1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I imagined, 10 Jan 2006
This review is from: TomTom Navigator 5 Series (Software Only & Maps of Western Europe & GB) (CD-ROM)
I had recently been reading nightmare stories in the press and on the Internet about SatNav software, in particular TomTom, mostly concerning the accuracy of the maps. Being the sort of person who constantly gets lost, I went ahead anyway and bought TomTom Navigator 5 for my Palm Treo 650. I already had a small Bluetooth GPS receiver and a 512Mb SD card. Installing the software was a bit of a nightmare. The main program installed OK but I couldn't get the maps to install on my SD card using Palm's standard HotSync software so had to use a card reader instead. However the application just would not launch and only after extensive research did I discover that I needed the UK (not US!) upgrade from the TomTom website (version 5.12 to 5.2x). After that it suddenly worked. It was worth all the trouble. Being a software developer myself I am very impressed by the attention to detail, the user interface, the stability, the clean uncluttered interface (not an easy task on a small screen), and the way they squeezed such an impressive and complex piece of software into a handheld. Despite displaying the odd roundabout as a crossroad, and the odd sharp corner as a turning, I found the maps to be clear and concise. The voice prompts are impressive and clear (the voice even automatically becomes louder the faster you drive - nice touch). It will recalculate routes for you if you deviate or if you tell it there is a road block or jam. On top of the map the amount of info displayed on the screen is great too: next turning, how far to go, road names, nearest larger road, time remaining etc. Routes are very easy to set up. I didn't even have to use the instructions. All in all it is not perfect but far exceeded my expectations. A very happy customer. Hope they sort out the installation. For the less technically minded I recommend buying an out-of-the-box TomTom Go instead - same software but easier to set up.

TomTom Navigator 5 Series (Software Only & Maps of Western Europe & GB)
Used & New from: 18.99