5.0 out of 5 stars Melodic death metal at its very best...
I bought this album on the basis of a good review and hearing a couple of Arch Enemey's songs. It hasn't left my CD player since - it's incredible. I haven't heard such good guitar playing in a modern band before, and the melodic riffs are mixed with growling, angry death metal vocals, and some catchy lyrics.
The album opens with the first of two impressive...
Published on 13 Sep 2005 by D. J. Marriott

3.0 out of 5 stars not what we deserve from arch enemy
Published on 23 Feb 2006 by sean paul mccann

5.0 out of 5 stars Melodic death metal at its very best..., 13 Sep 2005
This review is from: Doomsday Machine (Audio CD)
The album opens with the first of two impressive instrumentals (I'm not usually a fan of instrumentals, but these are well done) and moves swiftly onto Taking Back My Soul, a catchy, powerful track. Next is Nemesis - my favourite on the album, a long intro builds up for the wonderful chorus - "One for all - all for one/We are strong - We are one" this song (about revolution) would stand out if the others weren't so good.
Other highlights include Carry the Cross and Mechanic God Creation.
Rarely has a metal album been so melodic and yet so brutal at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blows your gonads off!, 31 May 2007
This review is from: Doomsday Machine (Audio CD)
I happened upon Arch Enemy recently on the tellybox and thought I'd give them a go. I'M DAMN WELL GLAD I DID! This is an outstanding "melodic doom metal" album, probably one of very few like it.

When an album flows well, you instantly know it. This album does exactly that. It took me a couple of listens to properly distinguish between everything that was going on (there's a lot of it) but soon I was hooked.

The combination of a very rare female "growler" with Michael Amott on guitar is outstanding. If anything Angela Gossow's vocals are a lot clearer than a man doing the same, probably due to the difference in pitch.

All in all, if you like your metal and want something with classic riffs, great musicians and a shedload of anti-establishment anger, buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars This blew me away..., 25 Nov 2005
Mr. C. Wolger (Colchester Via Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Arch Enemy - The Doomsday Machine (Limited Edition) (DVD) (Audio CD)
Having bought Wages of Sin recently, i was excited about this band - not least because of Gossow's man-like thunder of a voice - and was really looking forward to getting this new release.
I was not dissappointed! this is just a sensational album from start to finish, and makes huge progress from Wages of Sin and is the much more good looking and brutal younger brother. With tracks like nemesis, out for blood and carry the cross i havent stopped listening to this album 2 weeks on...i just cant say enough good things about this album. Its my release of the year.
Fans of anything shouty should give this a look, and for all Chimaira, God-Forbid and Trivium fans this is an essentail buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Band, Great Sound, Good Album, 30 Dec 2006
Donny "invisible" (England, South-West) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doomsday Machine (Audio CD)
When any band say 'this is the best album we have done' alarm bell should ring, what they really mean is 'we had lots of support making it, we found it easy to write, the process was quick and we had a great time doing it'.

Arch Enemy said just that upon finishing this album. I should point out that if your a fan its great and should still be classed as some of the best of this type of music about.

The big build verse chorus parts have been turned down a bit and the 'thrash until you have thrashed a bit too much and then thrash a little more' parts have also been eased down in all the album is more sensible but less fun (fun is prehapes not the best word to descride AE but you get the idea) than previous work.

If you know no AE get 'Anthems of Rebellion' a consistantly better album I feel.

3.0 out of 5 stars not what we deserve from arch enemy, 23 Feb 2006
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Doomsday Machine (Audio CD)
ah,the expectation of a new album,the excitement when the release date is known and the joyous march to the music store with cash in hand and hope in heart,nothing better?wouldnt you agree?,well with doomsday machine i was literally dancing to the shop,got home,first few songs were pretty decent,i punched the air,i was happy,next few songs,a bit bland if im honest but a second listen can change that i told myself,last few songs were ok,but again that can change,so i listened again and the same feelings remained,and they remained for next few spins and still do to this day,surely that isnt how i should feel when listening to the monster that is swedens arch enemy.Like i say there are some class songs on here but compared to sat,wages of sin ,this isnt a true metal album,yes it rocks but it isnt class,there is clearly some filler in here,it just doesnt leave me feeling like i have been through a tornado,i have very high expectations for arch enemy releases,maybe i aimed too high as most on here love it,it just doesnt leave me crying when the album ends for more

3.0 out of 5 stars Doomsday Machine, 22 April 2007
This review is from: Doomsday Machine (Audio CD)
Having loved 'Anthems Of Rebellion' and virtually everything before it i was cacking myself in anticipation of this album...about two odd years ago hehe (late review). And i have to say - i wasn't impressed then and i'm not impressed even now :(

I was outstanded by the new technicality levels, who'd have though AE of all people could get more technical? :O

But the real let down for me was the lyrics really....there's nothing bad about how they were written, it just seems like the left over lyrics from 'Anthems...' put together and screamed into a microphone.

Don't get me wrong, the first few tracks ARE GOOD...but after that it really does start to get quite boring.

Here's hoping the next album's their career best! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of KILLER, a little FILLER, 3 Jun 2008
M. Rossiter (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doomsday Machine (Audio CD)
Firstly: this albulm is packed with top-notch guitar melodies and shredding all the way through. About two-thirds of this albulm consists of that hardcore riffage complete with great vocals that have been written and delivered to Arch Enemy's standard. One third of the albulm, i'm sad to say; is complete filler, even if the production is of high quality. It's mainly problems with the songwriting on the duff tracks, but to be fair there's plenty of awesome tracks here to help you oversee the less pleasant aspects to the albulm. Definitely worth getting if you own and liked 'Anthems of Rebellion'. The price is very attractive also.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best albums on earth...., 13 Oct 2007
This review is from: Doomsday Machine (Audio CD)
i gotta say after listening to wages of sin this album blew my mind. The solos in all of the songs, especially the end of mechanic god creation, really did make me believe the Amott brothers are the gods of guitar. Angelas vocals sound beast on the recording, especially on nemesis. Any real arch enemy fan would have this album already, specially as rise of the tyrant is out. If you love tech death metal then you gotta get this album. It's absolutely insane.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love heavy lead guitar playing?, you'll LOVE this!!!, 14 May 2012
J. MACKENZIE (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doomsday Machine (Audio CD)
I'm astonished one reviewer says this album is "plain dull", as to me, it's the one Arch Enemy album that I currently can't stop listening to and I've listened to tons of metal my whole life. The death growl vocals may not be to everyone's liking, but aside from this I think it delivers pretty much everything most people who love metal would want to hear; Nice musical intros, layer upon layer of complex, concrete-heavy riffing, wicked double bass drumming with more timing changes than you could care to shake a stick at, screaming fast but graceful soloing, moody melodic and slow soloing with plenty of feel and all the while Angela Gossow squeezes every last bit of anger and emotion out her vocal chords. Lead guitarists will hear so many different styles packed in there from Blues and Rock, to Classical, to Oriental... They encompass so much musically particularly on this album and every time I stick it on I hear something I hadn't heard the last time. That to me is what makes them such a great band and this such a great album. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 20 Mar 2006
This review is from: Doomsday Machine (Audio CD)
Ignore the 2 reviews below. I am big fan of arch enemy as well as bands like lamb of god, the haunted, opeth, meshuggah, pantera, slayer, exodus, testament. I can go on.
The point is this album album is flawless apart from track my apocalypse which is pretty boring in my opinion of course. Every track sounds different. Arch enemy are one of the best metal bands out there and i believe they will carry on to be. Doomsday machine is wicked. I have all there albums and this and burning bridges are my favorite 2 without a doubt.
If you are a true arch enemy fan and a muscian and a music listener who knows whats what you should like this. Its very good work for a metal album.
Each to there own but i do disagree with the 2 star review. Wages of sin is really good but i think it has some of the most boring arch enemy tracks on it. Only 2 though.
Damn good album start to finish.
Chris Amott is a GOD hiding