the Hindu Kush",Blue shoes and Shy boy.For some time I have felt that Katie Melua was the finest female non-classical singer since the late truly great Karen Carpenter.This excellent album confirms that view.
on 13 October 2005
I consider myself to be one of Katie's biggest fans.I go to a lot of her concerts and I was fortunate enough to meet her last year after she appeared at the Royal Albert Hall.She is a really gorgeous and likeable girl.Her follow-up CD to the superb Call Off The Search album has been a long time coming.So was it worth the wait? Well, yes and no! This album is a little too 'safe' for my liking. Yes, it contains good songs which are, of course, well sung. But there's no 'Closest Thing To Crazy' on this album. In my opionion, the album never quite gets going.The clever variation of songs on the first album is not to be found here and whereas on the first album I still listen throughout, I find myself jumping tracks on this one. Thank You Stars was a track on Katie's first single and it appears again here with a new arrangement and is probably the highlight for me.I would have liked a few more energetic tracks rather than the amount of laid back relaxed tracks which appear here.I suppose On The Road Again is more upbeat but that's about as lively as it gets. Sure the album will sell in bucketloads but I just hope that the next album will not take an identical route.Still for me though the best female singer since Patsy Cline.
on 10 October 2013
Blues in the Night, Spiders Web, Thank you Stars, Piece by Piece, Just Like Heaven and of Course Nine Million Bicycles; are all reason enough to by this, let alone the other tracks; but here you get a great Dvd containing 80 minutes worth of European tour footage and promos of Nine Million Bicycles, I Cried for You and Spiders Web".

What more could a Katie Melua fan want and at a steal of a price,

Excellent value.