Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 December 2004
Within Temptation's previous album (Mother Earth) was interesting, pastoral themed gothic & folky metal (Like "All About Eve" only with the added metal guitars and keyboards)
It worked well enough but as an album it was a bit uneven.
The Silent Force sees WT really come into their own and embrace the power of the full orchestra. Amazingly, they've pulled it off and the orchestration has brought grandeur without bombast and bold sweeping sounds without the excesses of opera.
It's the best album I've bought this year (and believe me I've bought a few).
Stand My Ground is a great track for hooking in the casual listener and is close enough to songs by Lacuna Coil, Nightwish or even Evanessence to get mainstream attention, but the rest of the album is best listened to as a whole piece.
The bonus tracks A Dangerous Mind and Swan Song on the 'special edition' are both excellent additions and feel very much like part of the album.
Current favourite tracks are Stand My Ground, Angels, It's the Fear and Swan Song, but there really isn't a bad track on the album.
To sum up, if you liked their last album, you should adore this one. If you like Nightwish 'Once', this is similar but in my opinion a better album.
If you like the sound of female fronted metal with a symphonic backdrop, you'll love this and if none of that appeals to you, I'd urge you to give it a chance.
on 12 August 2007
bought their latest album which I thought was very good. This though is a sheer masterpiece. Funny after listening to this and going back to The Heart of...it didn't quite grab me so much. This album has the melodies, sublime vocals and just enough heavy touches to keep you wanting more. Probably would appeal to anyone not just heavy merchants. What a voice, possibly the best ever. Buy it, put on the headphones, turn it up and dream away.....
on 12 January 2008
This is brilliant stuff. Quite simply - aural ecstacy. It oozes class.

I've been searching for years for an album by a (heavy) rock group that would really be uplifting and would satisfy my musical "hunger". This is it, this is the one.

If you are a rock fan of any sort, you need to get this in your collection.

The mixture of the excellent female vocal, the orchestral sounds, the heavy riffs, the atmospheric melodies, the contrasting and beautiful haunting slower tracks is breathtaking.

Each track is strong and "memorable" and, after a couple or three plays of the album, you'll not be able to get some of the tunes/riffs out of your head.

It is the only album that has ever sent shivers up my backbone and given me such adrenaline rushes on the first listen, let alone the hundredth time I've played it, since about 6 weeks ago!

I dropped onto this album by accident by following a link, after listening to quite a bit of Nightwish.

In my opinion, this group are far better than Nightwish and are going to be absolutely GIGANTIC. I understand they are growing rapidly in popularity in Europe - it's not difficult to understand why!

I have also bought all WT's other albums and DVDs, on the strength of this - and I really love their work. Their live act on the Silent Force tour, which I saw on the DVD, is excellent.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this group live next time they come to the UK.

I would give this album 20 stars out of 20. In my opinion, it's the closest to "rock album perfection" that I've ever heard - and I've been listening for about 40 years!!!!
on 8 September 2005
Within Temptation is a hugely popular band in their native Holland, recently scooping "Best Selling Dutch Artist" at the World Music Awards in LA. This album went to number 1 in the Netherlands and reached number 5 across Europe. So now, they've hit our shores with The Silent Force. Female fronted with the very talented Sharon den Adel, Within Temptation are able to tickle most people's fancies with their unique blend of smooth melodious vocals, contrasted with very catch guitar riffs and heavy beats. For fans of Nightwish and Evanescence, this is the latest offering of female fronted rock bands.
The album beings with a short introduction which leads straight in See Who I Am, possibly the catchiest song on the album. The dramatic opening gives way to vocals as smooth as silk. It urges you to move your head and listen to the gorgeous melodies. Dubbed "hopelessly romantic pop-metal", this song doesn't convince you to think of anything else. Except maybe "wow". If track two doesn't grab you, try Jillian (I'd Give My Heart); Slow beginning which leads to a cacophony of quite simply, beautiful vocals. Again, a very catchy chorus with operatic vocals which are very complimentary to the instrumental support from an orchestra. This song gets slower towards the end but does not disappoint.
Stand My Ground: In my opinion, the best song on the album. It's wonderfully catchy with a good message of self-defence thrown in. Also, very gentle on the ears at the beginning and dripping emotion. Still in keeping with the slower verses and the stark contrast of the faster bridges and choruses, the song teases with the end of the bridge before plunging into heart-felt choruses that urge you to sing along.
Pale is a particularly slow song with use of woodwind instruments create a sensation of calm. The vocals are gothic creating an aura of sadness combined with the slower pace of the song, Pale is by far the most romantic and the shortest song on the album. Nothing really ground-breaking here, but it does make you appreciate the next song, Forsaken a whole lot more. Forsaken immediately plunges you into a choir backed with full guitar riffs and hard drum beats. This song still isn't particularly fast, but it definitely has a richer sound. The thick guitar riffs carry the song along, contrasting still with the slower vocals which seem to slow the song down. The chorus saves this song but it still doesn't do a lot for the rest of the album.
The next track is Angels. This song is where it's at. It's beautiful, it's dramatic and it's a faster. Angels is one of the highlights to this album. It urges you to sing along and move your head as well as inciting emotions within you. The song ends with a small amount of piano, ending the song just right.
Memories is another good song, slow to begin with it soon gives way to a soft drum beat overlaid with melodious vocals. Memories is quite a sad song as well as being very chilled out but still with a very passionate chorus, and a beautiful ending.
Aquarius is the other passionately catchy song with very dramatic drum and guitar parts leading to the chorus. Again, quite sad but still oozing emotion and charm. Not really sure what the point of this song is, but still hugely enjoyable and hopelessly romantic. I just love the ending to this song, the slow decent into a close with a slow, melancholy instrumental and lone voice.
Its The Fear is another head-bopper. The title is much more pretentious than the song, so don't worry - it's not another nu-metal band trying-to-be-scary. Instead, this song is reminiscent of Lacuna Coil. The vocals are once more smooth and beautiful with the background dense with atmosphere created by the band and also the small orchestra that seems to lurk in the background of each song. It has a "guitar solo" in the middle, which is more like a small break for the singer, rather than the guitarist doing anything interesting. In fact, you hardly notice it other than the fact the vocals have stopped.
Somewhere reminds me of a pop band trying to be heavy or at least, deep and meaningful. Fortunately, Within Temptation pulls it off and creates an almost magical song. Unfortunately however, it is a little bit boring and nothing much distinguishes one part from another. At least you have violins gently moving the song along. The vocals are once again on top-form and very smooth. You can't see Sharon den Adel puffing away on cigarettes before they play.
Destroyed* is at last a song that properly gets going. Very strong vocal performances and an extremely pleasant rock song. Good strong guitars and drums, and of course the orchestral accompaniment that comes with the territory. Destroyed is by far the most beautiful song on the album, while being one of the most emotive. It does seem to end a bit abruptly though, but that's probably because its one of my favourites and I wish it didn't have to end. Onto the last song of the album, Jane Doe*, not a cover! It was written by Sharon del Adel. Jane Doe features another very strong vocal performance (does she ever mess up?) It opens with a guitar being played and then the drums follow. You hear growling which is to be assumed to be coming from a male member of the band. The song quickly enters a bridge and chorus and then just as soon as it began, it's over. Within Tempation's The Silent Force is out now on Roadrunner Records and is absolutely amazing. Well worth every penny, if you must download first, then please try out Stand My Ground, See Who I Am, Aquarius, Destroyed. For Fans of Nightwish, Evanescence and Lacuna Coil.
on 2 December 2004
It worked well enough but as an album it was a bit uneven.
It's the best album I've bought this year (and believe me I've bought a few).
Current favourite tracks are Stand My Ground, Angels & It's the Fear , but there really isn't a bad track on the album.
on 3 September 2005
I adore this band, and so it's really exciting from my point of view to see them finally get a relase in the UK. Big, grandiose symphonic gothic metal, with semi-operatic vocals from a woman with the best frock sense the rock world has seen in many a year - you can't go too far wrong.
And that voice... I rate Sharon Den Adel's as one of the very best examples of this type of powerful, melodic female vocals, you get no growling or screaming from her, just notes of such purity and clarity that fellow vocalists like me have to sit back and quietly turn a fetching shade of emerald.
Memorable tunes, a fine sense of drama, and a knack of knowing when to risk going thoroughly over the top and when to subtly back down. Continental europe has become a hotbed of bands such as Within Temptation, Nightwish and their ilk, and now the UK gets a chance to experience it all up close and personal. Maybe we'll start producing our own contenders for the crown in the not too distant future...?
on 24 August 2006
I've been a huge fan of Within Temptation since 2000. That's when their previous album 'Mother Earth' was released. Ever since 'Mother Earth' they have changed their musical direction a little bit but it's still fantastic. 'The Silent Force' is yet again a fantastic album with great songs. Just like their previous albums there isn't a song on the cd that I don't like. But my personal favourites are: See Who I Am, Angels, Pale and Somewhere.

So if you're a fan of Within Temptation and you only know this album I can definetely recommend their previous albums: Mother Earth, Enter and The Dance.

The first two albums are great but not as good as Mother Earth and The Silent Force. However, if you're not bothered by this, I think you'll really like these as well.

Within Temptation is just a great band with great albums and that's all there is to say.
on 4 July 2005
It's a steeper price than the ordinary copy of The Silent Force, but the presentation of the CD cover and cases, the colour postcards of the band.. it's so worth the money you pay for it. All the songs on there just blow you away, not a duff song on that album. "Stand My Ground," "It's The Fear," "Memories," "Aquarius," and "Somewhere" have GOT to be my faves. Seriously, this album is so good. I have "Pale" stuck in my head. I would recommend it for anyone who likes Evanescence, because there are small similarities between the two, but WT have got to be the better of the two bands - by far! The CD came very quickly as well, I ordered it Friday and it arrived Monday morning. I have heard a few of the tracks off their previous album "Mother Earth" and am considering buying that too.
All in all.. great band, and, uh - buy it!
on 4 December 2006
Within Temptation's third full length album is probably their most majestic. Recorded with the aid of an 80 piece orchestra WT manage to bring huge effects into easily accessible songs. From the operatic Intro we're straight into three bombastic tunes (See Who I Am, Jillian and Stand My Ground) before stopping for the atmospheric ballad Pale, with Sharon den Adel's voice backed by beautiful celtic instruments. Other songs such as Forsaken and Aquarius are more akin to WT's earlier albums while Memories creates a poignant but simple ballad. This a beautifully put together and produced album, especially Sharon's vocal work. However die hard metal fans will probably be put off by the lack of crunching guitars and solos, however The Silent Proves that there are more instruments in this world than the guitar
on 18 October 2005
I bought this CD after seeing the video on Scuzz for Stand My Ground. The morning after getting the CD from Amazon, I stuck the CD in the car CD Player and began my journey..... Driving along I was aware that the hairs on the back of my neck were standing on end. I shivered... The awesome intro, then into See Who I Am. Stratospheric vocals aka Renaissance, a phenomenal Bass Sound, a choir to die for & orchestration as well! Every song touched emotions rarely felt. There are songs here for all genres. From Celtic to Operatic, Rock to Metal. Song structure, dynamics and Sharon's vocals....Awesome. Needless to say, I had to hear the whole album and was 30 minutes late for work!! Buy it, You deserve it!