on 9 October 2005
As expected, Little Brother's second album is every bit as good as their classic debut, "The Listening". This is far more polished than "The Listening" - this is not a bad thing and as a result is a more cohesive album. Each track flows beautifully into the other - with some brilliant skits in between.
This should be checked out by anyone interested in intelligent hip-hop, like Blackalicious etc.. Little Brother have stuck to tried and tested formula of solid beats and catchy hooks - with some pretty good verses by Phonte and Big Pooh, both of which (controversially, possibly!) I only consider as average emcees!
Nonetheless, a very solid album, and along with Blackalicious' third album, "The Craft", are two beacons of light in hip-hop music in 2005, which is being killed at present, with the usual recycled beats and montomous lyrics.(I won't mention any names!!)
Anyway, BUY THIS, sit back and enjoy!
on 10 October 2005
A fantastic CD, every track a winner with exceptional lyrics, diverse samples and excellent production. "Cheatin'" is a surprising but very good track, a bit like a new Isley brother track, you're expecting R. Kelly to add a verse! But each track stands out, and the special guests of Elzhi and Darien Brockington are great choices. After getting Chitlin Circuit (which I still haven't listened to yet fully!) I am even more impressed by this guys.
9th Wonder is up there in my books with Pete Rock, DJ Premier, Easy Mo Bee and Jay Dee as a great producer, heavy beats and bass and good use of samples. Make sure you get this!
on 4 March 2008
This is undoubtly one of the best hip-hop albums I have encountered, even better than "the listening".
It is an artistic mistake for hip-hop lovers to not have it in your collection. 3 years following its release I still listen to it and it flows smoothly in to my ears with great satisfaction!
Go for it.
on 7 September 2005
One of the must have albums this year, every track is great to listen to, no need to skip tracks. The Album has a mix selection of rythm and beats aswell as rap. Little Brother Are A Fantastic Group and this album is well worth buying.
1. Welcome to the minstrel show----nice introduction 8/10
2. Beautiful Morning---nice bit of rapping 8/10
3. The Becomming-----nice music to great rapping 9/10
4. Not Enough---great song with fantastic verses by D.Brockington 9/10
5. Cheatin---one of the best songs on album, blend of rnb 10/10
6. Hiding Place---great tune great lyrics 9/10
7. Slow It Down---another great hit featuring D.Brockington 9/10
8. Say it Again---great backing vocals to a catchy tune 9/10
9. 5th And Fashion--greatest skit ever by far 9/10
10.Lovin it---best song on album 10/10
11. Diary of a mad black daddy---skit
12. All For You---great catchy tune 9/10
13. Watch Me---more great rapping 8/10
14. Sincerely Yous---great background music 8/10
15. Still Lives Through---great slow rapping 8/10
16. Closing Theme--great catchy beat ft yazarah 9/10
17. We Got Now---perfect ending to a great album 9/10
If You are a hip hop fan then you MUST owe this album, keep up the good work little brother.
on 31 March 2006
An amazing album, If you don't like this album, you don't like hip-hop music. For me is one of the greatest hip-hop albums in the last 3 years.
9th Wonder is mixing an amazing smooth beats from the soul, and 2 great MC's: Phonte and Big Pooh.
If you like the Old School rap, you have to listen Little Brother
Real Hip-Hop 4 Life!