4.0 out of 5 stars A great start
I saw the first 6 episodes of this show when it premiered on Channel 5 - I admit that I am a Gary Sinise fan, that's why recorded the first few episodes - but what I saw on tv I hated. It made no sense. Then this year I got the box set and with a degree of trepidation started watching and I was suprised by how much I liked it.

I wondered why I didn't like it...
Published on 31 Oct 2008 by Su

3.0 out of 5 stars CSI
Disappointed and got fed up very quickly at the very excessive sound effects that nearly took the roof off my house

R Carroll
Published 5 months ago by R. Carroll

4.0 out of 5 stars A great start, 31 Oct 2008
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: C.S.I: Crime Scene Investigation - New York - Season 1 Part 1 [DVD] [2004] (DVD)

I wondered why I didn't like it when I first saw it, so I dug out my videos and took a look, and discovered that the first episode had been edited to 26 minutes in length (the 2nd was 32 minutes, the 3rd was 29 minutes), once I saw this I realised that the heavy editing of Channel 5 had ruined the show.

I was glad that I had watched and have watched them several times since, I admit that the later seasons are much improved on season 1 - the actors seem to fit and understand their roles better as the seasons go on.

I am, as I have said, a Gary Sinise fan and appreciate the motivation behind his playing of the role, the coolness towards others is understandable when you realise the tragedy his character has suffered - and it's nice to see that the recovery from such a devastating loss is not being passed over as quickly as other shows would have.

Overall a great series and a great season - (sorry but I'm back on my usual hobby horse) region 2 dvd = 2nd class dvd viewers or to put it another way, no extras!!!

Come on Hollywood, we pay more than Americans do for dvds so why the poor treatment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, destined for great things..., 23 Feb 2010
A. J. Kirkham - See all my reviews
Whether you've seen the other CSIs or not, CSI:NY is not one to disappoint. Right from the first episode we identify with the characters played wonderfully by New York actors alongside some brilliant directing and special effects. The series is led by CSI Mac Taylor, (Gary Sinise) who lost his wive in the 9/11 bombings, and while not being as dry as Horatio from CSI Miami, he certainly has a well developed personality that becomes familiar to the viewer right from the start. An amazing start to the series and for under £10, you really can't afford to miss it.

3.0 out of 5 stars CSI, 13 April 2014
R. Carroll "roncar" (New Zealand) - See all my reviews

R Carroll

5.0 out of 5 stars Csi, 28 Sep 2013
Great service will be buying from again and seller will be my first choice for any further csi purchases. *****

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 20 Jan 2013
I loved the product, exactly what I wanted and it was as advertised.
The product was in perfect condition and I would buy from them again

5.0 out of 5 stars something good to watch, 24 May 2012
We started watching this on sky tv which was the more resent series so we wanted to see them from the begining.Ordered series one and two. We find them interesting with great stories,looking forward to series three and four.

5.0 out of 5 stars serious must have for CSi NY fans, 5 April 2012
what are you waiting for.
Stop reading every reviews and go buy one for yourself.
You will surely enjoy very episode.
Highly recommended.
By it now here at amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic series, 7 Jan 2010
an amazing series well worth buying as i could watch it time and time agen

3.0 out of 5 stars CSI:NY, 30 July 2005
Yes, it's another CSI spin-off and this time the seedy casinos of Las Vegas and the greedy gators of Miami are replaced by the grey and dull skyscrapers of New York. After a disappointing pilot episode (about a man attempting to fully paralyse his female victims but instead ending up killing them) the show really starts to kick off - and the characters are revealed to not only be super-slick crime investigating machines but to have actual feelings as well and the inter-character relationships also start to develop. As so many cases have already be done before on the previous two CSI series the plots in CSI:NY are unsurprisingly more elaborate/far-fetched - what with skeletons being dumped on buses; plastic bag massacres; hip-hop and sushi scandals; sleep walking slaying and much more! Therefore you've either got to accept it as some thrilling escapist fun or fume when Mac or Stella yet again finds the vital, case-solving piece of evidence. Despite being integral in the whole CSI genre the normal double murder case per episode can get a bit tedious especially when they don't link in anyway. Furthermore the fast pace of each episode detracts from its plausibility and ensures less time for character development. However despite all this, CSI:NY is definitely a boost and not a hindrance to the CSI franchise - once you've acquainted yourself with monotone Mac and 'freaky hair day' Stella and their crime solving style it's just a matter of sitting back, relaxing and enjoying the show, in moderation - I suggest only two episodes a week or it could get boring. The effects are also better as CSI:NY is the most modern of the trio and the bird's eye view shots of NY's impressive cityscape are used to great effect. As CSI:NY was the first of the trio I ever saw I prefer it to the original but in all fairness it probably isn't as good as it relies more on cool gadgets; shiny new sets; slick camerawork and fast paced action than it does good character acting - mainly because there just isn't enough time between the endless investigations for the characters to sit down and have a good chat...but do we really want to watch Stella and Mac discussing their favourite type of bagel when they could be out in the field solving some fascinating crimes?! (And just to warn you the opening credits are appalling and suitably cheesy for any US series).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Sep 2014