5.0 out of 5 stars Proclaim the good news
I'm often suspect of reviews on Amazon. Clearly written by fans , they are biased , regardless od whether output is any good or not.
I'd be happy to criticise 'Restless Soul' if I could but I can't.
Published on 7 Sept. 2005 by rik457

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good - sometimes great, but doesn't quite spark for me,
Published on 12 Jan. 2013 by Torpedo Bob

5.0 out of 5 stars Proclaim the good news, 7 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Restless Soul (Audio CD)
I'd be happy to criticise 'Restless Soul' if I could but I can't.
It's 14 tracks of lyrical and musical quality par excellence. This is by far their most accessible album , with something here for everyone. From the opening , heart wrenching but toe tapping , 'When Love Struck You Down' , to 'One More Down' , they take us through all of lifes journeys ; Relationship breakdowns , the joys of an odd tipple , personal loss and the joie de vivre.
The Reids are the roses amongst thorns in the music world today. Bored of The Proclaimers , and you're bored of life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let Charlie and Craig sink in...., 17 Aug. 2005
This is a grower.
Less rocky than its predecessor 'Born Innocent', this album sees the boys experimenting with more diverse instrumentation, with pretty juicy production that results in every song having its appeal in a different way.
Some songs are gradual starters, but I didn't write them off. The unmistakable emotion and spirit of C&C's vocals really drive them, whether its crisp, top-of-their voice harmonies or thoughtful, fragile melodies.
I like this album becasue I like the Proclaimers as artists. I like it even more now because after a few listens, it's more adventurous than what's gone before, and cracks the mould even further that C&C are just a pair of 'acoustic' singer songwriters.
The last track (One more down) was in my head for about two days. And it didn't bother me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Restless Soul, 22 Jan. 2006
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Restless Soul (Audio CD)
It’s been quite a while since I’ve listened to an album by any artist and found myself repeatedly playing it over and over again. The Reid brothers are on fine form in this, their sixth studio album, with a really really good selection of bouncing tracks, excellent harmonies and top-notch arrangements.
It really is an album where on your first listen you’ll already be picking out the tracks that really appeal and almost immediately they’ll become firm favourites and have a real familiarity about them.
The album kicks off with “When Love Struck you Down” a great rocking sing-along with a fantastic organ line. The upbeat tempo is continued into the title track “Restless Soul” before things slow down with the mean and moody “Turning Away”.
Next is one of my favourite songs, “I’m Gone”, not only for it’s lovely swinging melody but also for the fantastic imagery the lyrics produce. “He’s such a physician, his fingers are warm” – What a fantastic way to describe a glass of whisky.
The gentle lullaby of “That’s better now” moves into the stomping rhythms of “Everyday I Try” before things are once again slowed down with the piano led “He just can’t” a really moving and poignant song of lost loves. Craig’s wailing harmonica comes into its own in the next track, “Bound for you Love”.
Without mentioning every track I must just finished by giving plaudits to two of the final tracks, “She’s Brighter” with its amazing harmonies and the fantastic “D.I.Y” with its upbeat rhythm and bouncing lyrics.
All in all this is a really excellent album, even from the Reid brothers and their generally superb output this is a real standout. Not just fans of The Proclaimers but anyone who appreciates folk, rhythm and blues, rockabilly etc etc should really give this a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical genius, 27 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Restless Soul (Audio CD)
From the first track to the last this is a wonderful experience, if anyone out there hasn't heard a Proclaimers album this is a great place to start. Thanks to Craig and Charlie (and the band) for giving us a treat to listen to!

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good - sometimes great, but doesn't quite spark for me,, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Restless Soul (Audio CD)
Let's be honest - for many years, my Proclaimers collection has consisted of the first two albums, which I rank as pure genius - somehow it didn't seem plausible that they could ever hit those heights again. So, it was with some interest that I finally purchased 2009's "Notes and Rhymes" and this earlier one, "Restless Soul". I played N&R first - and was completely won over. The boys still have it after all! Then I put on Restless Soul. It's good - dont get me wrong, and maybe it's a grower - but I have heard it 3 times now, and keep wanting to put Notes and Rhymes back on. "He Just Can't" is indeed The Proclaimers at their quirky ingenious best, "One More Down" gives the end of an album a wonderfully enjoyable crescendo - and many of the songs are decent enough songs. But there is no real classic ballad, and most of the up-tempo numbers just don't quite have that special Proclaimers sound. "Turning Away" and "I'm Gone" get close - the first two songs are solid - but in The Proclaimers I look for that mixture of creativity, joy, beautiful songs, up-tempo quirkiness and a "rock 'n roll attitutude" - and in my view at least, there are albums of theirs which do it better than this. I listen to some of the later tracks waiting for the album to end, so I can put their other albums back on.

Anyway - let's not end on a downer, it is still FAR superior to most other music - and the guys are still Gods!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Brilliance, 16 Feb. 2007
Livi Crazy (Livingston, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Restless Soul (Audio CD)
I'm a big Proclaimers fan and bought this as soon as it came out. t's by far their best album to date.

They move away from their traditional shouty like singing to a softer singing style, though this doesnt mean they have gone away from their roots.

"Restless Soul" (Probably their most memorable song to date), "DIY", "Turning Away" and "When Love Struck You Down" are three of the catchiest songs I have ever heard, with some clever lyrics.

All the songs on it like many of their previous songs are thought provoking.

"Now and Then" appears to carry on thoughts from their earlier song on the album Persevere, "Act of Rememberance".

And what is refreshing to know is that their is no use of fancy electronic tampering, just good old fashioned Proclaimers singing.

Zac Ware's skills on the guitar are really brought to light in this album as you hear some fantastic solo's throughout the album.

An album well worth purchasing as it explores a wide range of styles and has some deep meaning in many of its songs, listening to the lyrics is key.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Proclaimers, 3 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Restless Soul (Audio CD)
This album is definitely worth buying, it is classic Proclaimers only slightly better, and as said previously it grows on you with every listen. There are no "mega hits" on here but neither are there any bad tracks.
Anybody who writes this off as rubbish was surely expecting an album full of songs like 500 miles and Letter from America, but you will get what you pay for, an album of Classic Proclaimers tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on Form, 30 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Restless Soul (Audio CD)
Restless souls is a masterpiece from Craig and Charlie. A lot of their early country influence flows through the album. This takes you on a journey from the first beat to the last. It has the classic proclaimers sing a longs as well as the thought provoking and moving ballads, sung as only they can.
If this is your first experience of the proclaimers it will have you hooked. If you are already a fan (like me), you just grow with each album. Sit back, put it on and listen to music as it should be performed. Top class

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2014
Tartanundies (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Restless Soul (Audio CD)
Fantastic album from the boys from Leith!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Sept. 2014
really liked this album

Restless Soul
Restless Soul by Proclaimers (Audio CD - 2005)