5.0 out of 5 stars A great return!, 16 Oct 2005
This review is from: From The Six Corners (Audio CD)
After their debut album "Clear The Decks", Mick Talbot, Steve White and Damon Minchella return with this album, a very good one indeed. But this time they have some additions to their sound.
"Clear The Decks" was, basically, an instrumental album. It's very similar to a Corduroy album with touches of Booker T & The MGs. And now, they have included vocals. Kelly Dickson has come to give a soulful and a funky sense to the Players. I remember an Acid Jazz band called Incognito in the 90's, and I found their style in "From The Six Corners". But songs like "Find Your Way" show some other influences (Hendrix, Buddy Miles and Santana).
The album opens with "What's Your Problem?" and I would say that there's not a single problem with it. It reminds me of Macy Gray and the old days bands like Cold Blood. The next song "No Big Deal" goes in the same line.
Aziz Ibrahim (Who was part of the original lineup in their 2003 debut) plays guitar in "All The Good Things", and one of these good things is Mick's playing the keyboards in a very relaxing song. Now, Ken Papenfus is the guitarist (The first time I saw him was in Paul Weller's DVD "Studio 150", and he does it very well), he also sings and contributes in the songwriting.
The album is a fine work, it would be a shame if it doesn't reach a commercial success because it has everything to achive it, but the best of all is that "From The Six Corners" doesn't sacrify quality. That's something to have in mind!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting discovery..., 21 Aug 2006
This review is from: From The Six Corners (Audio CD)
I first saw these guys at Glastonbury 2005 on the Jazz stage where they played most of the songs off this album.

The performance was awesome and when I found this on Amazon I bought it straight away

The Players music is very funky jazz and all of the songs are good. The best songs are What's Your Problem, Find Your Way and Quinto Del Sordo.

Overall this is an awesome album to chill out to whilst writing essays and the like, in fact I'm listening while I write this.

Last point I have never come across any mention of the players in the media which is a shame as they deserve some recognition but they are very good and I'm glad I found out they existed. So buy this album today and discover the players magic you won't regret it.

From The Six Corners
From The Six Corners by Players (Audio CD - 2005)