Format: DVD|Change

on 27 June 2006
For a long time, the only hint of Gremlins on DVD Region 2 was the first film. Those of us after the second installment had to wait for this set to be released - which contains both the original film (in the exact same release that it had on its own) and "Gremlins 2: The New Batch".

If you already own the first one, this may be your only hope of getting your paws on the second, so is it worth shaving out for a copy of a film you already have?

It's fairly ironic that these films are released together, because they bare nearly nothing in common. The first one was a B-type horror movie with some comedy thrown in. Gremlins 2 is very much a comedy movie with a few scares thrown in. The way it lampoons the first movie and even mocks its success is rarely seen in Hollywood.

Set in a futuristic building housing offices and a TV network in New York, Gizmo the cute little mogwai causes havoc once again and gives birth to a whole host of new critters including talking and singing gremlins who take over the building waiting for nightfall to spill into the city. It's down to those trapped inside the building the stop the invasion force with the help of a couple of returners from last time round.

The fast paced film leaps from one joke to another as the gremlins broadcast live to New York and mount musical numbers as they wait for their chance in the Big Apple. A full-length commentary is a great listen, and the blooper-reel, deleted scenes and easter egg are fun to watch.

This is one of the few occasions where a sequel is much better then it's first incarnation, and this set is worth buying for the second film alone. And if you end up with two copies of the first film, they make a great coaster.
on 27 March 2001
These two films are fantastic, the second one being better than the first in my opinion. The first one, a classic creepy film, although creepiness gets overtaken by cuteness!! The second one is hilariously funny, the scenes in the high tech building are so great, (not wanting to give anything away but the scene where billy's girlfriend is in the elevator is my favourite!) In no way should these timeless classics be missed - a must for everyone!!!
on 6 March 2011
If I could rate each video the first would probably get 2 Stars and the Gremlins II 4 stars. After talking to my sons about the Gremlins after one off them had draw something that looked like one, they plagued me to order the film. The boys sort of enjoyed the first one.. I on the other hand was disappointed as it wasn't the film I remembered... thankfully Gremlins II was as funny as I remembered and the boys loved it... and although the film is years old not it still held the attention of the todays generation!!
on 11 January 2011
The quality of the movies are good. Remember that they are from more than 20 years ago!!
When I was a kid I really enjoyed the first one, so when the second came out it was "party" time.

I won't explain about what the movies are, other people have done it already.

The first one doesn't come with any extras on it, it is just the movie.
The second comes with a bunch of deleted scenes and "the making of". Althought the "making of" is more like a teaser of 5 minutes. Which dissapointed me a bit.

But for the price i couldn't go wrong. I am glad that I got both movies now in my collection, as the VHS version were a bit "old".

I only give it a 4-star because of the poor extras of the second movies.

If I would rate the movies alone I would give it a 5-star. Because these are movies everybody should have seen!
on 31 January 2015
Box does not look anything like the one advertised! Came as one DVD box with 2 discs in it. Disapointed as the white box looked much better. My daughter watched on TV at Xmas and loved it so it was ordered. I did not realise it was a 15 until after we watched. She was not disturbed by any of the scenes but I did skip last a scene after reading a spoiler alert that Kate talks about Santa not being real. I don't want her watching that as she is just 6. My husband & I both watched it as kids so it didn't even occur to us that it would be a 15 although I believe it was reclassified later in the UK as a 12A. If your child frightens easy them may not be the film for you as it is a bit gruesome. On the plus side it is a good price for 2 DVDs. Just don't expect it to look as it's advertised.
on 9 August 2015
As a huge Gremlins fan and collector, I purchased this solely for the box art. I was expecting the white sleeve and two separate DVDs as shown, however I received one case with the two discs inside. Dissapointing.
review image
on 2 May 2016
I watched the second Gremlins movie when I was about 10 and thought it was the funniest thing I had ever seen! I brought this a while back as I had never seen the first one and wanted to watch the second one agian, thought it would be cool to own them on DVD as well. I love both of these movies, i found them funny and love how the 1st Gremlins is a really daft comedy/horror and the 2nd one doesn't even play out like a horror and just pokes fun out of the first film by being even more stupid which says it doesn't take itself seriously and is just meant to be silly and entertaining. Both these films are amazing but wish there was a 3rd.
on 26 February 2013
If you haven't seen Gremlins or Gremlins 2 then I would highly recommend them. The first film is a mix between a light hearted horror and Christmas film. Its great fun and has the ability to give you a fright and make you laugh all in one scene. The second film is a parody of the first film but that doesn't make it any less watchable. Gone is the restraint and this is full out whackiness like a live action cartoon with all different types of Gremlins taking over a futuristic building in New York.

The quality of the DVD transfer is okay, but personally I think they could have spent more time trying to remaster it.
on 13 June 2015
One of the most famous satirical comedies of all time directed by frequent tongue in cheek director Joe Dante.

Gremlins.
This is very dark but very funny which the genres well blended together with acting that is really hammy, but an original script written by Chris Columbus and fabulous vision from Joe Dante.
Gremlins 2.
This is sequel is more of a satirical tongue in cheek film which also funny but over the wall and still hammy acting. Joe Dante still manages to make a hilarious film.
on 29 May 2013
I bought these so I could show my nine year old daughter as we had been wathing film clips and, like everyone else, she fell head over heels in love with Gizmo. I loved watching these films again, almost as I loved watching my daughter laugh and jump her way through the movies. These films are dated, but they're worth it.