on 16 August 2006
I only bought these yesterday, but I must say they were very easy to setup, and for the price come with quite a few items in the box.

You get:

- the headphones

which are very comfortable and padded and come with a power on / off button (but the transmitter automatically switches off if it detects no sound). a volume control, a channel switcher (both channels were clear for me), and a socket to plug the headphones into the charger.

inside one ear there is an allocation for two rechargeable AAA batteries (supplied philips own brand 550MaH i think!), which has a built in charger (just connect this to the base unit with the supplied lead for 16 hours and you will get about 15 hours charge time).

philips reccommend that you use only their rechargeable batteries if you need to replace them, but i imagine they would be hard to get hold of so i think standard rechargeable batteries would suffice (though i havent tested this), or just standard non-rechargeable batteries if you are stuck).

out of the box you will have to attach the foam earpiece to the side that takes the batteries, this is easily done.

- the receiver

this is quite a small receiver (compared with other larger units that i have seen) that looks quite neat. out of the box it has a wire, that you slot the hollow solid aerial onto.

you need to plug one end of the receiver into a power socket with the supplied transformer, and the other end into the headphone socket that you wish to use.

two lights on the front of the reciever firstly indicate if the reciever is plugged in and secondly if you are charging the headphones.

- a solid hollow aerial

see receiver

- a converter jack

for alternative sized headphone sockets

- two aaa rechargeable batteries

philips branded and i think 550MaH

- a power adaptor

which plugs into the receiver

The sound is pretty impressive, not fantastic but comparable to wired headphones, although this is due to the fm quality rather than the headphones.

i found that i needed to tweak audio levels to make sure that i got the optimum quality, i made sure that the tv that i was plugging into was sufficiently loud so that the volume control on the headphones themselves had a good range, mostly free from fm distortion.

i have been able to use the headphones from a fairly decent range, but the signal starts to break up when i reach the bottom of my garden.

i can however do the dishes in the kitchen and listen to the news in the living room quite happily!

overall im very pleased with these and i imagine that these headphones are as good for general use as anything else on the market.
on 12 July 2008
We love these headphones that you can wear around the house and still follow what goes on on the television. Great for keeping in touch with the cricket and still do other things.
Also, you can watch television without disturbing others in the room who might not be interested in the programme.
Of course, as an other reviewer says, there is background noise when you have the headphones on but no reception. Why put them on in the first place if you don't need them?
We recommend them, especially to families with teenagers and parents with different programme tastes.
on 5 May 2008
I've been eyeing up a £300 pair of Bose noise reducing headphones and saw these yesterday in PC World for £35 and I couldn't resist trying a cordless set-up (will re-visit the Bose idea next year).

I am using them to play music stored on my laptop and I am totally astonished. The sound quality exceded my expections for a cheap wireless bit of kit.

I've been all over the house, doing the washing up in the kitchen, upstairs moaning at my daughter about the state of her room etc and the music has gone everywhere with me!

Great range (I haven't been out in the garden but, I reckon I'll be able to wash the car out in the road with no problem).

They work well with The Cure, Mark Hollis, Sibelius and Bruckner. I've only had them charged up from today and they're on 9 hours 45 minutes and going strong. The box says they can do 15 hrs - we'll see.

If you want wireless convenience and you don't demand high-end fidelity, you shouldn't be disappointed with these. I'm very pleased with them.

Thrope
on 26 May 2008
Opened the box and charged them for 16 hours as instructed. Using them today and they're fantastic. I walk all around my flat listening to my entire MP3 collection on my computer (using WinAmp), free from wires. Unlike the other reviewers, I find the sound quality great, even in the kitchen doing the washing up. Maybe it's different if you have a big house. I'm in a 1-bed flat.

Very happy with my purchase, they're comfortable as well and the volume control is very useful.
on 10 February 2006
Cannot connect to a DVD player directly as the connections option provided are 3.5mm stereo Jack and adaptor for 1/4 jack. No RCA option. The lead is permanently connected to the tranmitter base further reducing your options. Sound quality terrible even to a layman like me. Bass effect poor. Volume even at highest level is weak. Distortion. Construction flimsy with adjustment to head set limited to an elastic band. Charging also flimsy with no docking option. Burnt my money. Will do more research before buying.
on 10 August 2009
This is the current evolution of the Philips headphones that have been going for years. Earlier versions had a "continuously variable" tuning knob enabling one to select and fine tune from a spectrum of stations. This version is strictly a two-channel version which works well but is not nearly as flexible as earlier versions. And this version is not good trying to receive broadcasts from earlier 3-channel systems. (We transmit on several channels within our house)
on 20 February 2007
I was hugely disappointed with these headphones. The background noise is enormous. With no sound input you can hear very loud radio hiss. It reminds me of the cheapest of cheap FM radios. I am planning to take them back to the shop. I would not recommend anyone to waste their money on this product. This is the third Philips product in a row that I have found lacking and I am not planning to buy any others ever again.
on 17 July 2009
The product arrived very quickly. It was easy to set up and works well, although the initial charge time is long. Recharging the batteries in the headset is a bit awkward as there is no headset rest.
The sound quality is OK for TV or games but not for serious HiFi use.
Overall good value for money at the low end of the sound quality market
on 13 February 2013
The box had obviously been used and the headphones did not work. A complete waste of time and my money
on 30 June 2014