5.0 out of 5 stars Superb modern old school Death Metal, 27 Mar. 2004
The main thing most people know about Bloodbath is that they're Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth's 'other' band. True enough, but they're actually a wicked band all of their own right. They don't actually sound anything like Opeth though, so anyone after a bit of prog-inspired Metal is going to be disappointed by this. It's a record of pure old school, Sunlight-style Death Metal in the vein of Dismember or early Entombed, and it absolutely rules! If you're any kind of a Death Metal fan, you should check this record out because you will definitely like it. The finest single feature about it is probably the rhythm guitar sound; if you imagine a rusty chainsaw with pick-ups attached to it, you'll be halfway there. It sounds like Exhorder playing Death Metal, and it's brilliant. Also, Akerfeldt's vocals are fantastic. He doesn't do any clean singing like he does so successfully in his main band, it's growls all the way, but the growls are much more aggressive and sick sounding than they ever are on an Opeth album. If you thought 'Demon Of The Fall' sounded nasty, check this out and see what the man is capable of. As well as this, throw in the always welcome presence of Dan Swano on the drums and add some of the finest Death Metal songwriting you could ever ask for and you'll end up with one of the best extreme Metal albums of the last few years. Brilliant stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Carnage, 9 Sept. 2004
By A Customer
Unlike some people, when I saw this band was headed up by Mike Akerfeldt of Opeth fame, I was actually put off. Opeth are not one of my best loved outfits, after parting with hard earned green for Still Life, and finding out the hard way that prog death metal is not for me. Luckily, Century media have a lovely little audio set up on their web site and I could sample the first track from this excellent album.
What can be said about this album that hasn't been said already? Not much really, apart from the fact that just about every song is an "anthem" in the true meaning of the word. Bathe in Blood is this albums "Dead by Dawn". But just about every other track has some inspired growl along moments.
The sound is very "Swedeath", in that gruff yet very very catchy way that only Swedish death metal bands can do. The "fuzzy" sound on this album is a real bonus to the material. Kind of like early Pungent Stench, but with some decent artistic direction and killer riffs.(Sorry. I hate P. Stench with a passion). Think the sound, not the content.
Its all old skool style playing. No blast beats here. A top quality riff-fest and vocals that inspire outbreaks of "sing-a-long" syndrome.
Buy it, and you will chanting the choruses for weeks.
If you are the sort of person that has to sit down and hold their chin in deep silent contemplation listening to the likes of Akercocke or Nile, then I guarantee you'll be wearing a party hat and dancing to this like a loony. Its fun and easy on the ear (well... easy in a nasty death metal way grrrrrrr!!!)
A really catchy and original death metal offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing classic death from Opeth frontman, 14 Mar. 2003
Well, as soon as I saw Opeth's frontman, Mikael Akerfeldt was a part of this band I picked up with all haste. Being a huge Opeth fan I had to. But, if you listen to Opeth and buy this CD, don't expect the same. This CD is a lot more focused around the death metal side, rather than the progressive side.
It's dark, moody, and grim. And that's just a start to the great points of the CD. Heavily distorted guitars. Deep growing vocals by Akerfeldt himself. Great drum lines, and a bass line to back in all up, I don't see what could be wrong with this CD.
Some of the standout tracks for me are Buried By The Dead, The Soulcollector and Ways To The Grave. All tracks on this CD have pretty grim and dark lyrics, but if you don't like that, why are you considering death metal? It's not always a given, but with this band it certainly is.
But, if it weren't for Bloodbath and bands like them, we'd be futilely throwing up our devil signs against a sea of white homies shouting "Break Stuff!"
Classic death metal album that you won't be disappointed with if you love death metal in any of its forms.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog this is not..., 12 Nov. 2007
I have to say straight off that I don't like Opeth. I also have to say that I only own one of their records, 'Still Life'. But that was enough for me. I just didn't get it? Maybe I'm too low brow on the death metal front to appreciate it? Nah. I just didn't like it full stop.
Their particular brand of 'Prog' just doesn't appeal to me. Give me Akercocke any day...
So, when I heard that Mike Akerfeldt was the head man on this project, I was kind of all Prog'd out, and none too inspired.
But, when I heard the aim was to use modern ideas to create "old school" death metal, I had to give it a listen. I am glad I did.
This album is fantastic. It has that fuzzy Swedish guitar sound, that apes the likes of Entombed, Grave and Dismember, who Akerfeldt himself admits were massive influences on why he took up writing death metal in the first place.
The Production sounds like it is classically influenced by producer Tomas Skogsberg. Its not him, but it has all the trademarks of something he would have done. That early to mid 90's groove, that although does not "blast", it grinds itself into your head. The occassional pick up of the drums, that never quite blast, but do belt out some furious percussion.
The music itself is very "modern" in the way its played, with slightly more complex guitar and drum structures compared to true old school albums such as "Like an ever flowing Stream" for example.(infact take any example, it doesn't have to be a Scando-death band) But it does reek of happy nostalgia. And that is mainly why I love it!
The vocals are brutal and deep, but arrange themselves to harmony with the chorus' (yes chorus', all the best old school had chorus').
The opener, Ways To The Grave, has a tidy start that bursts into an aggressive wall of fuzzy guitars, with a catchy as hell riff galloping along like a train.
Death Delirium, again has a very "groovy" feel to it. Like most of the tracks on here it never leaves mid pace, but because of the way the songs are played, its a perfect tempo. A grinding noise, rather than a blast beat thrash!
My personal fave track is Bathe In Blood. Its an anthem of a track! A COMPLETE GROWL ALONG SPECTACULAR. This album's "Dead By Dawn", or "Chapel Of Ghouls". Instantly recognisable and very very catchy. Almost as good is Trail Of Insects, with its layered vocals, and quite disturbing end. Boy can that man growl!
All in all a superb album. Took me back to my school days of the late 80's and early 90's.
Its also a triumph of skill that in doing something old, in a modern way, Blood Bath, demontstrate that you don't always have to play bloody fast to impress!

4.0 out of 5 stars old school death metal, 15 Jan. 2003
When I heard that Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth was involved with this band, I had to check them out. Well, it's very different to Opeth as this is a death metal side project also featuring members of Katatonia and the multi-talented Dan Swano, so it's very heavy and very fast! If you are into awesome riffing, darkly melodic lead work (well, there is a bit!) and death grunt vocals, you'll love this.

Resurrection Through Carnage
Resurrection Through Carnage by Bloodbath (Audio CD - 2002)