on 1 September 2014
I've been searching for an affordable compact binocular for some time now to complement my excellent praktica 10x42 roof prisms, but without much success. I've tried the sub £10 variety of roof prisms, but they provided mostly dull and disappointing views. A Barr and Stroud 10x25 came close, but it was pricey at £50 and not much smaller than their 10x32 model.

So on to the porro prism variety. A visionking 10x25 looked very impressive with nice big eyepieces, but I couldn't quite merge the left and right images into a complete circle that was comfortable for my eye separation. And then I spotted these - a nikon binocular for £30 delivered?! I had to take the punt.

Glad I did. The soon as I unboxed and removed them from their velcro pouch, removed the eyepiece caps and took my first view, I knew I was on to a winner. With hardly any adjustment I had a perfect circle with both eyes and didn't even have to adjust the right eyepiece diopter setting which was set at 0. Focusing is smooth with the central focusing knob and I was getting a nice, clear, sharp images at everything I pointed it at, and close to what I see in my 10x42s, although with a smaller field of view. According to the specs on the box, they use multi-coated optics and the superior Bak-4 glass for the prisms, which accounts for the quality views.

I would have preferred larger and more comfortable eyepieces, but they're still manageable for me, and it's really difficult to criticise at this price point when you get such nice views through them. The eyepiece caps are a nice touch, but ultimately unnecessary, so they'll be staying in the box.

Listen, if you want a decent compact binocular, don't bother with the sub £10 rubbish or the no-name mini porros. Spend the extra and get something like this that's worthwhile putting in your pocket for the light walks, day out to the music festival, airshow, horse race, beach, whatever. You won't regret it I promise you.
review image
on 17 April 2013
You can't go wrong with these binoculars, they are very compact, and give you a very distinct and clear view. With a brand name like Nikon you also know you are getting quality.
on 18 August 2013
very good optics as expected from nikon. the binoculars are quite small which is a plus. they need a little getting used to but when familiar they are excellent to use.
on 5 June 2013
We were very pleased with the quality of the binoculars, and the really sharp images.
The only down side were the poor fitting lens caps.
on 24 June 2014
Just received these - very quick & efficient service from ASK and Amazon. Seem excellent - compact and lightweight but robustly made. Very clear optics and smooth rotation of focussing control. Lens covers are a bit flimsy but I can live with that. So impressed I've ordered a second pair for my wife.
on 12 July 2014
really good binoculars for the price. image is clear. very easy to use
on 14 July 2014
Good little pair of binoculars
on 15 November 2014
Very clear and bright image, easy to carry in a pocket. Ideal for a ramble in the countryside or bird watching in the garden.
on 8 November 2015
these binoculars are terrific value for money they are light small and piowerful and very well made
on 10 November 2014
Tidy little binoculars ideal for holiday bird watching.

See one answered question