5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting
This film to me is one of the most haunting and significant films I have ever seen - probably THE most. I've live a whole lot of life and seen thousands of films, but none of those films have come close to portraying the helplessness and hopelessness of life as this does.

Published on 18 Dec 2011 by S. Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing film, shoddy UK release
Please note, this review is for the UK release of Naked [DVD] [1993], and NOT the Criterion version as it states in the description.

The film itself is one of my all time favourites, and certainly the best British film of the 90s.

Published on 10 Oct 2012 by J. Potter

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 18 Dec 2011
S. Brown - See all my reviews

I first saw it in the '90s at a time when my life was chaotic. I understand how a person's life can fall from order to disorder and randomness over the period of a weekend. Having random experiences and meeting random people can be one of the best experiences in life and also the worst. Mike Leigh portrays this as well as can be done without experiencing it. To the people who don't understand this film, who may think it's directionless, I say this is simply because you have not lived this kind of life. Don't watch the film with expectations and judge it by your own lives - watch it with an open mind and understand that this is the kind of thing that can happen to real people.

David Thewlis was the perfect casting for this role, his depiction of the lead character is basically flawless. I found this film indredibly depressing and powerful to watch, probably because it counterpointed so many problems with my own lifestyle. I understand that to people who have lived an ordered life this film will seem odd and unrealistic. Each time I put this film on I do so with a sense of trepidation as I know it's going to affect me, but it's so damn good I just have to, though I ration myself to a few times a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 10 Feb 2007
This review is from: Criterion Collection: Naked [DVD] [1993] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
This is one of the best British films that i've seen in a long time. David Thewlis gives an incredible performance. I'm not a huge fan of some of Mike Leigh's more recent films bit this is one of his best in my opinion. (I also recommend Meantime and High Hopes). I can't really think of any films to compare this to as it is unique but if you like dark, thought provoking cinema then you should watch this. Also, there are some good extras on this criterion edition which make it worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars “Naked” on BLU RAY – Compatibility Issues For UK and EUROPEAN Buyers…, 28 Feb 2014
Mark Barry "Mark Barry" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
At present this 1993 cult classic starring David Thewlis is only available on BLU RAY in the States (boasting a top notch transfer too). But therein lies a problem for UK and European buyers…

The US issue is REGION-A LOCKED - so it WILL NOT PLAY on most UK Blu Ray players unless they're chipped to play 'all' regions (which the vast majority aren't). Don’t confuse BLU RAY players that have multi-region capability on the 'DVD' front – that won’t help.

Until such time as someone else gives “Naked” a REGION B and C release – check your ‘BLU RAY’ player has the capacity to play REGION A – before you buy the pricey Criterion issue…

5.0 out of 5 stars This film is hard cutting psychological mind bending -, 22 Mar 2006
Psychology and philosophy goes wild on the streets - the acting is brilliant and the script gives you plenty to think about - sometimes raw, the main character always seems to say exactly what he is thinking, his soul is laid naked and he pays the price!

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing film, shoddy UK release, 10 Oct 2012

However, as usual, it's been a long, long time since it got a UK release, and came out on Criterion in the US YEARS ago (pretty strange, as it's a British film).

All we get is an audio commentary, trailers, subtitles, and an absolutely awful DVD transfer. I've noticed this with a lot of DVD's I've been purchasing lately (Hair Extensions, Sick Nurses, and a few others).

It looks almost like it's been downloaded.

I guess one of the main reasons DVD's are so cheap these days, is not just because of Blu Ray coming out and trying to take over, but because the companies who release them really don't make the effort anymore regarding the transfers. I popped in an old DVD and it's amazing just how much better the image quality was. This is almost a pound shop job on an all time classic.

Film- 5 *****

Release- 2 **

Guess I'll have to save up more for the Criterion version.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't get it, 18 April 2008
I cannot for the life of me understand all the 5 star reviews. This film comprises a rediculously unbelieveable script populated with unbelieveable, 2-dimensional, cliched characters and executed with heavy, wooden performances. Is this what happens when artistic folk conspire to create "gritty" and "real" drama. The total running time of nearly two and a half hours makes this ham-fisted effort almost unwatchable