5.0 out of 5 stars Too easy!
This thing could be hazardous to a trim figure - but since I haven't had one of those for some years, it matters not!

Published on 22 Jan 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to my Major
Compra verificada por Amazon(¿Qué es esto?)
Esta opinión es de: Kenwood - Heladera (Compat. Major T (Cocina)
I got this attachment after much deliberation. I had bee wanting an ice cream maker for a long time, but couldnt afford or decide on one.

My problems:

Small freezer
Little worktop space

1. So,...
Published on 5 Oct 2012 by Laini Kay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Too easy!, 22 Jan 2011
This review is from: Kenwood Major AT957A 1 Litre Ice Cream Maker Attachment - White (Kitchen & Home)

I found it a breeze to use - as long as you remember to make sure the machine is turned on before you try to add anything. The first batch worked well, but it did work better the second time when I chilled all of the ingredients first (well, who reads instructions before the first go?). I agree with other reviewers that it's probably better to leave the bowl in the freezer all of the time - but then that does make it terribly easy to keep on making the stuff.

I did read a very handy tip that advises that you whisk the ingredients for a short while (rather than just stirring them together) before adding them to the machine as it seems to add a little air and improves the finished texture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 19 April 2010
Mellow Yellow (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is great value as it includes the Kenlyte mixing bowl which costs £19.99 on its own. This mixing bowl can be used for all Kenwood Chef tasks and is great to have as a spare. You also get the ice cream maker itself which goes in the freezer. It is full of the gel you get in ice blocks so it freezes very quickly, but I leave mine in the freezer all the time and as it is hollow I normally store a bag of peas etc inside so I do not waste the storage space in my freezer. In the box you also get the paddle which is made of plastic but is pretty tough, finally you get the splash guard with a pouring hole.

I use a very basic mix of ready made custard and I add my flavours to it, be it pistachio, chocolate etc. This isnt as nice as proper ice cream made with actual cream, but as I am on a diet I have to be careful!! It is also very tasty and is extremely cheap to make. I have also made sorbet and granitas which is a slushy ice dessert which is very refreshing. If you have the machine switched on before you add the ingredients and then pour the mixture in slowly then you will have no problems at all with this attachment.

Amazon sell a book which called "500 ice creams and sorbets By Alex Barker". this book has helped me get 110% out of my ice cream maker. In fact I have bought a second ice cream maker so I always have a bowl frozen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 July 2011
I almost did not buy this item because of the comments about the paddle breaking. However, having had previous experience of reviews that may have been negative because of the "I don't need instructions" syndrome, I persevered. And I am glad I did. We have now had it several months, used it many times, but only scratched the surface of the masses of recipes out there, but whatever we are making has turned out really well, with the minimum of fuss and no hassle. If you love ice cream, and/or if like me you have to be careful about the constituents of your diet, this is quite simply excellent. My tips:
Follow the instructions
Always run the paddle for a minute or so on minimum speed before adding mix, specially on a humid day.
Make sure the freezer bowl is well frozen
Always put the bowl top and paddle in the freezer for a few minutes before use
On a hot day, or if mixing larger quantities, or mixes that are difficult to freeze, add ice cubes or freezer packs (or a pack of frozen peas!) in the plastic outer bowl, below the freezer bowl. The whole setup works so much better if kept cold. I find that the added freezing packs do not defrost and can be used again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Homemade Ice Cream made easy, 19 April 2012
I bought this nearly a year ago and Have waited to review it as I wanted to see how much I used it, or if it would it be an item that after the novelty value wore off was left to gather dust.
It is well made as you would expect from Kenwood, you can use the Kenlyte bowl separately if you need to which is a bonus. The freezing bowl stays in the freezer so it is always ready if the ice cream urge come on. I wrap it it a plastic bag for a bit of protection then store a bag of peas in it to maximise space. I haven't had a problem with the paddle but have always switched on before adding the ice cream base mixture.
The plastic paddle was a slight surprise (I had thought it would be metal) when I first unpacked it, but on use has proved robust and mixes the ice cream very well, smooth and delicious.
I add any extra ingredients like fruit, choc chips, nuts etc near to the end of process for a chunky texture nearer the start if I want a smoother finish. Best Flavour so Far Strawberry & Elderflower made last Summer with Fresh out the garden Strawberries. The greatest thing for me is I make the custard base or base mix pour it in and just leave it and about 20-30 mins later I have gorgeous Ice cream or sorbet which has no nasties in. Can't tell you how long the ice cream stores for as it is always eaten within a couple of days, it does need a little time out of the freezer to soften slightly before serving.
Fun for Children to use; you need to supervise as it is very cold, and to make sure they switch the attachment on before adding the ice cream base.

In about 10 months we have used it so much I think it has paid for itself as we save money on buying expensive brands and I have to be honest our home made ice-cream tastes just as good.
It is a doddle to use BIG thing to remember is you HAVE TO have the Ice-cream maker switched ON BEFORE you pour your mixture in otherwise you will put too much pressure on the paddle and it could break.

Great product that I highly recommend.

One last thing if you like Sherry Trifle there is a brilliant recipe/video for Sherry Trifle Ice Cream using this attachment on You Tube, it rocks :)

3.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to my Major, 5 Oct 2012
Compra verificada por Amazon(¿Qué es esto?)
Esta opinión es de: Kenwood - Heladera (Compat. Major T (Cocina)

My problems:

Small freezer
Little worktop space

1. So, free standing, independant with compressor, too big, too expensive
2. Independant, free standing, prefreeze the bowl, stIll needs room in the cupboard or worktop.
3. Attachment, bowl goes in freezer, parts store easily in cupboards, don,t take up too much room and my major already sits in the worktop.
'
I decide on option 3' but how big is the freezer bowl, will it fit in my small freezer. Could'nt find the answer anywhere as to the size of the inner bowl ( the bit you need to put in the freezer).

So if anyone else has this problem, it is 12.5 centimeters high by the width of the major bowl (I emailed Kenwood to find out).

The item arrived very quickly. Although the box looked a little battered, looked like it had been returned. The bowl had some indelible marks in the plastic, but that didn,t bother me.

The bowl fits in the freezer nicely, and just keep some items inside, so no problem to leave it there all the time until needed.

I made my first batch yesterday and it turned out fine. I thought it did a good job and took around 40 minutes (tip put a bag of frozen peas between the 2 bowls).

The ice cream was at the soft stage by then, you need to put it in the freezer for a while if you like it firm. I did a basic vanilla ice cream, it could have been better, but to be fair I think that was the recipe, not the mixer. I shall be trying other recipes this weekend and will report back.

UPDATE *****

The paddle broke on the machine on the third batch, after around 15 minutes of churning, I decided to add chopped oreo biscuits (my grandsons request) it immediately broke the paddle, (I put the ice cream in the freeser for a couple of hours and it was delicious) so a warning to only make additions at the end and mix in by hand.

On the second batch the paddle came out of its housing but didn't brake after around 35 minutes of churning. So just a warning to beware and keep a close eye on the paddle or brake it!

Its for this reason I downgraded it from 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Ice cream maker attachment, 27 July 2009
Mrs. G. C. Mcleod (Montrose, Scotland) - See all my reviews
An excellent item which is easy to use and makes great ice cream every time. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent I love the ice-cream..... mmm ...., 14 Jun 2011
Kenwood Major AT957A 1 Litre Ice Cream Maker Attachment, White

I always love ice-cream and this great piece of equipment has allowed me to experiment with my own flavours additions etc.... it works so well and produces great ice-cream fairly quickly. I would definitely recommend it to any ice cream lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Major Ice Cream Maker, 12 Jan 2011
It is a big help when you want to make your own icecream. You don't have to take the ice out of the freezer every ½ hour to stir it. Just mix the icecream ingredients and stir it for 30 minutes and put it in the freezer. The outcome of the icecream depends on the recipe.
A must have for icecream lovers!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood Major Ice Cream Maker AT957A, 30 Oct 2010
I have now tried this twice and the results are good, the only reason I have given this 4 out of 5 is because sometimes after 45 minutes the ice cream still isn't ready and it needs going in the freezer for a while therefore you could not count on it if you were trying something different in a hurry. I think I will get good use out of this and I am glad that I purchased it.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but is limited in production volume..., 10 Mar 2014
C. Raymond "Sir Fix-a-lot" (Finland) - See all my reviews
It's limited to one litre a day due to drying and re-freezing the cooler element and the plasticy mixing paddle that stirs the ice cream during the process bends badly out of shape when the ice cream starts to solidify. Best purchase to support this was the Ben and Jerries Ice Cream book.

If I had the money I would rather get a compressor cooled continuous running ice cream machine like the Ariete models.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›