Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 December 2005
Many of my friends think this album is a waste of a cd. Apparently "Do you want to" made no sense, the video was stupid and the song was about nothing.
Aparently.
In fact, "Do you want to" is the song that lured me into this album. This defines what FF are; the slashy guitar tones and the dodgey, funny lyrics/vocals come in and you remember why you liked "Fire", "Take me out" and "Dark of the matinee".
This album is much like their last, but with more songs that make their origins and influences more obvious to the listener. Songs that stand out are: "The Fallen", "Do You Want To", "This Boy" (similar to "Micheal" on their last album), and "walk away is a subtle slow tune that hasn't really been tried very much by Franz ...but it works really well, possibly the best vocal track on the album. Its amazing how they've come up with a huge range of decent tracks in just over a year...they really tried on this album, and it shows through the retroness they create in the recording studio. A must have for any Franz fan, and an excellent album to own anyway. 10/10!
on 5 October 2005
Franz Ferdinand hit the ground running with their self-titled debut album. At the time, when I listened to the album I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, or since the other amazing debuts in the past like The Stone Roses. I also wondered if they could even reach this height again, or would they drift away into the ocean with the likes of The Seahorses who called it a day when they knew they couldn't better their debut.

Franz Ferdinand know they will fall by the own sword when it inevitably all does turn sour, like The Stone Roses, by the sheer quality and musical depth of their previous albums. It was a brave move to follow it up, and let me tell you - they have pulled it off.
The album starts with a statement. Fallen has a long instrumental start that had me a little worried at first. Had they turn pretentious? Nah, just grabbing the attention of the listener. This attention is held in a tight grip until the album finishes. A truly great album has this type of quality, whereby the listener is compelled to listen and stops the album becoming a background track to a good night. There is diversity in the tracks. There was a slight criticism of the debut being a bit samey. I think this has disappeared due to the clever placement of tracks, slower tracks pepper the track listing with 'Walk Away', 'Eleanor Put Your Boots On' and 'Fade Together' breaking up the otherwise fast paced riot that Franz Ferdinand bring with them.
These slower tracks, do they work? Can Franz do slow? Yes they can. Sounds a little odd when you first hear 'Eleanor Put Your Boots On', not the Franz we know and love I thought, but it grows on you. Franz Ferdinand show they are capable of delivering surprises - something that is especially required after the surprise of the debut. This extra dimension they have found makes this album. It shows certain maturity in their song writing and album production.
The tracks in general have the typical change in rhythm and pace that can be associated with Franz Ferdinand, in fact without needing to be told, any one who has the debut could easily guess this is a follow up. A couple of tracks sound like they are continuations of debut efforts - 'This Boy' follows 'Michael' especially well. 'Walk Away' is my standout track on the album. Brilliantly gentle, with guitar bends and backing vocals. This track does have a slightly more mainstream appeal that should put it in a good position for radio play. This is one of the rare occurrences on the album where you feel their approach had been tapered slightly to catch the largest audience possible. This is a one off though, I am pleased to say the album has not sold out to mainstream in the same manner as Electric Soft Parade's follow-up to the debut 'Holes In Walls'. (Became too bland and commercial - thus losing all of their main qualities).
Overall this album delivers the Art Rock dance hall musical riot that we all hoped for, and partly expected. The new dimensions added stop the album becoming a cheating copy of the debut. Welcome back Franz, nice to hear you.
*** Like: - Joy Division, Gang of Four, Pixies, Interpol and thankfully like Franz Ferdinand ***
Having loved the debut album I was not expecting too much in terms of change in formula but 'You Could Have It So Much Better' goes straight to a higher level. The unmistakable guitar sound is still there ( almost a Big Country style signature)but everything else is much more refined. The production is excellent to allow the distinctive vocals to shine. Every song is delivered with 100% commitment and means there is not a bad track to be heard. If I had to pick a favourite track it would be 'Eleanor Put Your Boots On' as it is just so different.
Even better than their first album. "The Fallen" I think is the highlight of this album, ingenious and very tuneful. But there are a number of fine tracks. Definitely one to listen to over and again, I strongly recommend this album to anyone who liked their debut (or indeed anyone who likes decent, funky rock with an arty edge).
on 7 October 2005
i did like the 1st album but felt it was overhyped and nothing special, with only 2 really brilliant songs.
The second is a vast improvement-catchier,bigger songs with better hooks and more creativity.
The suprise about this album and what makes it better is the two slower songs, the beatlesesque "elanor put your boots on" and the radiohead feel of "fade together" - 2 very strong songs.
and then of course there's the catchy numbers -"do you want to", "this boy" with its "i want a car hook", "walk away" which seems like a much more complete song than any they've done before,and the outstanding album finisher "outsiders".It's really hard picking a favourite on here as opposed to how much better "take me out" was compared to the other songs on the last album.
Of course there is the odd filler track, but there's a lot of fun to be had in listening to this and finally Franz Ferdinand are on their way to deserving the hype that surrounds them.
on 10 October 2005
I first purchased this album a few days ago.. The first time I listened to it, it was so different to what I was expecting; it wasn't as dressed up as their first album. The label they have gone for gives a much 'rougher' sound to their music, which is more popular amoung us indie audiences, the music sounds a lot more on the same level as that of 'The Libertines', 'Babyshambles' and 'The Paddingtons' (sub-bands, formed from members of The Libs.
I, and my friends would agree, that when you first hear the album, it dosn't seem as good as the first one they released. However, after listening to it a few times, it really does grow on you. I have now completely fallen in love with this album, and it is one of the most played albums on my iPod. My friends and I absolutly love it!
Well worth the money, I suggest you get it now and don't judge it on first impressions!
Well done Franz Ferdinand!
Peter550
on 7 November 2005
On hearing this album, the format reminded me so much of Oasis latest album.
Not the sound, but the one red herring track (the first released single) in each case.
For Oasis, it was Lyla. A good song yes, but nothing like the rest of the album. Here, we have Do You Want To, which again is a great powerful song, but nothing like the rest of the album.
That aside, the art-rockers go from strength to strength. A really cohesive album from the boys here, some outstanding songwriting, and an album so creativly diverse it's untrue. There's no filler, and every track is a gem.
Next single Walk Away is perhaps their finest ever moment. It's a track they've had kicking about since early 2004, but has been so expertly produced and harmonised it'll be a crime if it isn't a number one.
If i had to pick the albums highlights, i'd personally go for:
Do You Want To
The Fallen
*Walk Away* - Album Star Track
Eleanor Put Your Boots On
Evil And A Heathen
This Boy
do yourself a favour and get this album. Absolute genius!
on 1 October 2013
This is an excellent second album from the Scottish indie rockers with nice, short, punchy tracks as on the first outing including the excellent 'Do You Want To' - a classic example of the band's tight, riff-laden sound - although it has to be noted that on tracks such as 'Eleanor Put Your Boots On', Alex Kapranos and the boys aren't afraid to add a lovely bit of subtlety into the mix with considerable success it has to be noted. Well worth checking this album out if you missed it back in 2005.
on 25 November 2005
I bought the first album as a Christmas present for my ex and unfortunately never actually manage to listen to it. But I bought this one just out of pure curiosity. (Also I like their sort of style). And am so not disappointed. All songs are equally as good and loud and makes you want to dance (or at least made you feel as if you just come back from a concert!). It is very rock and rolly 70s era like - just the style of their music I suppose. Kind of like the Shadows mix with the Beatles with Ocean Colour Scene thrown in the middle. I am the master of depressing music - but this album is very tongue in cheek, bril - a real gem!
VINE VOICEon 3 December 2006
I'm somewhat disadvantaged in assessing this collection because I've never heard the first album - but believe me, it's on my Christmas List! In my experience, second albums released hastily on the back of a successful debut are nothing to write home about. And Mercury prize winners are another cause for suspicion in my book. However, this one is a big exception. It's imaginitive, interesting and (after quite a few listens) entertaining. But you've got to play it a lot of times and give it a chance! With the first hearing, I didn't think I'd enjoy it. And I was right - I didn't - apart from a couple of the more conventional-sounding tracks such as Eleanor and Walk Away. But that's not the time to write a review, which I suspect is the problem with most of the negative reviews here. Giving an album one star because it's not how you would like it to be misses the whole point of objective appraisal. Would you say Beethoven was rubbish because it's not like Coldplay? To my mind this is an excellent album. The dry wit of the lyrics in particular reveals itself gradually the more times you listen. I wouldn't normally resort to filling my review by quoting lyrics but I can't resist including the phrases "I've watched you clean the filth off your phone dial" and "As you walk away, Radio 4 is static". The melodies are unusual but they grow on you and are all the more satisfying for that. It may sound unlikely but at times the sound of the band approaches that of Captain Beefheart's early 70's Magic Band, with a driving bass, thumping drums and a relentless Telecaster rhythm, particularly on "I'm Your Villain". I've not heard another band get near that sound before (and if you like it, get yourself a copy of the astonishing Trout Mask Replica). An original and clever album. Not dramatic enough for five stars but - buy it, give it time and it will reward you.