5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world
The marketing people soooo got the pitch of this movie wrong ...
I thought it was some schmaltzy Disney tale of a cute little Hawiian girl and her pet mouse! It actually turns out to be one of the funniest, most entertaining, original animated movies since Toy Story....
Published on 1 Jun 2004 by M. S. WILEY

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't clear it was the German version I had ordered
Yes you could change language to English but all the written references were still in German and it wasn't clear when ordering that it would be this version
Published 10 months ago by Mrs Susan Orledge

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world, 1 Jun 2004
M. S. WILEY "Sam" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lilo & Stitch [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
The marketing people soooo got the pitch of this movie wrong ...
I'd hate to give the plot away so I'll just say that it involves the story of the relationship between an alien who has been genetically engineered to be the most evil creature in the universe and consequently banished to earth by the Intergalactic Federation, and a 'problem' child with a penchant for Elvis Presley, who's about to be taken into care by social services, represented by an ex-gangsta called Bubbles! - Disney? NOT!!
There IS a strong moral overtone here, delivering the importance of the concept of 'family' (in the broadest sense tho', which I applaud) and it can verge on the sentimental for my taste (but hey, this is Disney); but the script, the gags, the characters, the comic timing and the animation are staggering. I laughed til I cried many times ... the script is by far the most adult I've heard in any of the recent animated movies which have aimed to give something to the grown-ups too - in fact I reckon most of the gags will go way over the head of your average kid, this film is every bit an adult comedy.
This really is a 'must own' DVD. An absolute classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unanticipated Forgotten Object crash lands in later Disney canon. Is actually good., 11 Dec 2007
kupocake (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lilo and Stitch (Special Edition) [DVD] (2002) (DVD)
After months of dust-collecting, I finally got round to watching Lilo & Stitch, a film reputed as the 'best of the rest' in the lesser-known corners of Disney's feature animation output. Whilst a reasonable financial success in 2002, and a big-name franchise for a modern Disney thought by many to be going steadily downhill, the film nevertheless passed many by and continues to do so. As a 2D feature, it lost the academy award to the brilliant 'Spirited Away', and lost many an audience member to a climate that was increasingly hostile towards 2D animation at the peak of Pixar and Dreamworks' success. As such it passed many by, and continues to do so.

Inevitably, this is unfair and Lilo & Stitch fully certainly deserves its reputation as the best of Disney's recent output, perhaps even as the best Disney movie since The Lion King. This is because Lilo & Stitch isn't as much about Stitch's causing havoc (though the 'Aladdin' level of humour/mayhem in this is certainly welcome, and consistently punchy) as it is about the family unit that forms around Stitch, Lilo and older sister / mother substitute Nani. Despite being pivotal I didn't know this family conflict was in the film when I sat down to watch it, and it surprised me with how emotionally engaging it was, ensuring that I was weepy one minute, laughing the next, a maturely managed roller-coaster of emotion.

Along with the beautiful Hawaiian setting, when marketing for the original film, Disney has downplayed this family theme and highlighted Stitch as a sort of alien Bart Simpson, a whirlwind of havoc with full "BOLD ITALIC UNDERLINE ALL-CAPS!" surf-boarding radicalness. Yawn. Disney originally created an interesting marketing campaign in which Stitch was seen as the antithesis to Disney classics like The Little Mermaid and The Lion King, but (clever as their alternate re-tellings of classic Disney moments were) after years of unsuccessful Disney productions they just served to cement the fact that Disney had changed to something unrecognisable.

And true, the film isn't a big-budget ani-musical and its Science Fiction setting basically a first in the Disney Animated Features Canon, but at its core is a sentimental and commendable message worth far more than the 'Saturday Morning Cartoon' treatment that Disney gave to Lilo and Stitch's promotional period. But of course, Disney weren't quite finished: because it DID become a Saturday Morning Cartoon, and it was subjected to as many Cheapquels as every other half successful Disney feature of the last 70 years and then some (and predictably, Stitch is the main focus of these stories, in full BOLD ITALIC UNDERLINE ALL-CAPS! glory). A shame that a decent idea should be recycled endlessly in this way, but frankly that's just the way Disney has been in this decade, and looks to remain if John Lasseter fails to turn them around...

So what of this 2-Disc DVD edition of Disney Animation's only 21st Century triumph? In a rare reversal of the norm, this 2-Disk edition has never seen a release in the US which is a shame for stateside Disney fans, because the second disk is great! So long as you don't expect impartiality (Disney documentaries typically make Chinese versions of 'What really happened at Tienanmen' look like a tear-drenched confession) you're in for a treat. The first disc contains the standard Disney DVD knick-knacks aimed primarily at kids: silly DVD games, a Disney-pedia feature on Hawaii and the obligatory inharmonious holocaust of some song or other by Disney's favourite regiment of audio assassins (The Mouseketeers aren't so called because their spiritual leader is a small, trouser wearing rodent, they've earned the name by violently filling DVD extras with enough cheese to stink out Cheddar gorge). There is an audio commentary which I haven't got round to hearing yet, but the second disk alone is enough for me to give a recommendation. Cleverly segmented into parts with optional 'footnotes' as you go along, the second disk is a comprehensive making-of adequately supplemented by material that all too often gets left off the disk despite being discussed in the documentary: complete deleted scenes, production sketches and scene / concept pitches are present. Particularly interesting are interviews with animation idols responsible for backgrounds in the first four Disney features, presented as supplements to detailed accounts of Lilo & Stitch's early development and unconventional use of watercolour backgrounds. The hours of content on these discs manage to put some of the more recent 'Platinum' editions to shame and are highly commendable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stitch Is The Best Ever, 8 Nov 2003
Donna (Illinois, America, originally from Russia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lilo & Stitch [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
From the first moment I saw a preview of the little blue alien on TV, I new this movie would be fantastic, and when I watched it, IT WAS BETTER! I cried and cried through the movie and when I remembered it. This movie touched me so much, I love it and they have made a second movie about it and a series on the Disney Channel. My friends know how much I love him. They give me all sorts of presents that are about Lilo and Stitch. I LOVE STITCH. This is the best animated movie I have ever seen. ITS SOOOO CUTE!!! Its sad, and very touching. (hey guess what, gantu has a poetic side! HAHAHA!) Anyways, this movie relates to me. My Ohana Is a lot like hers,the difference is my parents separated, my lil sis autistic. Its a havoc, not a family and I chose stitch to me my little fallen angel. We can be ABOMINATIONS together! YAY! hehehehahaha...Takka!

5.0 out of 5 stars a charming, odd little gem, 22 Jun 2009
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lilo and Stitch (Special Edition) [DVD] (2002) (DVD)
i absolutely adore animated films. especially when they are done right (as in NOT Madagascar or Shark Tale). Lilo and Stitch is one of those films i ignored for quite a long time. i couldn't see how it was going to be good. bookended in time between the dire Atlantis and the so-so Treasure Planet, i thought that a cutesy disney film about an alien rogue and a hawiaan girl would be, ya know, junk.
but by the time my collection of animation was near completion, it occured to me that i still had a few disney films left to add. one of those was Lilo and Stitch. i bought it cheap from Woolworths, just before it closed down, and when i finally saw it, i was struck by the films odd charms: the lush, but understated watercolour backgrounds; the wobbly, plump looking character designs (i found this endearing) and the mixture of quirky humour, sci-fi, family drama and... um... elvis presley.
in all honesty, and i won't go into plot details (because i'm sure that has already been covered), i feel that this is more in the vein of Hayao Miyazaki circa Kiki's Delivery Service in its tone and charm than it is disney at its most vintage. i think its their most likeably odd film, they don't look like they are trying to hard to be different (like they did in Atlantis, which is dire) and its quirky humour is just at odds with the companies heritage (no wise-cracking meercats and chirpy musical songs here). of course, i'm not saying that this could pass off for being, i don't know, a studio ghibli production. its just that it just feels to be that little bit too avante garde to truly convince as a disney classic. i think it is a classic, hence the five stars. its just lacking that disney feeling. which is cool, as i think that those who usually pass over disney animation for being to sentimntal will probably find something to adore here!
well, i won't write a review that goes on forever, but i hope that this review will prove helpful if you can't decide if you'll like this or not. this is a brilliant family film, and i'm sure everyone will enjoy it if they give it time to grow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Disney film in a long time!, 13 May 2003
Amazon Customer (Mossley, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lilo & Stitch [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Disney have really done themselves proud with this movie! We have seen it once a day practically since Mother's Day (it was MY present)! The children love it and the adults think it is entertaining too.
Disney has created some lovely charcters and I would certainly not be against a Lilo and Stitch 2!
A Disney collection is simply not complete without this film!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ohana means family, 23 Jun 2010
Bebopa Lula (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lilo and Stitch (Special Edition) [DVD] (2002) (DVD)
Stitch is a destructive alien experiment that crash lands on Earth. He soon strikes up a friendship with a troubled young Hawaiian girl called Lilo (well, actually he gets mistaken for a dog and she adops him from a rescue home!). Meanwhile Stitch's creator (Dr Jumba Jookiba) and another alien (Agent Pleakley) are sent to Earth to capture Stitch. Lilo is cared for by her big sister Nani (since their parents passed away) who really struggles to keep things together and eventually ends up under the watchful eye of a social worker (Cobra Bubbles) who informs Nani that Lilo will be taken into care if she doesn't step up her game. Stitch's aggressiveness and destructiveness (and also his mad attempts at escaping capture) begin to have a massive effect on Lilo and Nani's lives and things soon take a downward spiral.

This film is good fun for children aswell as adults. It has an enjoyable and unique storyline. I loved the way you didn't know how things were going to pan out and was particularly pleased with the ending.

I loved Lilo's fascination with Elvis and her attempts of modelling Stitch on him. I also love the fact that even though Lilo and Stitch were both quite awkward and troubled characters, they were very likeable at the same time. The relationship between Lilo and Nani was played out well too - it wasn't rosy but you could see how much love they had for each other.

I enjoyed seeing how Stitch coped after there was nothing left to destroy and how he started to wonder about his own 'Ohana'. It was nice to see the softer sides of many of the characters but I also enjoyed some of the 'action' scenes (which usually involved Stitch trying to escape capture). It's a real story of family and friendship.

Nani also has a love interest (a young man called David) who features heavily throughout the film and it was nice to see their relationship develop.

The animation is great and feels like a Disney film should (not that I have a problem with CGI but all Disney classics are hand drawn animation). I also like the fact that the majority of the film is set on a Hawaiian island which means lots of sand, sea, sun, hula skirts and hibiscus flowers - very refreshing! The soundtrack is also good and features lots of Elvis songs.

Lilo and Stitch is rated U which means it's suitable for all ages and has a running time of 82 minutes which is just about the right length in my opinion.

Extras on the DVD include a tour around the Hawaiian islands, a couple of music videos, a game to create your own alien, a hula lesson and trailers. The second disk includes the making of Lilo and Stitch, deleted scenes and still frame galleries. The extras are okay, but nothing special in my honest opinion.

I recommend this DVD to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film for kids and adults, 8 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Lilo & Stitch [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
Thanks to my two-year-old daughter, I've seen this film around 30 times so far so I thought I'd write a review !
Normally I'm Disneyphobic, as so often Disney manage to ruin classic stories with melodramatic characters, villains who must be killed at all costs, sarcastic americanisms and saccharinic endings. "Lilo and Stitch" is a total departure from this & has a totally original storyline, beautiful watercolour backgrounds and "real" characters that are more than one-dimensional.
Maybe this is all a bit over the top for a review of a cartoon, but the whole family really enjoyed this one. I won't give too much away about the story, since that's why you're buying this film, but it's a really charming tale with lots of laughs and a few tears for the adults, too. The soundtrack is great - lots of Elvis & hawaiian music (only let down by ultra-gimp Gareth Gates on the end titles). The characters are beautifully drawn and animated, and the backgrounds are lush and gorgeous like the hawaiian islands themselves. I was impressed with how much effort went into illustrating hawaiian culture, too.
Overall, I've managed to sit through this film many, many times & I'm still enjoying it. Disney has created a new style with this film & I hope they carry on - this is beautiful to look at, nice to listen to & with a really well-thought-out storyline.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Disney Classic, 2 Sep 2009
M. Kemsley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lilo and Stitch (Special Edition) [DVD] (2002) (DVD)
Our 5 year old was captivated by the Stitch show at Disneyland Paris and had not seen the film itself so on our return we purchased it for her. It has everything a family film needs, a good story that both children and adults can associate with, excellent animation and dialogue and laughs throughout. The special edition comes with the standard fare of additional content (making of, trailers, DVD games etc)but the price we paid was well worth it for the movie alone. We have now probebly seen this more times than I would like to count and it's still not got old. If you have not seen it and you enjoy a good animated movie, go buy it, worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable and charming Disney film <3, 5 Aug 2008
Gabbi (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lilo and Stitch (Special Edition) [DVD] (2002) (DVD)
This is my favourite Disney film, and in my opinion was the last great Disney animated masterpiece. The storyline might sound weird at first but it's very cute really, and the "Ohana" message throughout the film is really sweet and true. Nobody gets left behind or forgotten. The animation is wonderful (especially the watercolour backgrounds <3), the characters loveable and the music is just...perfect!

This is a must-have to your Disney DVD collection! =D

5.0 out of 5 stars Lilo & Stitch, 22 Jun 2003
This review is from: Lilo & Stitch [DVD] [2002] (DVD)
I watched this film recently and as an adult, LOVED IT! The animation was so good, I am sure the Hawaiian tourist board will benefit.
The characters are all great and Lilo & Stitch totally adorable. So there are lots of laughs to be had by watching this film for ALL ages.

Lilo and Stitch (Special Edition) [DVD] (2002)