5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing.
Published on 5 Jan 2008 by Master DET Wood

2.0 out of 5 stars Sigur Ros
Not my bag I'm afraid. Decent enough soundscape but the singer's voice is very grating. Perhaps I need to give it some more plays and it might grow on me. Certainly they hve been give plenty popular aclaim.
Published 12 months ago by Troy Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 5 Jan 2008
Master DET Wood "dafydd wood" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
Sigur Ros are amazing, their music transcends languages, cultures and generations. I am a 16 year old boy and I first hear them when my 80 year old grandfather was listening to them. Despite not being able to understand the lyrics, their passion and power comes through in their songs as if I knew what every word meant. This is an album you can either put on quietly in the background whilst you work, or turn right up and be very moved by. Classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere Between the Mainstream and the Heavens..., 26 Mar 2007
G. Bowden "genejezkova" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
Given their presence in the pop world since 1999's Ágætis byrjun, you'd be forgiven for not knowing that 2005's Takk... was in fact Icelandic rock group Sigur Rós's major label debut. After their collective star was shot into the ascendant with Ágætis, not to mention backed up further by 2002's () and a couple of soundtrack assignments, the Rós was snapped up by EMI to begin work on their fourth long player. With EMI keen to get their mitts on some of the twilight majesty of Ágætis as opposed to the stark beauty of (), they couldn't have asked for a more fitting effort from the four-piece as they have offered an unabashedly mainstream affair, though still tempered with enough sparkle and artistic integrity to melt even the hardest of hearts. Cynics may argue that the band has well and truly sold out big time (and their songs' inclusion on near enough every single advert on television suggests this certainly), but even that can't deter from the many spectral delights that are as emotionally stirring as anything else in the band's back catalogue.

It can be said that the band on this CD sound like one at their most exultant and joyous, leaving behind much of the drama and tragedy that infused their earlier works with such resonance (even Ágætis had its fair share of tormented noise). Compared to the operatic wordless vistas of (), Takk... sees frontman Jonsi singing in his trademark falsetto about jumping in puddles, raking haystacks and the glowing sun, deliberately facile lyrics sung with rapt expression amid a backdrop of alternating sweet percussion and/or orchestral grandeur. Texturing the work also are distinct rhythmic scuttles and scratches, reminiscent of Aphex Twin's quieter moments or fellow Icelanders Björk and Múm, which help to imbue the pieces with an electronic fluidity as the guitar feedback soars alongside the string and brass sections. Obvious highlights include the singles "Hoppípolla" and "Sæglopur", the latter's piano chords helping to summon possibly their most epic moment to date and the former's irrepressible orchestral pomp never failing to stir. And for those who can't listen to these songs without thinking of reality TV shows or charity adverts, then the noble quietude of "Sé lest" and the giddy dance of "Gong" should serve as alternate remedies perfectly.

However, the true beauty of the LP is present first and foremost in the band's unwavering identity and their not sacrificing key facets of the music at the behest of promises of worldwide acclaim. Sure, Takk... is without doubt their most accessible CD with regards to its livelier, happier emotional meter than their previous work as well as the glossy mainstream sheen that positively bounces off of each of the songs (even the potential-filler "Hoppípolla" reversal, "Með Blóðnasir"). Yet it still manages to invest enough of Sigur Rós's unique, elemental nature to secure their international status as one of the world's leading rock outfits and everyone has to give credit where it's due to a band that still sound this young, vital and effusive eight years down the line. Once the overbearing hype cools off, or all of those adverts come out of circulation, Takk... will be rediscovered as one of the best albums of the decade and a calling card for one of the most important bands working in pop music today. Simply magical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, again., 8 Feb 2010
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
Sigur Rós changed my life. No other artist has ever meant so much to me, except for maybe Neil Young.

For me, their music has such a universal aura to it; evoking strong feelings of love, sadness, regret, joy. Everything. The emotion and beauty conveyed is just so pure and so true that it becomes much more affecting than the majority of music out there.

Stand outs on this album are:

'Takk...' - The seemingly subtle title track. One of my all time favourites.
'Glósóli' - A climactic, invigorating follow up.
'Með Blóðnasir' - Magical, joyful. Stunning bass.
'Mílanó' - A heart breaking haze of strings opens this breathtaking song.
'Svo Hljótt' - An epic slow burner.
'Heysátan' - Wonderful, simple, warming end to the album.

Obviously a 5/5 rating from me. I strongly urge you to buy this album, and their others for that matter.

Listen to it, feel it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the most beautiful music in the world!!, 8 July 2006
Romie Tang (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
The first time I come to Sigur Ros was in HMV. My eyes were glued to the cover of Takk... I was wondering who they are when I picked up the cd. Then I put the headphones on and the music came out. I just listened to 3 songs, without a doubt, I bought it. It's better to sit down and have headphones when you listen to it. You feel nothing can disturb you, you are comfortable and your heart is quiet. Then you are totally absorbed into the songs and your mind fly away to Iceland with the music, it brings you the beautiful landscape, a moment of relax, a kinda sensation. Sometimes when I listened to it, it touches me so much that my tears fall down, I cry because I've got the joy that other music cant give me, After listening to it, my heart somehow is full, you come to know that life can be looked from other points of view, then you come alive again! I can't decide which song is the best one, but I`d say this piece of music can't be divided, say it as a whole, ONE.

If you are looking for some music that's spiritual and can touch your soul, Takk...is the right choice for you. If you are tired of listening to rock music, Takk...is another unique sound for you. For certain moment after listening to Takk..., You may think you don't wanna listen to other music, Takk gives you so much that you don't wanna destroy the mood, the feeling and the atmosphere of Takk. Go and buy it, you won't be disappointed!

p.s. if you get a chance, catch Sigur Ros live, they are so amazing! I missed their only one show in Hong Kong before and now I regret for not going after listening to Takk...

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont judge on first listen.........., 25 Feb 2007
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
I have to say before i bought this album i had never heard of the band before, however i have to say now its the only album i put on, on a sunday afternoon or when flying some place nice.

It may take some getting used to, but there again i feel OK Computer did by radio head and that was voted one of the best albums ever.!!!

Just have one more listen and let your self go, if you like Radiohead or the older Run rig, this band may be for you. Battered but beautiful in its own enevloping way this bands music will have you drifting to somewhere where your mind wants to be... I love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, thought provoking, emotional masterpiece., 18 May 2006
B. Giblin "Lampeter96-99" (Isle of Wight (UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
To all you people out there who were wondering where that "piece of music" came from while listening to the Planet Earth advert, you will already have found yourself here, and that piece of music is called Hoppipolla, on track 3, of this fabulous album by Sigur Ros.

This is the most amazing album I've heard in the last 15 years. Full Stop. I want everyone who has just heard of Sigur Ros and thought to themselves, I need to find out more, to read this piece of advice/review and go and buy this album, you won't be disappointed.

It's a roller coaster ride, each track can put you into a certain place, depending on you're mood, and where you want to escape to. Essentially it's a beautifully sounding album, but its so much more than that. Let yourself go, feel the music, it's unlike anything you will come across easily in today's music climate, an album like this has to be found, and when discovered, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

In terms of which song is the "best", I prefer to listen to this album as a whole; I certainly wouldn't give it a disservice and put it on random on my hi-fi. If one track stands out, it has to be Milano, which could quite easily break you're heart.

The nearest thing I can compare this album with has to be The Division Bell by Pink Floyd. I say this purely because the DB, despite myself being around 16 years of age at the time, stuck with me, and still does, as being a great piece of music, and just different from what I was listening to in the charts. Takk comes across as being different, and as an alternative in 2005-06.

If I had my way, everyone should have this masterpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sumptuous Feast for the Ears, 22 Jan 2008
Mr. D. Thompson "dan" (leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
all in all a good album.

slight ambient qualities to it, rich, deep, textured whilst also having a typical composer slant to it too. electric guitars sit happily next to cellos in creating this sumptuous sound.

They have a wonderful production on the album - giving this rich accessible sound, full of unusual organic sounds and textures.

It moves from peaceful melody to full on Crescendo with ease and is a very well crafted peiece of music.

in particular you will recognise the 3rd track Hippipolk from adverts on the telly and Gosoli is wonderous too.

Has anyone else noticed how Gosoli bears a resemblance to Nine Inch Nails 'hurt'??? the way it slowly builds up, the backing beats and gentle addition of instruments?

If you liked the way NIN's 'downward spiral' was recorded - ie with a very close 'intense' sound - hearing every little trinket or garbled note, a music where you can put your headphones in an immerse yourself into it - then you will enjoy this.

I wont go on like other reviewers about 'crying' and 'feeling my soul swell up' - but this music in places is wonderous and definately deserves a listen.

there are no vocals as such and no conventional songs - so please be warned if you are not into something a bit different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not since OKC have I felt like this about an album, 15 April 2006
J. Park (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
Up till now, I had been listening to Sigur Ros solely on the tracks I downloaded from the internet. These were great, and was the reason I was a little nervous about buying Takk. T'was hard of me to see how an album could match the individual tracks

I was wrong. I was more wrong than thought possible. It was delivered today and I have been listening to it almost non-stop since then. Not since the first time I listened to OK Computer have I felt this way about an album.

Each song is constructed with brilliance and care. Each song is beautiful and amazing. Each song makes me glad that I brought this album. Each song makes me want to thank you lot for introducing me to them. But that's not the best bit.

This album flows perfectly. Each song flows and blends in with the next. The first song sets up the second song brilliantly, and the way Glosoli just smoothly flows into Hoppipolla made me realise that this wasn't any ordanary album I was listening to. And what's more amazing is that it carries on. On most albums there are tracks which you could take away and no-one would mind or notice. Not here. Although I was a bit wary of the length at first, once I started listening to it I could think of a million reasons to keep it this way and not one to change it.

If you haven't got it, buy it. Buy it now. I'm off now to see whether I can afford Ágætis byrjun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!!!, 1 July 2007
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
Having never heard or read any press reviews of this album I, unlike most, had no prior preconceptions of Sigur Ros' offering. Having given up the weed a long time ago too ;-) I headed out on my voyage of discovery and have ended up in a rather pleasant place. Serene, uplifting and dreamy the music washes over in waves with a good dollop of turbulence here and there (during Saeglopur for example) to spice things up.

In contrast to their earlier work Takk is definitely more accessible but this does not dilute it's appeal or make it any less of an album. The tracks are shorter too but there is much great music and I disagree with the previous chap that this isn't a good album to just 'listen' to. The album is positively packed with a level of musicality and depth that is desperately missing from much of today's music. Sé Lest, Saeglopur, Andvari and Svo Hljótt are fine examples of this and are amongst my personal faves.

If you're new to Sigur Ros and are not sure then check out their website or borrow the CD from the library. In most cases I think a purchase will be impending. Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Takk..., 9 May 2013
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
Takk is Sigur Ros' 4th album and for me (so far) it is their finest. From the shimmering intro 'Takk' to the monumental 'Svo Hljott' this album is relentlessly beautiful.

There are significant nods to previous albums, 'Andvari' sounds most like Agaetis Byrjun and 'Hey Satan' could easily sit alongside the tracks on ().

But there are tracks here that pull this album head and shoulders above their previous work. Songs like 'Saeglopur', 'Hoppipolla', 'Glosoli' and 'Gong'. These songs make the album ebb and flow which makes Takk, when listened to in entirety a truly moving experience and pushes this work into the upper echelons of musical works this century.

I've mentioned them before RE Sigur Ros, but you should check out a band called Takeda too. Their songs 'Dusk Raga' & 'Reverence' are worth a listen if you like this album. Google 'Takeda Hufsa'

ARRAY(0xa218c174)

Takk...
Takk... by Sigur Rós (Audio CD - 2005)