5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Excellent Album
Published on 5 Mar 2006 by David Lusher

3.0 out of 5 stars Half A Great Record.......
Tricky one this. Quo's latest offering leaves me with mixed emotions, and emotion is certainly the word as a long standing fan eagerly anticipating each new release.

Published on 7 Oct 2006 by music_is_medicine

3.0 out of 5 stars Half A Great Record......., 7 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION) (Audio CD)

The album is nothing if not varied, and sometimes it works. There is a mixture of pop, rock and some country-esque sounds. Where the album goes mostly wrong are the numbers NOT written by Quo, instead written by John David. These are title track and lead single 'Party Ain't Over Yet' and 'All That Counts Is Love'. Both these songs sound almost identical but neither are very good; I wouldn't mind the middle-of-the-road style too much if the melodies were catchy, unfortunately they are plain boring.

Dipping in to where the album goes RIGHT, I would say the best are:

The utterly superb 'Gotta Get Up and Go'. Strong boogie and classic melody, if you love the album 'Dog Of Two Head' you will lap this up. Certainly the best here.

'Belavista Man'. Perfect blues song, perfect for Rick Parfitt's raw voice. This is really excellent and very cool....can see this being played live for many years to come. Great riff, great feel, great everything!

I love 'Velvet Train' too, a thundering intro leads into an interesting vocal and this is Quo rocking like they should. It's not heavy but doesn't need to be. Good and catchy, nice fast tempo and great musicianship all round.

'Goodbye Baby' is a simple rock n roll number in the style of 'Bye Bye Johnny' and 'Carol'. It won't win awards for originality but who cares - this is rock n roll by numbers and is very welcome, especially compared to the John David tracks!

'You Never Stop' is in the top 3 best from this album (with the first two I mentioned). Typical classic Quo boogie, sounding very much like Piledriver, a very effective and melodic track.

Other tracks on this album feel incomplete and annoyingly could have been something far better with different verses/choruses. 'Familiar Blues' is an acoustic ballad sung by Rick Parfitt but is no 'Living On An Island'. Mainly because of the awful chorus, which is just 'ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh'. With a proper chorus this could have been a classic. Sounds unfinished.

'The Bubble' sounds a bit like something The Rolling Stones would have done in recent years. It has a good, rocking chorus but the verses don't quite work for some reason. Francis's vocal sounds uncomfortable.

'Nevashooda' I just don't get. When I heard the interesting acoustic guitar riff I thought it was going to be really good, but the chorus is a real comedown with just the word 'Nevashooda' being repeated. Not catchy enough. Like the idea though.

'Cupid Stupid' is yet ANOTHER one that gives the impression of being unfinished. A great, great riff (think Piledriver) and an excellent vocal tune on the verse indicate brilliant things for this song, but the chorus sounds like a middle 8......never goes anywhere and leaves you feeling there should have been a belter of a chorus.

The other two, 'Kick Me When I'm Down' and 'This Is Me' are both Rick Parfitt vocal numbers and aren't bad but fall short of the very good category. This is because 'Kick Me When I'm Down' is just too basic for my liking, a rock n roll stormer but lacks any memorable parts. 'This Is Me' is alright as a slow, acoustic album closer, and is very unique with personal lyrics describing Rick's tendency to play the field when it comes to love. The sentiment behind ths song saves it and although not excellent (a little cheesey) has some merit. The chorous is strangely psychedelic and could have been from their 60's albums!

In short....no way near as good as the brilliant 'Heavy Traffic'. When 'The Party Ain't Over Yet' gets it right, it is extremely good. But when less than half the album is extremely good, I cannot rate it more than 3 stars. A good effort but I hope for something closer to 'Heavy Traffic' next time lads!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Excellent Album, 5 Mar 2006
David Lusher (London England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION) (Audio CD)
The fact that Status Quo can deliver an album of this quality after around 40 years in the business is quite something. This really is a cracker! From the first track, it'll have you bouncing around the room and scaring the family pets. The song writing is excellent and there are some classics here - 'The Party Ain't Over Yet', 'The Bubble', 'Familiar Blues', 'All That Counts as Love' and 'Belavista Man' are really good songs, tightly played and delivered as one might expect. 'Familiar Blues' surprises with its acoustic opening and then kicks into a strong country blues number. Status Quo are far from finished in the business when they can deliver an album of this fine quality. The title says it all!

5.0 out of 5 stars And they'll be the last ones standing, 5 Nov 2005
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION) (Audio CD)
I saw Quo last night at Hull City Hall and they still generate an energy, excitement and togetherness that's unique. The place was packed and jumping. Indeed, jump was virtually all you could do. The only space left was overhead. Quo only played a couple of songs from this album, the title track, which sounded far better live, and "Belavista Man", a typical rocker, which didn't.
The album confirms Quo's return part way towards what they did so well in the 1970s though it's unlikely they'll ever make it all the way back. Even so, they're still making far more exciting rock music than the rest. At first, I judged this a somewhat patchy effort and it does contain the odd lapse into the old pop territory of the 1980s/90s. But after I loaded it on to the ipod to sit alongside a few dozen albums by other rock bands, I discovered it in a new light. Playing the tracks at random, I was struck by just how stuffy everything else sounded. Even the lesser Quo tracks were like a breath of fresh air. There is a freedom about this music that defies the chuntering music journalists, most of whom, let's face it, haven't a clue. If they can't analyse it, they don't like it.
So, what's so good about this? Quo being Quo yet again, of course. "Gotta Get Up And Go" is a tight, infectious number. You think, I've heard them do something like this before and I can't put my finger on it, but who cares? The Quo catalogue is like an extended family, songs that are warm and familiar with one another. That family is greatly extended here, though on a few tracks, Quo have included on or two novel touches. The hell-for-leather opening to the superb "Velvet Train" for one. They even let Andy Bown loose with the harmonica. The closing track, Rick Parfitt's "This Is Me" demonstrates that they can also build a song gradually and, for once, it's a song that touches on a personal matter.
There's certainly one black sheep on this album though. "Goodbye Baby", with its tame imitation of the "Bye Bye Johnny" refrain is a mistake. It's not enough to spoil the album however and I'm torn between rating it objectively against its superior 1970s cousins and giving it the full five stars. Oh what the hell, when I think of some of the rubbish that gets five stars elsewhere on Amazon... Buy it, buy it, buy them ALL dammit. Put aside your prejudices and let your hair down (those of you who haven't any hair can nod your heads to the Quo just as easily).

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best at what they do, 17 Oct 2005
S Finnerty "Steve" (Hedge End, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION) (Audio CD)
I have been a quo fan from my school days (and taken the stick that goes with it). We fell out during their karaoke phase during the 80s and early 90s but I redescovered them with the the excellent Under the Influence and Heavey Traffic albums. This one stacks up well against those, a bit less variation but gets better each time you listen to it. Of the 13 tracks "All that counts is love" is a bit limp as is Cupid Stupid but the rest are good solid tracks. The highlights are "Gotta Get Up and Go", the best Rossi song for ages, "The Bubble" which is catchy and "Kick me When I'm Down" with its driving back beat. Best of all they sound like a band that is enjoying their work with the writing honors shared around, the playing tight and a sense of fun that always marked quo out as a band that did not take themselves too seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quo Reunion, 14 Mar 2008
Julie Mcbride "Stevie M" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION) (Audio CD)
This is in my wifes name as shes the one with the credit card!!I was a hardened Status quo fan from thier single In my chair way back in the seventies. I bought all thier releases and went to a good few of thier concerts in the Glasgow appollo, A great venue for a great band. I used to get pretty apprehensive when I went to buy a ticket and got a seat in the circle, The reason being everyone rocked in unison and the balcony was always looking as though it would come down.
Anyway we sort of parted company in the late seventies and I hadn't even listened to them for years till my wife bought me thier autobiography at christmas. It kind of put me in the mood for listening to thier stuff again and I am glad I did. I then thought I would buy this up to date CD just to see if they still had what they had back then -I was blown away!! I think this album is brilliant I cant find a bad tune on it. Its hard to believe these guys are the age that they are. Its not uncommon to buy a cd these days and find two ot three tunes worth listening to. The song writing the music the production are superb, I love it, it has rekindled something in me and I found myself dancing round the room with my two year old in my arms . Just a real feel good collection of songs. Ive read alot of reviews of some of thier records and there is some concern about them being a bit lightweight. I liked the real hard rock from the seventies but you cant keep bringing out the same stuff all the time. Just turn this up real loud and let yourself go its a cracker The second track is my favourite-"Got to get up and Go! I only got this a few days ago and cant stop playing it .It dosn't need breaking in a superb album I dont think its just my age as I listen to an awfull lot of music and play in a folk band myself. But I think Quo could put many a modern band to shame with thier abilities!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Page 3 girls, cheerleaders and a new Status Quo single, 15 Sep 2005
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Page 3 girls, cheerleaders and a new Status Quo single - it's like the last two decades never happened
In case you're wondering the first two appear in the video for the new Quo single, in which case you'll want the DVD version, as I doubt it will be appearing on a telly box anywhere near you.
Back to the song, written by John David, it was an American hit for Patty Loveless back in 1998 (and you can find it on her "Long Stretch of Lonesome" album. I suppose it makes vague sense for Quo to be covering chugging country songs, but when they've got Bob Young back writing again, it seems a bit daft. Especially, when the B-side (on the CD single, but not the DVD or 7") is a nice mid tempo boogie with all the old Quo trademark riffs.
Of course, you could always be an old fogie like me, and buy the 7" with a live 2005 version of "Gerdundula" on the actual

5.0 out of 5 stars Back with a punch - for sure, 16 Sep 2005
Peter John Mueller (Engelburg, SG Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION) (Audio CD)
Okay, folks, I've got it rolling in my CD player - if you didn't like Patty Loveless's version of "The Party Ain't Over Yet", this will certainly do - even if it's a bit tame for Quo standards. "Familiar Blues" and, as we've all gotten accustomed to, the closer, "This Is Me", ride a softer train, and remain still enjoyable. As for "Belavista Man", "Nevashooda" and "The Bubble", these are a bit off-white but still have a punch to them. As for "Gotta Get Up And Go", "All That Counts Is Love", "Velvet Train", "Goodbye Baby", "You Never Stop", "Kick Me When I'm Down" and "Cupid Stupid", every bit of these are as classic Quo as you can get. Yes, it's not breakneck Quo à la 1974 with stuff like "Backwater", etc., nor is it the thundering "Do It Again" from their last release, but it's boogie pleasure all the way through, with very few shortcuts. I am still amazed at the tightness of the playing and the immediate spark that flies off of Quo's albums after all of 40 years. So do you need it? Yes, you do. Play loud and get kickin'! This stuff is going to burn on stage, too. Good, VERY good, Quo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but could have been better still!, 19 Feb 2006
Bazzer (Eastbourne, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION) (Audio CD)
Status Quo continue their revitalisation with their follow up to the rip roaring Heavy Traffic, their best album for 20 years!
Despite the dreadful title, The Party Ain't Over Yet is another good release, with the title track, 'Gotta Get Up And Go', 'You Never Stop', 'Cupid Stupid', 'Velvet Train' and 'Kick me When I'm Down' all worthy additions to Quo's back catalogue.
The only thing that lets it down is that, similar to Heavy Traffic, The Party Ain't Over Yet is probably about three tracks too long. 'Familiar Blues', 'Nevashooda' and 'This Is Me' could have done with being omitted and the album, in my opinion, would have been just as strong, if not stronger and, whilst we all like to have value for money with our Quo releases, I personally prefer quality over quantity!
Again though, this is just a minor point (not to mention just my personal opinion!) Overall, another very good album which I'll quite happily put with with likes of Hello, Quo, Heavy Traffic and the like!

3.0 out of 5 stars GOOD, 12 July 2014
This review is from: The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION) (Audio CD)
Not one of their better albums but added to my collection of quo albums. Devoted fans only i'd say.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Party Certainly Isn�t over Yet!, 19 Sep 2005
J. Berry "Gadget Man" (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION) (Audio CD)
If, like me, you've become tired of all the boring, over-hyped, mediocre music that we seem to be forced to listen to these days, then why not give your ears a real treat and listen to a classic British Band at their finest! Quo prove once again why they have stood the test of time and why they are still one of the finest bands around. Track for track this is a superb album and one that will quickly become a 'Classic.' No fillers here - just thirteen great tracks, played superbly that restore my faith in British Music once again! Thank God for Status Quo - The Party Certainly Isn't over Yet!

The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION)
The Party Ain't Over yet (OLD VERSION) by Status Quo (Audio CD - 2008)