Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£37.63+ £1.26 shipping

on 11 January 2006
I like Susheela Raman. Her previous album, Salt Rain, is a favourite and I regularly return to it. Music For Crocodiles isn't as good, it lacks the originality and isn't as distinctively her - it hasn't grabbed me in quite the same way. That said, it is still a pleasant listen - I will give it a few more tries to see if it grows on me. For those new to Ms Raman, I'd recommend trying Salt Rain first.

The big problem I have is with the copy protection. In line with the reviewer below, I've found this causes real difficulties. I played it on an old mini system in the kitchen and it worked fine. I then made the mistake of putting it into my Mac to load onto iTunes and then onto my iPod (which I use for a lot of my music listening). My Mac completely seized up and, eventually, all I could do was pull the plug on the Mac with several open documents - upon rebooting I was able remove the CD. I haven't dared try it in my car CD player.

Looking at the CD case, in small type on the reverse is a comment that it has copy protection and may not work in car CD players. So, let's get this straight, I buy a CD but it is mangled deliberately by the manufacturer so that I can't play it? Great tactic - it won't stop the teenage hackers (who would probably not buy this album anyway) but it annoys the actual buyers. If copy protection issues stop you listening to the album, it is a major issue. Record companies (and internet vendors) should be forced to disclose PROMINENTLY any copy protection so the informed potential buyer can make a decision on whether to proceed. I wish I'd taken notice of the reviewer below and EMI/Virgin/Narada have joined Sony on my black list.
on 20 November 2005
For me, this is Susheela's most accessible and successful album to date. It is a mature piece, full of sensual production values, some profound lyrics with intense delivery(Chordhiya)and an overarching warmth to the whole. For me this is the perfect introduction to her work and one I will be buying for friends for a surprise christmas gift without having to worry,too much whether it will appeal to them, I'm sure it will. It has the perfect blend of accessible easiness on the ear yet with depth of feeling, originality and integrity.There is the usual mix of English and Indian lyrics and there is some fantastic, refreshing, musicianship from her band who also reach new heights. A perfect album for a lazy ,sunny afternoon, or an intimate party where you want a warm sensual atmosphere. Excellent at any time in fact. Buy it and be seduced.
on 13 January 2006
This is a better album than Love Trap, but not quite equal to Salt Rain. What lets this album down - is the production. There's a dreadful instrumental (Track 11) that is the musical equivalent to nails scraped down a blackboard. Play it at your peril. And there often tends to be an attitude of 'lets bung this sound in' without any thought of the context of a song. I recall even on Salt Rain - the sound of someone snoring at the very end of a track WHY? Really is a daft thing to do. It's annoying and distracting. But not enough to truly hide the stunning voice of Susheela Raman. I also think it's time her agents invested in a good lyricist. Some of the lyrics are truly cringe-making. Not to mention nicked from every cheesy pop song that was ever created.

The whole 'Copy Controlled' thing (you can stop reading now if you're not interested!). Pretty lousy thing for the record labels to do. Unfortunately they are legally allowed to. You only purchase a licence to play the music in the format of a CD. Course it's not showing much good will on their part, and I object to that as much as the next person. Especially for the average punter out there like me - who just wants to put it on their Zen to listen to for personal reasons. What is so short sited of the record labels is that people will eventually stop buying material they cannot put on players. They'll lose all that extra revenue from someone eg with line splitter playing music to a mate on the tube saying "this is great why don't you buy it". Also means in reality hackers and fraudsters will find ways around it. Then they will get no money at all. Not even from people downloading material legally. BA HUMBUG! I say to all you over bloated rich mean record labels. I think you may have just shot yourselves in the foot. I also feel sorry for the artists who will themselves suffer at the hands of fraudsters.
on 19 September 2006
This is by far Susheela's best album yet. Again she sings in different languages, namely Tamil, French and English, and the whole musical concoction this album offers has both a deeply moving and compelling effect on the listener, seducing you with it's smoky sounds and beats. Music For Crocodiles is one of my favourites with it's bold, exhilarating delivery rising to a pitch at the end. Meanwhile is an extremely provocative sexy track which just makes you want to dance. Sharvanna is a gorgeous soft mellow track which is evocative of other worlds, sensual and earthy and beautiful. In fact, all the tracks are brilliant. You cannot go wrong with this album, it is pure inspiration and genius personified. Buy it and love it.
on 21 November 2005
Encoding worries are in no way an excuse not to buy this significant album. It is for me simply the album of the year and a valuable contribution to the music world.
Susheela combines a soulful, jazzy voice with an eclectic mix of instruments and moving lyrics. I have never heard any artist who has such an abundance of effortless talent.
Sarah McLachlan, Norah Jones, Any Winehouse, Natalie Merchant - all fantastic artists - none of these even come close. That should put things into perspective.
Make sure you listen to this album, regardless of format.
on 25 October 2005
This is an excellent album from a stylish set of performers.
However, this pales into the background by the crass, and selfish actions of the record company and their use of copy controlled protection on the CD. This abusive technology stops me as a legitimate purchaser of the CD from:
1) Recording it to MP3 so that I can listen to it on a portable player while I'm out of the house.
2) Playing it in some of my CD players because they don't "recognise" the protection used on the disc.
3) Making a backup of the disk to another CD so that my children don't accidentally ruin it with jammy fingers.
4) Using a copy of it from my PC on network media players around the house.
This technology is an afront to honest people who legitimately buy music, wishing the artists to profit from their skill, imagination and creativity. I am not a criminal. I just want to be able to use what I've bought in the way that is best for me.
I shall not be buying any more CDs from EMI/Virgin/Narada in future, and I would urge all of you to do the same.
on 19 May 2016