Format: DVDChange
Price:£7.96+ £1.26 shipping

on 3 May 2010
Melinda returns to school as a social outcast. With no real friends and no one to talk to she finds it harder and harder to discuss her problems. Melinda was raped at a party and she keeps it a secret from everyone. Slowly but surely the secret is eating her up from the inside out. Trying to deal she takes a keen interest in her art project for school but with only herself locked away in her head she seeps deeper and deeper into depression.

Speak is an absolutely touching story about a girl who has been hurt but is unable to talk to people about it. This simply constructed movie has a powerful storyline that had me drawn in from the first five minutes. I also love the fact that there is no 'Hollywood trim' on this movie, it is just a story and that's what makes it so good.
Kristen Stewart played the role of Melinda beautifully, and I think this is the best movie I have seen her in.
Anyone who watches movies for their story and not for special effects and violence then this is a perfect choice.
I didn't actually realise that this was originally a book until I searched for the movie here on Amazon, and I plan on reading it as soon as possible.
on 5 January 2011
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS:- Allowing for the fact that Kristen Stewart was still a mere 14 year old when she completed this movie I'm surprised she didn't receive an award of the Highest Order for her performance in this film, Speak in which she plays a young girl in her first year of High School who ventures to a party with friends attended by dozens of young people, many older than her and finds herself being scooped-up and kissed by the boy that all the girls want to be kissed by? Being young,naive and sexually inexperienced she is taken advantage of by this savage who rapes her in a jeep in the grounds of the venue before walking away to leave the girl traumatised beyond belief,in pain both physically and mentally and unable to take in what has happened?
She stumbles back inside and manages to call the Police who attend but SHE is too upset and walks off without reporting the attack BUT is dubbed a grass by her so-called 'friends' for causing the party-break-up and at school is treated like a leper. Of course the fellow pupils don't know what really happened because SHE in turn has chosen to say nothing to anyone, including her parents who are seemingly far too wrapped-up in their own lives to notice a distinct change of personality in their daughter?
I don't want to give-away any more of what is a really fantastic story that had me feeling so sorry for the 'victim' and the way she was being treated by those around her even though she was bringing most of it on herself by saying nothing, but where was her evidence NOW? Director Jessica Sharzer did a good job and Cinematographer Andrij Parekh captured all the expressions in Stewarts eyes and Steve Zahns when he looks in the store room beautifully! A real treat.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 January 2011
Instantly one of my favourite films. Couldn't get this from highstreet stores, good price and very fast delivery, not sure if it was actually brand new, but it works perfectly well anyway. Would recommend.
on 6 July 2006
As a low budget and very unpublicised movie there is some injustice that more people won't get a chance to experience the quality acting, touching storyline and controversial subject matter dealt with in "Speak".

I can only say that if you really want to spend a few pounds on something this month or year then make this top of your list because it will not let you down.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2009
Well I had heard a lot about this movie I have read the book a few times and loved it so I thought I would give the movie a chance now I have heard alot of people slagging KStew's acting abilities and I just want to say I thought she did an amazing job! I really enjoyed the way the movie went yes it isnt a high budget job but I thought they did an amazing job with what they had I epically loved the relationship between Kristen Stewart & Steve Zahn! Would def recommend to all.Speak [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
on 10 January 2008
I was looking forward to watching this after enjoying books by Torey Hayden on people who are selectively mute. The blurb on the back of the dvd suggests that the main character is mute but she speaks all the way through the film so that was a bit odd. However the film is intense and the acting superb. Kristen Stewart really does teen angst well. I'd give it 4 1/2 out of 5.
on 5 July 2015
I loved this film. Some of it borders on clichèd views of post traumatic experience (reminding us that talking is therapeutic) but overall well worth the watch.
on 17 July 2015
I really like this, and think Kristen does a good job in it... understanding her character. Going to read the book as well :)
on 13 April 2013
I think that this is a great movie! A little gray and heavy but I still love it so much!
on 4 February 2015
Very happy with item and will purchase from seller in the future.