5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome
Was looking for a 50-150 pair of good quality closed headphones,
Published on 24 July 2008 by Kaz

3.0 out of 5 stars No good for my requirements
I need these headphones whilst recording live music. I constantly am a short distance away from the speakers, and I need the headphones to exclude a lot of the ambient noise. They don't do this well. Yes they are closed back, but the external sound attenuation is not great. Not recommended for anyone working in a high noise environment(DJ's, videographers in live music...
Published 1 month ago by C. J. Elliott

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 24 July 2008
Kaz - See all my reviews
Was looking for a 50-150 pair of good quality closed headphones,
I read a lot of reviews before finally deciding on the Sony MDR7506 (Amazon.com, Google .etc) and I have to say they don't disappoint, these headphones sound great and are very comfortable (though give them a week to break in), I use them all day long and even whilst running on my treadmill as they stay-put and don't jump around.

I could name 30 different alternatives I looked at during my search but the few I narrowed the search down to (based purely on reviews) were the Sennheiser HD280pro (my second choice), Beyerdynamic DT770, Beyerdynamic DT 235, Sony MDR-V600 and the Sony MDR-7506.

The only down side to the Sony MDR-7506 to me was the lack of soft ear-pads (which is a personal choice), but I found even this to be easily fixed in the form of "Beyerdynamic DT250 Replacement Ear Pads" that are perfectly compatible and interchangeable with the Sony MDR-7506 Ear-pads, which was a superb find providing both quality and comfort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try out this quick test..., 25 April 2010
This review is from: SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed (Electronics)
Try out this quick test...

If you have a copy of 'Four Tet - There Is Love In You', then put on track 1 'Angel Echoes'.
Can you hear the background crackle playing through the intro to this track?
I couldn't until I bought my Sony MDR7506s.

The quality jump between the MDR7506s and my old Sennheisers is impressive. I'm an audio visual producer so naturally work with audio day in day out. My opinion? These are simply great headphones. I use them in the studio and on the tube (although the long curly cable isn't a great travel asset as it gets tangled and is difficult to store).

Things to bear in mind if you're considering MDR7506s...

- You're not buying a fashion statement like you are with say Dre's Monster Beats. To be fair, MDR7506s and Monster Beats are entirely different headphones (with massively different price tags!) but my point here is that you're probably gonna look a bit of a geek if you're wandering around town wearing your MDR7506s. But I still do it.
- These are studio monitor headphones designed for accurate playback. In other words they won't bump up your bass to crazy brain vibrating levels but they certainly don't render it flat. Sub-bass stuff like Burial, LFO, 4hero and more generally bleep and bass and dubstep all sound great.

Before buying I read about 'exposed' wires on the headphones, something that I never quite understood. Now I realise that these reviews are referring to the wire which carries audio between the left and right hand cans. Since the jack plug cable is wired straight into the left hand can only there's another wire enclosed within the head strap which takes audio over to the right hand can. As the headphones need to be adjustable for different head sizes this wire needs slack in it too. It's at the point where there's slack that the wire is exposed and liable to get caught, especially if you're commuting in them.

Fortunately I've not experienced any problems (yet! - 2 months and counting) but I've heard the odd horror story.
As such I'd absolutely recommend these headphones for studio work but probably not for commuting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cans, 21 Aug. 2007
This review is from: SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed (Electronics)
I bought these on the recommendation of a pro sound engineer and I'm very pleased with them. They sound great, are very comfortable to wear, and are currrently making recording a joy in my studio. I previously used Beyer DT100's and the Sony's are so much better in every department. They're enclosed so very good for studio use. I did try out the Sennheiser HD600 and Grado headphones as well when choosing, and money wasn't an object. I still ended up choosing the Sony's, which I think says a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to my ears, 17 Oct. 2009
P. Bell "Paulious" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed (Electronics)
Clear accurate sounding headphones, solid bass, crisp highs and great for more microscopic listening of your music. Highly recomended and you won't be disappointed with your purchase did a lot of research and for cost and performance they for me came out on top.SONY MDR7506 Studio Monitor Stereo Headphones [Electronics]

5.0 out of 5 stars Insane, 2 Mar. 2011
Dan (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed (Electronics)
I rarely type reviews...but this deserves one.

I'm just the average music listner (well maybe more than average to be honest..) at first I thought I'll get Dre beats being a hip hop listner, after some research I realised how poor that would've been. I found these, they looked great and had insane reviews so I purchased them. The delivery was so fast.

They're so comfy and fit so well on my ears. The sound is just amazing, the best i've ever heard, everyone song you can feel and experience the production. But if you do purchase these, you better start getting your music in very high quality because the poorer quality music (lower bit rates) really do sound bad.

The bass isn't too overwelming like alot of headphones these days. They're very crisp and clear and have a great balance. They're not quiet, they have a real punch. They're not noise cancelling (I don't think so anyway) but they do a great job of not leaking the music and keeping sound out of your ears.

Don't waste your money, I'm so glad I did my research and got these.

If you don't get these then you're not awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought these a year ago and haven't looked back., 7 Oct. 2011
This review is from: SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed (Electronics)
After a lot of painstaking research, wrestling with price point vs. performance and generally pulling my hair out I settled on the Sony MDR 7506.

It is far and away one of the best decisions i have EVER made.

It delivers the best per pound value for money sound quality of any brand or model out there, hands down.

I write for an electronic music publication so have to listen in detail to a lot of music (not that i'm complaining) - the first reviews I wrote after buying these were for Nicholas Jaar, Jamie XX and Gold Panda, the MDR 7506s made them all a joy.

Whether you a listening to Dubstep, Electro, Minimal, Classical, Indie, Blues, whatever - these cans will make the experience infinitely richer.

An added bonus to full cans in general but to these Sonys in particular is they form a very tight seal that cuts out a lot of surrounding noise without the need to up the volume. It has turned my commute from a chore to one of the best parts of my day.

Comparing Dre's Beats to these is like comparing a child's toy piano to a Steinway. The only perceivable advantage they have is in image, while the former may be more stylish, I feel perfectly comfortable wearing these in public, but maybe thats just me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks arn't everything!, 3 July 2009
This review is from: SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed (Electronics)
After 3 weeks of Rigorous Research I eventually went with Sony. And I'm glad I did.

I bought a New Synthesizer which required a pair of headphones somewhat more professional & sturdy! And Sony Claimed that these were Professional & Powerful. I also use headphones to Master. So I didn't need a pair that painted a pretty picture of sound!

I have to say that they don't disappoint. The reviews are correct. Even though the Previous Model boasts a larger Frequency Range, these seem to be balanced along the entire spectrum. With No Peeks or Dips.

Sound: The Bass is smooth, Punchy & Low. The Treble I thought was lacking at first, but this was just because I was used to the Piercing Highs of my Previous Technics RP-F350 Headphones. The Mid-Range is Dynamic, clear but not up front like many other cans.
You can turn them up pretty Loud and they show no sign of distorting! The Bass (although doesn't blow your ears off!) copes well, & everything else increases with 'The Balance!'

Their Comfort: When I got them out of the box I thought the worst.. I thought they looked like the kind that go 'On' your ears, Not over them. The holes look small but this is because the only part of the Human ear that really sticks out is at the back. So yes! They DO fit over the ears & they are extremely comfortable.

Sound Isolation: Sound going in I'd say they cut out about 70-75%. Which is good for a pair that don't boast 'Sound Isolation'.
Sound coming out of the Headphones is more like 90-95%. Which is so handy for Recording vocals & Monitoring. Very Impressive.

Looks: All in Black with the Sony Logo & Model in a non-intrusive silver. L (Left) is in blue, R (Right) is in Red. Yes, there are 2 Bare wires, but they are clapped accordingly. So unless you tug at them deliberately, they are secure. Headband is fully padded all way round. And they fold to a small size that fits inside the pouch that is supplied.

-PROS-

-Sound is well balanced & keeps balanced during volume change.
-Very Comfortable, providing you're not Mr Spock.
-Sound Isolation is a Nice added bonus

-CONS-

-The Phone-Cord Wire is very irritating & gets tangled easily.
-A 50mm Driver would have been nice for extra power, & for the Money.
-The Bare Wire will make a few uneasy.

Overall: These Cans don't say "Look at me", they say "Listen to Me", because they are Professional. Just sort the Wires out Sony & you have a Winner hear! (Excuse the pun!)

A year later & they are as reliable as ever! And the sound quality just keeps improving!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 2 Aug. 2009
C. Duarte - See all my reviews
This review is from: SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed (Electronics)
Very confortable, solid and durable. The sound seems quite flat wich is great. For the price, I dont think theres any better studio headphones out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very balanced sound with smooth, deep bass, a clear mid range and detailed highs without being too harsh, 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed (Electronics)
In our musical house, the four of us have a total of 12 pairs of earphones/ headphones between us (the majority being Sennheiser models). A pair of earbuds for each iPod, a lightweight set for the laptop and a pair of full-size cans for tv and stereo. I still have my pair of Sennheiser HD 414 that I bought new 20 years ago (awaiting a new cable) so I listen to 2 or 3 different pairs per day. All are squarely in budget territory, £30 - £40 and they have been great. But I have been reading too many top-end reviews and always hankered after a really good set of headphones. But could I justify the expense?

Then I was reading a great review site, the Wirecutter, and came across their review of the best $150 headphones, [...]

And when I saw their test winners were only £69 on here Sold by Appods and Fulfilled by Amazon with Super Saver Delivery I thought I'd splash out.

I was aware that there were some fakes out there and checked out some unboxing videos on Youtube which clearly show the differences in packaging and product. I am glad to report that the set I received from Appods are genuine.

I have been wearing them for the last 4 hours and they sound great, head and shoulders better than all our other headphones. A very balanced sound with smooth, deep bass, a clear mid range and detailed highs without being too harsh.

They are lighter than all our other full-size cans and very comfortable. They isolate well, preventing outside sounds coming in and also not leaking much out.

I'm very pleased with these Sony MDR-7506 headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones, 28 Feb. 2009
This review is from: SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed (Electronics)
Some years ago I bought some fairly inexpensive Sony headphones, which quite impressed me. Eventually, with a broken lead they needed replacing and I bought some top-of-the-range AKG ones. The Sony headphones were noticeably superior, and so I decided to buy Sony again. In conjunction with an M-audio Audiophile card the sound is sublime.

SONY PRO MDR7506 Headphones Pro closed