Format: DVDChange
Price:£9.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 26 October 2008
Alain De Botton has brought the useful concepts of philosophy to a wider audience in his various books and documentaries. The title of this documentary and the book from which is derives fails to indicate that this is not a guide on how to travel but an exploration of why we travel.

In his book "The Consolations of Philosophy" he explains that disapointment and even anger come when we expect one thing and receive something different. This is clearly what has happened in the case of the other reviewer who thought this was a "how" not a "why" discussion.

For fans of de Botton's style, this is a fairly typical offering if a bit short at 50 minutes and not necessarily the most enlightening of his catalogue but still a worthy addition.

I would not go so far as it is anti-travel, but the main message is that it is the inner journey that is more important than the external one and that if we can view our own environment with the fresh eyes of a traveller then our lives would be greatly enriched and happier.
on 14 March 2013
The one star review below should be ignored. Anything that Alain de Botton does is worth a look. This obviously isn't as weighty as his books, but its nice to watch a TV program that hasn't been made for idiots!
on 28 January 2008
I bought this DVD hoping to use it for educational purposes for travel and tourism students. The content is very weak and as times, difficult to watch. I would not recommend this DVD; I ended up turing it off and am contemplating throwing it out as I don't plan to use it again!
22 comments2 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse