5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - but don't take on an empty stomach
I have a sweet tooth - its so bad that I wake up craving chocolate. I now have none at all - not a reduced one, none its amazing! be careful to only take when eating - I take with my breakfast and if I take without food I feel a bit of nausea.
Published on 10 Mar. 2011 by claire

1.0 out of 5 stars get ionic
Once I learned that ionic minerals are the only ones that are water soluble in our water-based bodies, I threw all my zinc tablets out and took liquid ionic zinc, but only for a few months. The minerals we put in our bodies must be water soluble to be absorbed and utilised.

Published 5 months ago by D&D

1.0 out of 5 stars get ionic, 8 Dec. 2014
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Solgar Zinc 50 mg 100 tabs (Personal Care)

With any vitamin or mineral that is water-soluble and therefore easily excreted, the body can tolerate fairly large amounts. However, synthetic supplements only work short-term while there is a longer-term cost to the body, as explained in "Supplements Exposed" and also "The Calcium Lie II".

Ignore those warnings that you should always supplement with copper when you take zinc, because most of us have copper overload - as explained in the book "Why Am I Always So Tired". Researchers found that oral zinc increased excretion of copper threefold in schizophrenics, and adding manganese increased it even more. Some people with thyroid issues have experienced racing heart and extreme fatigue when zinc detoxes copper.

Signs of zinc deficiency include white areas in the fingernails, stretch marks on the skin, growing pains in childhood, severe PMS, very pale skin, slow wound healing (but PMS and slow healing are also symptoms of underactive thyroid and of adrenal dysfunction); also hearing loss in the aging and loss of taste and sense of smell. One study warned that zinc supplements taken with milk (and presumably milk products like yoghurt) were not absorbed.

In "Orthomolecular Medicine for Everyone", Dr Hoffer writes: No known diseases are associated with above-normal zinc levels but more than 2 g (2,000 mg) per day can be harmful. Fortunately, there is no clinical need for such large doses. The largest dose used clinically was 220 mg, taken three times per day, for arthritis. At this dose, it may cause diarrhea.

Zinc is an immune-system booster and ensures that your body stays healthy - it's also important for eye health, especially in those with macular degeneration (see the AREDS and AREDS2 studies). According to an article in "Nature Chemical Biology 2013;doi: 10.1038/nchembio.1382: Scientists have finally discovered how zinc works, even against some of the deadliest bacteria that cause meningitis and pneumonia. Zinc, an essential mineral, starves the bacteria by blocking its ability to scavenge for manganese in the body, which weakens it.

Scientists at the University of Adelaide have observed the way that zinc interplays with one of the deadliest bacteria, Streptococcus pneumoniae, which kills more than one million people a year by causing pneumonia, meningitis, and other serious infectious diseases. The bacteria need to feed off manganese, an essential metal, in order to thrive and attack the body. Zinc interferes with that process, and stops manganese reaching the bacteria.

Zinc is antagonistic to cadmium; selenium decreases toxicity of cadmium and mercury; zinc and manganese help bring copper levels down. Zinc will also reduce absorption of iron. Zinc is often used in combination with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) to reduce high serum (blood) copper levels. Pregnancy, Hodgkin's disease, oral contraceptives, infections, and leukemia, increase the ratio of copper over zinc. The diet that has been pushed for decades - high-carb/low-fat - also makes the copper overload worse (and, it turns out, contributes to diabetes and many other health problems - how did such a diet ever catch on?!).

Vitamin E doesn't work without zinc and manganese, and it's enhanced by selenium (but treponemas, the spirochete-type bacteria in dental abscesses, feed on selenium, so caution is suggested). Also, both manganese and zinc are needed for healthy bones, in addition to magnesium (calcium in fact, is not the most important mineral for bones).

After a few months on liquid ionic zinc, I moved to unrefined sea salt (Celtic sea salt is one). The book "The Calcium Lie II" explains that our foods don't contain the minerals they once did because of mineral-depleted soil and lack of vine ripening. Fortunately, our oceans and salt beds contain all of the minerals and trace minerals we need to be in perfect health.

The vast majority of us aren't getting those minerals in the proper proportions, so we're compromising not only our bones and joints, but also our entire well-being. True sea salt and rock salt contain all of the minerals in the exact proportion that our bodies require. Quite simply, these minerals are necessary for every single body function to work: biochemical, electrical, chemical and physiological.

"The Calcium Lie II" also explains that using refined table salt leaves valuable minerals and trace minerals out of our diet. We need more than iodised salt and calcium for good health and strong bones. By contrast, unrefined, unprocessed sea salt has 76 ionising essential and trace minerals, ranging from the commonly known calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium to the more esoteric chromium, manganese, selenium and copper, to the more rare trace minerals like lithium, rubidium, cobalt, germanium and molybdenum, to name a few.

P.S. I've recently learned that organic meat is the best source of natural zinc and magnesium - see "Deep Nutrition" by Dr Shanahan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing - but don't take on an empty stomach, 10 Mar. 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars didn't work for me, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Solgar Zinc 50 mg 100 tabs (Personal Care)
I took this for about a month and didn't notice any change in my skin, I also had to make sure I took it after a big meal as otherwise it made me feel very sick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solgar sell the good stuff., 6 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Solgar Zinc 50 mg 100 tabs (Personal Care)
Being a male the wrong side of sixty Zinc is an almost necessary must. Most firms sell 15 mg rubbish. Solgar sell the good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for clearing skin, 22 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Solgar Zinc 50 mg 100 tabs (Personal Care)
This improved my skin so much, I've suffered from acne for years and after a month of taking zinc everyday I saw good results and friends and family noticed as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps clear my acne and spots. 4 stars because ..., 11 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Solgar Zinc 50 mg 100 tabs (Personal Care)
Helps clear my acne and spots. 4 stars because it sometimes makes me feel nauseated unlike other zinc tablets I've taken.

5.0 out of 5 stars Health benefits, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Solgar Zinc 50 mg 100 tabs (Personal Care)
Excellent product at an excellent price. This is a mineral that so many are deficient in. Have found this to be what I personally need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Solgar Zinc 50 mg 100 tabs (Personal Care)
These arrived promptly and undamaged. They worked perfectly fine. I'm yet to grow a third leg or a tumour or anything, so I assume that means the pills are okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 14 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Solgar Zinc 50 mg 100 tabs (Personal Care)
Good quality.Arrive very quickly,very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for strengthening nails, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Solgar Zinc 50 mg 100 tabs (Personal Care)
I needed something for my nails which were splitting. This has worked and nails are growing longer and stronger now.

Solgar Zinc 50 mg 100 tabs