5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but true - I love this film
Loved this film when I was a kid, and now that I've kids of my own - I still love it !

Telling the story of Flash Gordon's trip to Mongo to try and rescue Earth for the wicked designs of Ming the Merciless : Ruler of the Universe.

This film is over the top in all departments : from Brian Blessed's brilliantly loud Vultan, through the cheesy sets and...
Published on 11 April 2007 by Douglas Traill

3.0 out of 5 stars Saviour of the Universe
The film itself gets 5 stars from me everytime. But alas, the transfer is simply not worth it and the U.S. release is far superior in quality.

I purchased the Steelbook so that I would have the nice container to display in my film collection, I also have the previous DVD Steelbook release that contains the joyous commentary by Brian Blessed which is absent...
Published on 7 Sep 2010 by Beard Moen

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make 'em like this any more, 15 Sep 2004
Sally-Anne "mynameissally" (Leicestershire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flash Gordon [DVD] (DVD)
Earth is under attack by a comic-book villain. Governments refuse to believe Dr Zarkoff, the one scientist who understands what's happening. Who will save us? The all American football star and comic-book hero, Flash Gordon is on the job! He saves the girl, teaches the hopeless, divided and conquered races of Mongo about team-work and, together, they sort out the bad guys of Ming's evil empire. From the time he messed with Flash and tried to molest Flash's girl, the days of Ming the Merciless were numbered.
It's tacky, colourful, fast, loud and a lot of fun. The inside of Ming's palace looks like a combination of a brothel and a bingo hall and Ming (Max Von Sydow) is made up to look like the madam (with more than the usual amount of facial hair for a lady). The costumes are dazzling and extravagant - even when Flash is about to be executed and wearing nothing but a minimal pair of shorts, they're 'mighty' shorts, fit for a hero. Prince Vultan and his hawk men are the best. If only Daedalus and Icarus had made their wings out of papier māché like the bird men of Mongo, instead of wax and feathers, Icarus might have made it. Brian Blessed plays the role of Vultan and even though he's dressed like a chicken, he reminded me of every other role I've ever seen him play: Augustus in 'I Claudius', Edmund's dad (King Richard IV) in the first 'Black Adder', Spiro in 'My Family and other Animals' - or just being himself, giving an interview whilst tramping up a mountain. I haven't seen the new film: 'Alexander' yet but I bet Leonidas will be easily recognisable in every particular as Brian Blessed - and none the worse for that. The film is still one of my favourites after over 20 years and I hadn't realized until buying the DVD that Peter Wyngarde (that fop from the 70's series 'Jason King') plays the dreaded Klytus.
I've read some scathing reviews of this film - not here, where the reviewers know a good thing when they see it - but elsewhere. The actors are accused of being wooden or overacting and the film of being 'overblown'. It's hard to understand how anyone could fail to see the humour, love the music and generally enjoy this film, but those people do exist. So I recommend this film to people who have a well developed sense of humour and a healthy capacity for enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Gordon's Alive?!", And Looks and Sounds Better Than Ever!, 9 Mar 2006
This review is from: Flash Gordon (Silver Aniversary Edition) [1980] [DVD] (DVD)
There is no question that this movie is total cheese. Having said that, I'll explain now why I love it so much!
"Flash" was released when I was an innocent 10 year-old (innocent 10 year-olds are actually getting less and less common), and I never missed a sci-fi/adventure flick at the local small town, one cinema theatre. "Flash Gordon" was different from then contemporary space adventures. It was colourful, uptempo (alot of this had to do with Queen's great score), inventive, and rather goofy. It looked like a live-action cartoon! I know I saw this film at least half a dozen times during it's release, and then as often as possible when it aired on HBO.
The DVD quality is better than I would've expected, and the somewhat lively audio track caused my home theatre to thump to Queen's "Flash...AAHHH!" theme. The special effects still don't reflect the reported $35 million (hefty for the time) budget, but it just doesn't matter. I ordered from Amazon.co.uk because the only version available in the U.S. is an out of print copy selling for over fifty dollars! I got the Silver Anniversary Edition from the UK for under $18 (shipping included), and less than a week after ordering! Great job, Amazon!
Okay, so I didn't really explain why I love this film to this day. Maybe it's just for Ornella Muti... But it holds a special place in my heart, along with other films from the time like "Superman II","Raiders of the Lost Ark", and "Empire Strikes Back". As a matter of fact, I believe it's inspired modern film, to some degree. With it's rich colours and cinematography, I would call it a visual feast - maybe a "Fifth Element" for it's time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest Silly Fun, 22 Aug 2010
James Cameron "Artist / Filmmaker / Nerd" (a world of my own) - See all my reviews
A lot has already been said about the lack of extras in this blu-ray edition of one of my favourite lazy sunday afternoon films - but I couldn't care less simply because the film itself is so good and is surprisingly good in full HD glory.

VIDEO:
I've seen a number of comments where people have complained about this new HD transfer looking like the contrast has been set too high, I all honesty comparing it to my old no-frills dvd copy I couldn't see much of a difference.
The picture is nice and clean but does have a few bugs more due to the way the special effects were created which are quite noticiable, however this just adds to the charm of this silly, over the top action sci-fi romp. All in all I think this is about as good as it''s ever going to look without giving it the god-aweful "PREDATOR: ULTIMATE EDITION" treatment which I still can't get over how bad it is...but that's another story.

AUDIO:
A good clean mix which came pumping out of my old 5.1 surround system with all the clarity I've come to expect. No frills here but that's to be expected.

EXTRAS:
The extras are the main reason I bought this blu-ray...the steelbox case comes packing not only the film, but a copy of the incredible Queen soundtrack on CD. The second thing that everyone remebers about this film (the first being the amazingly over the top performance by the great Brian Blessed)
The on disc extras are thin and certainly dispointing if you bought the last dvd edition to be released which was fully stacked. But as I've pointed out before, I''m in it for the film, not the disc bagage.

SUMMARY:
Got a couple of hours to blow on a silly sci-fi action flick? then come and enjoy this slice of early 80's goodness and then enjoy the rock-soundtrack on your ipod on your rounds and learn that sometimes, nostalgia is all about fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flash Gordon, 2 Jan 2006
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
“Flash Gordon” is pure pantomime, right down from the over the top gaudy costumes to the perfectly stereotypical baddies and goodies that we can all boo, hiss and cheer as we please. It really is like seeing a comic book come to life and it’s such a relief that the film makers went for the rather amateur looking sets and backdrops rather than try some over hyped special effects which would have detracted from the brilliance of the film.
Flash Gordon is the all star quarter back for the New York Jets is returning from vacation when a freek storm causes his plane to crash on the remote scientific research centre of Doctor Hans Zarkov. Little do both Flash and Zarkov (and the lovely Dale Arden who has somehow got caught up in all this) that the storm has been conjured up to destroy Earth by the heartless ruler of the empire Ming the Merciless. When Zarkov’s own rocket is intercepted by Ming’s troops and the three unlikely comrades are taken prisoner.
Ming decides that very different fates must await the trio, Zarkov is to be taken a brainwashed to become one of Ming’s own secret police whilst poor Dale is to be married to the ugly old brute. Alas for Flash the very worst awaits as he has been sentenced to death, but with the Emperor’s own daughter taking a very unhealthy interest in our hero the big question is with only 14 hours to go, can Flash really save the Earth?
Again it’s one of those films where the slight imperfection of it all actually makes it a brilliant film. The acting is either totally wooden or totally hammy, the costumes are ridiculous and the special effects non-existent and yet it all wraps together quite fantastically. A couple of highlights to mention would be Brian Blessed’s fantastic Prince Vultan, Topol’s offbeat Hans Zarkov, the brilliantly cheesy one-liners and the perfect musical score from the great Queen.
One final mention must go to both Melody Anderson and Ornella Muti (as Dale and Princess Aura respectively) for not only wearing some of the most revealing and teenage dream inspiring costumes ever, but also for their very enjoyable pillow fight! Brilliant!

3.0 out of 5 stars US region free, 1 Oct 2010
If anyones interested the US version is region free and plays perfectly on my UK PS3. So I've put 3 stars for this as its shown in other reviews that the UK version is an inferior transfer.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Ahh - Ahhhhhh. He's a mircale!", 5 Sep 2007
i wrote this "i did" (Bucks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
How many films are so good that they please fans of clasic sci fi, action cinema and sequins in equal measure?
That's how great Flash Gordon is!
The extras on this DVD release are equally brilliant, offering a mix of excitement and campery that perfectly match the movie itself. The previous DVD was a vanilla affair so this edition comes as a welcome treat. And last time I checked it was better then the region 1 release too - thank you Momentum pictures!

For those of you who crave adventure, excitment and insite into the creative process I can recommend the Mike Hodges commentary and interview. He talks about his career, the producer, the set designer, the fall out between the star and the studio, the original Flash Gordon comic strips, he even compares the movie to the Gulf conflict. Everything you could possibly want!

For those addicted to the film's more ridiculous side you get the Brian "Gordon's ALIVE!" Blessed commentary. This should be kept safe for future generations to listen to and quiver as it is the most text book example of a lame DVD commentary I have heard, and really quite charming for it. Blessed does all the things you dread when you sit down to watch a commentary:
He says what luvvies all the other actors where, he relates tedious on set stories about standing around waiting for the next shot, he's silent for long periods of time, he repeats himself, he runs out of things to say so decribes what's happening on screen. Best of all, he claims every piece of characterisation as his own idea ("I told Max VonSydow to do that with his finger! His whole performance came from his fingers!" "Timothy Dalton didn't know what to do with his character until I mentioned Erol Flynn" etc). The man has set the bar for a new generation of silly commentaries. De Niro will have his work cut out to match this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than I remember!, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Flash Gordon [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
What a treat! I love my movies but for years now the fun seems to have gone from them and formulaic safe scripts and productions abound. This might not be Casablanca but it feels like some of it was made up as they went along and almost didn't get made in the first place as the big cheeses all fell out and in the end Mike Hodges picked it up basically because his teenage sons egged him on. Thank goodness they did.

Really, unless you want to get all analytical and film criticy about it, what's not to like? It's a fun ride. The whole thing looks like a brightly coloured living comic strip, is hilariously over the top, hammier than a hammy thing, moves from scene to scene (and classic sci fi costume to costume) without delay: And oh yes - there's also THAT soundtrack.

I was also surprised that the Blu ray made such a huge difference. It looks fab.

Where else can you see National Cheer Leader Brian Blessed, Crystal Maze and Rocky Horror's Richard O Brien, James Bond's Timothy Dalton and former Chief Scout Peter "Spare me from The Madness" Duncan.

Get yourself and some mates a big cold beer; turn the sound right up, cheer for our hero and heroine, boo and hiss at those baddies 'til you can boo and hiss no more; and try not to be too distracted by Ornella "Oh NO! Not the BORE worms!" Muti giving the hottest of sizzlingly hot performances.

You guessed. We enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars US Imported Blu Ray Will Work In UK, 12 Aug 2011
Sean Herring (UK) - See all my reviews
Apparently there are two versions of this particular movie.

The UK Blu Ray version is supposed to be poorer quality so I decided to get a US import.

The picture quality and sound are great!

And it works on UK Blu Ray players too.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor audio lets down this movie!, 6 Nov 2010
J. Foster (UK) - See all my reviews
I love this movie, but poor execution has coloured my view somewhat.
Speaking of colour, I always remembered this movie as being sumptiously over the top in its use of colour.
However this edition look pallid and flat.
Worst of all the audio is horrendous, I know that some scenes are set in a big space, and have that big space echo, yet I could not believe it extended to almost the whole movie and some of the musical soundtrack too.
There is one scene where two characters are in the same room, only a few feet apart, one sounds like like he is standing right next to you and the other as if they are in some huge underground cavern! It gets very annoying and distracts from the camp fun of this movie with its often cheesy dialogue. I listened through my 5.1 set up and double checked with another blu ray as I thought my amp had died a death!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the version to get., 18 Oct 2010
First of all my review is not for the film which i love but the disc.Ok it's a steelbook but no picture inside the case just silver metal.The American release is distributed by Universal it's a much better picture transfer and the hazyness has now gone from around the actors,the contrast has been turned down a little which lets through more detail.It has a better animated menu and better special features including a commentary from Brian Blessed.I decided the actual picture quality and features were more important than a steel case.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›