5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, better than I ever epected.
Having only a collection of Death Cab songs downloaded from several different albums, I had no idea what an absolute treat "Plans" was going to be when I purchased it. It is simply wonderful. The sound on "Plans" is fuller, more thoughtful and clever than other Death Cab songs, the standard of lyrics remains at its pure brilliance as I had come to expect.

The...
Published on 4 May 2007 by jamie gough

3.0 out of 5 stars good.. but a little bit boring for my taste
theese are obloiuvsly great musicians! i bought it.. i liked it :) so and so and so and so.. yess
Published 18 months ago by tripple D

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, better than I ever epected., 4 May 2007
This review is from: Plans (Audio CD)

The structure of Plans as a record is genius. From the more vibrant opening to the somber ending, Plans take you on a journey. The fantastic opener of "Marching Bands in Manhattan" is beyond belief only bettered by its lead into "Soul Meets Body" a song worthy of REM. As the album moves on we get the atmospheric "Different names for the same things" with an intro reminiscent of The Killers, and the chilling "I will follow you into the dark" a song one might expect of Bright Eyes. Don't get me wrong Death Cab for Cutie aren't trying to be something there not, this album is DCFC, it epitomizes all of their early work, tidied up, neaten, matured and delivered impeccably.

As the album shifts to it's ending we are gifted with possibly the best DCFC song ever written in "Brothers on a Hotel Bed." The intro is incredible, reminding alot of "Melancholoy and the Infinite Sadness" by The Smashing Pumpklins. The lyrics are so consciously constructed yet so simple and Gibbard's voice is at its pinnacle. It is a song worthy of being played on repeat for a day. And even after that I guarantee you will still go back for more.

Buy this album, whether you have previous DCFC experience or not it is simply a great album. It has made me want to own every Death Cab record ever released, and if they're a fraction as good as Plans I will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up With the Best, 25 Nov 2006
M. G. Matheson "M.G. Matheson" (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plans (Audio CD)
I heard of DCFC by chance one night radio station hopping. This is a truly wonderful album. Every song is a gem with lyrics among the most poetic I've ever heard; raw and tender, awash with symbolic density. Yet, it's a beautifully simple album. "Brothers in a Hotel Bed" defies description, it is so good. Buy this album and feel priveleged to have stumbled upon DCFC.

5.0 out of 5 stars genuinely an essential album, 25 Feb 2006
This review is from: Plans (Audio CD)
I heard of Deathcab from a friend, and thank christ i did as this is one of the best albums i have heard in a long time.
Deathcab create, warm, lush, melodic songs, the best exponent of this being "when your haert is an empty room", and the lyrical content has a universal appeal, and yet dosent feel cliched in the slightest. Admittedly not every song is as good as tracks 5,6 and 7 but then, not very many are. (The others are still great anyway.)
If you have a taste in music that includes any type of rock/indie/emo music, then this album really should be in your collection. God only knows why Deathcab aren't one of the biggest bands on the earth, they sure as hell should be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind Blowing, 13 April 2006
This review is from: Plans (Audio CD)
I bought this album when it first came out not knowing alot about the band apart from the jovial, 'soul meets body'. However I can honestly say that this is most definatley one of the best albums I have ever bought.

It is the perfect album for any occasion and you can be guaranteed to have to tell your friends who the band is once they hear it.

Standout tracks for me are probably 'different names for the same thing' and 'brothers in a hotel bed' but you will hard pushed to find a bad track.

This is the first and last time I will write a review but just felt that others need to experience this absolutely incredible music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Little Secret, 7 Mar 2010
Mr. Leslie Silkowski "les" (holyhead) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plans (Audio CD)
I'd heard of the band for some time, but the name suggested something I most probably wouldn't be interested in so I never really looked for their material. Then thanks to one of the most wonderfully serependitious moments of my life, I played Thirteen Senses' The Invitation to my sister, she played it to a friend who likes Keane and he said it sounded more like Death Cab For Cutie. This I HAD to check out, and the result was a very fortuitous introduction to a band who churn out genius after genius at a bafflingly alarming rate.

I always big DCFC up to friends and colleagues and watch as their faces contort in puzzlement. And d'you know what, I leave it there as I don't really want to share this fantastic music with others; I don't want them to become too commercial and become hijacked by every pop music fan trying desperately to gain some semblance of credibility.

But hey, seeing as you've made it this far, you're obviously cool and serious enough about your music to be allowed to join the club. Plan simply blows this fan away. Stand out tracks include the superbly up-tempo Marching Bands Of Manhattan with its rising to a crescendo and its repeating lyrics which serve to re-enforce Benjamin Gibbard's feelings evermore. Listen carefully for a fantastically drowning-like sound effect at the very end of this track. Summer Skin is very simple and absolutely gorgeous, with its heart-rending been-there lyrics and even a 10CC-esque backing vocal - sublime! Scarily, the next track, Different Names For The Same Thing is even better! A slow piano-led first two minutes is brilliant enough, but then it just soars to another stratosphere when the repeating message of the title re-emphasises that there really are even more names for the same thing, enhanced by a thundering keyboard/xylophone boom to great effect just as you think the song is petering out naturally.

The absolute highlight, even on such an album of such strength in dept, is the jaw-droppingly stunning What Sarah Said, which features some of the most superbly intense piano, married with Gibbard's falsetto tones telling an extremely thought-provoking and equally uncomfortable tale of hard-truth - at the very end it really does feel as though you have died and ascended into heaven as the gentle harps sound to echo Plans' other great effect sound (see Marching Bands...above). Closing track Stable Song is simply sublime and in what is becoming very much a Death Cab thing, they really like to close the album with a killer track to leave you wanting more!

But ssssssh...don't tell just anyone - let's keep the genius that is Death Cab For Cutie as our own little secret!

5.0 out of 5 stars DCFC At Their Very Best, 29 Nov 2006
This review is from: Plans (Audio CD)
This is Death Cab For Cuties first album under their new record label and long time fans of the band need not be dissapointed. The opening tack, Marching Bands Of Manhattan, kicks the album straight into fifth gear. The standout track for me is Soul Meets Body, where heartfelt lyrics meets tender melodys. Whether your a Fan of the band or just into Indie Rock in general, this album will not dissapoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Discovered a great band, 1 Feb 2006
A. Obrzut "aobrzut2" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plans (Audio CD)
I found DCFC surfing amazon and downloaded 'I will follow you into the dark.' Fell in love with the track and instantly decided to purchase the album. I agree with one prior review that there are some tracks that are not so great such as 'Someday you will be loved' but I can not remember an album I purchased over the last 20 years where I like every track and remember the axiom 'You can not please every one all of the time.'
This album will appeal to indie fans who have a broad taste in music and of whom enjoy well crafted lyrics. DCFC are dark and simplistic yet leave a subtle impression of ingenuity.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 15 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Plans (Audio CD)
i have never felt compelled enough to actually bother 2 write one of these reviews but 'plans' is such an amazing album,it is my duty to tell people how good it is in the hope that they will listen to it.this was the 1st death cab album i bought after hearing 'crooked teeth' by far the best song in my opinion has to be 'i will follow you into the dark' the lyrics are so moving the whole album is just perfect,i went on 2 buy all their albums and i love each and every one!you need this cd in your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Plans, 1 Oct 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Plans (Audio CD)
As the Amazon blurb has stated "If Transatlanticism was an inhale, Plans is the exhale" and it has to be said that as an individual album it is excellent, but as a companion piece to `Transatlanticism' it is simply flawless. It sounds just similar enough to past albums be enjoyed by existing fans, but it also shows real development whilst retaining the bands original spark. On first listen I loved `Soul Meets Body' and this was only confirmed the more I played this album. I also love the bass playing throughout the album and there are some deft touches and amazing riffs on many tracks; and the most enjoyable for me by far is `Summer Skin' for the bass during the intro. There are the quirky, unique lyrics that made `Transatlanticism' standout in spades and more tight song-writing and accomplished musicianship. As I wrote in my review for `Transatlaticism', after you hear this band you will be wanting to track down more of their music and I have to say I am so glad I did and I am even more impressed than I previously was. If you like great music with an original edge then you will not be disappointed when you give this band a try and if you know some of their previous work, then you know what a treat you will be in for!! Highly recommended.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Death, no, fantastic!!, 18 May 2007
Mr. Matthew Munroe "Worldasleep" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Plans (Audio CD)
When I first heard their name, I thought DCFC would be some kind of hard/emo-core band. I've never been so wrong. Plans is, quite simply, very chilled and even more beautiful! There is a certain meaning and almost urgency to the lyrics and style of the album, the songs are beautiful without being gentle or quiet or even particularly slow. It's a fantastic album and one I am very glad I bought, to be honest, I think most people would feel the same!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Plans
Plans by Death Cab for Cutie (Audio CD - 2005)