Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 October 2015
Beautiful music, bought this for my husband and he played it at every opportunity, had to hide it for a while to have a break but soon gave it back again.
on 13 January 2013
Love the movie and love the sound track. Takes me back to the movie when i have the music on. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys the movie.
on 29 May 2013
Anyone who enjoyed the film will love this CD! The music is beautiful - Jean-Yves Thibaudet is a genius!. I would thoroughly recommend this.
on 3 October 2013
Came really quickly and was great quality! Great CD with some amazing pieces, a really good buy for a good price, definitely recommended(:
Despite Joe Wright's film meriting in my book a full five stars, I give the soundtrack `only' four. I have long been a fan of Dario Marianelli's work as a film composer ever since I watched `Pandaemonium'. This respect has continued in the Italian's work on such disparate projects as `In This World' and `Atonement', and it is disappointing to note that at the time of writing there is no CD of some of his collected work.

Nevertheless, it is not Marianelli whose name seems to have caught the attention in respect of the soundtrack to `Pride & Prejudice'; rather, it is that of the pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet. I feel this is a little unfair, since Thibaudet, whilst of course playing brilliantly, is still only an interpreter of the original score. His best piece is `The Secret Life of Daydreams', where the orchestra hesitates to intrude on the piano's own meditations.

Joe Wright remarks in the sleevenotes that he wanted a Beethovenian soundtrack to match the time-world of Jane Austen. And whilst this might be what he aimed for, I cannot help wondering whether the result is more Romantic than Classical. For example, the opening piece - `Dawn' - reminded me more of Schumann than Beethoven, and `The Living Sculptures of Pemberley' bears an orchestration that is too lush for its supposed time. But I am not complaining, for lush orchestrations are fine by me. And `Liz on Top of the World' is a five-star theme for sure, possessing a romantic grandeur that is not overblown. This noble yet moving theme is reprised in `Your Hands Are Cold'.

There certainly is a more contemporary feel when the music turns towards more local matters, such as the band playing at the Assembly Rooms in the pieces `Meryton Townhall', `Another Dance', and `Can't Slow Down'; and we have a military band playing for `The Militia Marches In'. A more baroque note is heard in the re-arrangement of a Purcell theme, which will probably be more well-known to those who are aware of Benjamin Britten's `Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra'.

All in all, this is a fine soundtrack, but its reticence - completely understandable, and instinctively right - in fully indulging in the romantic character of the story means that it successfully plays its role as an accompaniment to the film, but fails to hit five stars as a collection of music. I do like it a lot though: four stars.
on 30 November 2014
The CD is WONDERFUL, THE SONGS ARE BEAUTIFUL AND LOVED , BECAME MY SCORE , ESPECIALLY WHEN DRIVING IN TRANSIT I am ME Stills . Worth it !
on 18 September 2013
This film is my favourite version of Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice' and I think a lot of this is down to the marvellous soundtrack.
on 8 February 2014
The album was easy to download and import into itunes and I just love the music itself, so relaxing, it really reminded me of the film.
on 17 February 2014
Beautiful soundtrack, very soothing some fantastic tracks I could listen to over and over again. Much better than the film i thought!
on 3 March 2013
It is an album which reminds you the wonderful movie with a great love, beautiful landscapes, vast horizons and nature.