on 5 December 2005
I bought this DVD for one track/video: the remarkable and genuinely moving Hurt by Johnny Cash (a cover of a Nine Inch Nails track). It is a fantastic song and a fantastic video, made all the more poignant by the fact it was made so close to the end of his life. Believe the hype, it does transcend the genre. It is worth the price of the DVD on its own.
For me it is a bonus that this DVD includes a number of other fantastic videos. Romanek is a very innovative director and has made some very interesting videos with a wide range of interesting artists including the excellent Jay-Z track, 99 problems, the brilliant Fiona Apple track Criminal (which makes most other attempts at being a bad girl seem pitiful); the classic En Vogue Free Your Mind video.
Note that Romanek also directed the interesting movie, One Hour Photo, but this DVD concentrates on his music videos.
As the Amazon description does not provide a full track list, one is included here:
• Jay-Z: 99 Problems (Director’s Cut)
• Linkin Park: Faint
• Red Hot Chilli Peppers: Can’t Stop
• Johnny Cash: Hurt
• Audioslace: Conchise (Director’s Cut)
• No Doubt: Hella Good (Director’s Cut)
• Mick Jagger: God Gave Me Everything
• Janet Jackson: Got ‘til It’s Gone
• Fiona Apple: Criminal
• Nine Inch Nails: Perfect Drug
• Beck: Devil’s Haircut
• Weezer: El Scorcho (Director’s Cut)
• Eels: Novocaine for the Soul
• Sonic Youth: Little Trouble Girl
• Michael & Janet Jackson: Scream (Director’s Cut)
• Madonna: Bedtime Story
• R.E.M.: Strange Currencies
• G. Love & Special Sauce: Cold Beverage
• Nine Inch Nails: Closer (Director’s Cut)
• David Bowie: Jump They Say
• Madonna: Rain
• Lenny Kravitz: Are You Gonna Go My Way
• Keith Richards: Wicked as it Seems (Director’s Cut)
• En Vogue: Free Your Mind
• Kd lang: Constant Craving
The DVD also includes a documentary (really just a bunch of celebrities talking about Romanek and his work) and commentary about each video. The commentary is of mixed quality: there are some very interesting bits although it does occasionally veer towards the cringe making.
Overall, a very interesting offering.