4.0 out of 5 stars It gets better with each play!
Published on 12 April 2006 by Bell

2.0 out of 5 stars Love it or Hate it ?
I bought this album on the strength of several newspaper reviews, as I do with many other albums. Some I like, some I love and some I listen to repetatively, yet I always listen to a whole album at least once. This was the first time I've had to give up before I reached the end on my first listening. I couldn't take the strangled cat anymore. Fortunately I was...
Published on 16 Nov. 2005 by Charlie

4.0 out of 5 stars It gets better with each play!, 12 April 2006
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Audio CD)
I bought this after reading several mixed reviews for this album and am really glad I didn't take them at their word. It is unlike anything I have ever heard before. The vocals are a mix of a scratched 78 of Billie Holiday /Josephine Baker (I imagine)and an opera singer singing something by Barber all put together on helium. There are a few animal sounds thrown in, look out for the cockrel and kitten to name a few. Anthony from Anthony and the Johnsons appears on Beautiful Boyz with his androgynous influence but the best tracks for me are South 2nd (which is akin to The Be Good Tanyas) , Noahs Ark and Disounours - All of this is on a background of sweet piano, harpsicord and drum machine.

This is far better than the first album La Maison ... which I bought at the same time. As someone said, you will either love or hate this and I have to say I am growing to love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Form your own opinion, 28 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Audio CD)
I beleive it has to be said anyone who does buy it to form their own opinion is doing the right thing. I think it is a beautifully strung together album.

Every song has a story behind it and you can inturperate it anyway you want. its a good listen, when you just want to lie back and not have to get up again to switch the song. There are beautiful and simple songs like noahs ark and beautiful boys. and then there are the ones that progress and change for example k-hole. they are experimental, and I think it is working for them. cocorosie are a good team, and I wish every luck to them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful girlz, 24 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Audio CD)
The first time I listened through to this album I firstly thought; its strange, then I thoought; i need to listen to it again...immediately! Safe to say, I loved it from the start.

Some other reviewer seem to have been freaked out about some of the weird sound that cocorosie use, such as the cats meowing on song 4, BUT it is mixed and timed so well that after a few listens, the cats and other stuff just seem like instrument in their own right which compliment each other perfectly.
I keep changing my mind about my favourite song; 'South 2nd', 'Noah's ark', 'The Sea is Calm', 'Beautiful Boyz'...I think this is a good sign; it makes you want to keep listening. As an album, it is a joy to listen to and you notice something new each time you hear it. It holds your attention to the end.
A word about the Cassady's voices...amazingly different, haunting and yet (again) complimentary. There is even a Billy Holliday sound thrown into this album in the way one of the sisters (not sure which is which) strains and distorts her voice, particularly on Beautiful Boyz.
If you like it, you might like...Bjork, Air, Sigur Ros...

5.0 out of 5 stars sublime significance, 10 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Audio CD)
Well, we all would like to think that our musical taste is a reflection of our personality. But every so often, serendipty kicks in and we hear something that moves us beyond our personal space. I heard this in a trendy "alternative' store in Scotland of all places and the kindly assistant sold it pre-release. It is haunting, deeply addictive and of course, not conventional. Lyrics are always secondary to the primary medium of sound, but they creep in when you are hooked. So what is the nearest comparison.forget it... the girls are really talented and unique.

5.0 out of 5 stars a second beautiful offering, 16 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Audio CD)
I was terribly excited to hear there was a new cocorosie offering... And upon hearing it, i am confused as to why it seems to have absorbed a few overly critical reviews..?
It still consists of that enchanting awkwardness that made their debut so beautiful. It succeeds in offering something new too. More operatic vocals from Siera Casady flow through the album.. and Bianca's haunting and untame voice is still present.
This album is a sensitive and thoughtful offering, and a beautiful addition to the cocorosie collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance., 21 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Audio CD)
The reviews here don't seem to be in favour of this album. I think these two sisters have produced an amazing album. If you liked the first, then this shouldn't let you down, if you're willing to give it a good listen. Perhaps it won't strike you as something you think is amazing straight the way, but it may just catch you off guard at some point with it's mysterious sound and with the wonderful atmosphere it can create for you. Very original music. It had me at hello.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album by an engaging duo, 6 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Audio CD)
I'm really surprised to see so many mixed reviews on this album. And I know music and art is subjective, like so many likes and dislikes in life.

This album is actually a masterpiece of music, emotion, vocation and thought; more like a form of art than simply two girls creating music they so obviously love to play.

The vocals are simply beautiful,haunting and chilling.. not all art is pictures of flowers. The track South 2nd definately a highlight of the album. Listen to the track from youtube, and google the lyrics.. Amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superior, 14 Nov. 2005
Ian Shine (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Audio CD)
Better than 'La Maison...' for my money. 'Armagedon' and 'Noah's Ark' are way better than anything on 'La Maison...', and the album as a whole works better than their first offering. It's possibly 'harder to get' at first, just because it's less conventional, but now I find 'La Maison...' quite tedious, even though I loved it before I heard 'Noah's Ark'. This is better than anything Bjork has done since Vespertine, and more visceral than Joanna Newsom.

5.0 out of 5 stars CocoRosie are otherworldly, 24 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Audio CD)
Hard to compare to anything I've ever listened to before! The two sisters are a magical combination of styles and voices, and the tracks have a similar essence but they are each one original in their approach.
My favourite ones are Noah's Ark and its playful tune and the next one on my list is Beautiful Boyz, with its haunting lyrics and Antony from Antony and the Johnsons' wonderful intervention.
I am glad I found out about this band and their inventive style, they have definitely opened up a new understanding of music for me!

Looking forward to purchasing their other albums!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but the lyrics can be quite challenging, 9 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Noah's Ark (Audio CD)
I very very much like Cocorosie. This is a great record from the sisters, the sound is amazing, full, unexpected yet absolutely recognisable as them. I do, however, find the lyrics occasionally a bit hard to bear but, of course, that's the message they are putting across! So, I think it is really great and they are wonderful artists and musicians but, just in my case, I try to 'hear the other way' when the words are heavy going.

Noah's Ark
Noah's Ark by CocoRosie (Audio CD - 2005)