Elixir 92/8 Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Sets Ultra-Thin Nanoweb Coating - Light (0.012 - 0.053)
Size: 16052 Light (12-53)Colour Name: 1 PackChange
Price:£13.67+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 11 February 2011
Here are some truths about strings in general: all guitarists have their own taste when it comes to string tone, and different people like different things. Different guitars, too, mean that the same type of string can sound different from one instrument to another, and so it's only really possible to make general recommendations about them regarding the sound. Other qualities, however, (manufacturing standards, longevity, consistency...) can be commented on more clearly but still only with reference to an individual's experience, which may differ from the experiences of others.

With this is mind, here's what I think.

I've been a working musician for ten years. I've tried most of the leading string brands available to acoustic players in the UK, and right now I think these phosphor bronze Elixirs are pretty much unbeatable. The old coating was rubbish, as were the old bronze strings without the phosphor in, but these, with the thinner coating and different alloy, are ACE. The tone is something you'll have to decide upon for yourself, but I find them rich, balanced, with a sweet harmonic brightness and no heavy points in their range. They're 95% as sweet and true as the (rightly very popular) uncoated D'Addario phosphor bronze in terms of tone, sweeter and brighter than the coated D'Addario EXPs (although EXPs are better now than they've ever been - give them a go some time), and here's the big point of them; they hold the tone for an AGE.

Don't be misled - if for some reason you don't like the tone when you put them on, you never will. They break every bit as easily as any other string. They're every bit as likely to fail due to manufacturing fault - no better, no worse. BUT those things are true of ALL strings, and if you don't beat them to snapping point with hamfisted technique (brutal strummers don't waste your money - you're not going to get any string to last with those heavy hands, might as well buy good uncoated ones you can replace individually) then you'll get, as it says on the box, at least 3 to 5 times the life span out of these than you would from uncoated strings before they start to sound worn and dull, probably more. And that is the point. I've actually repaired broken Elixirs when they snap at the bridge by retying them to the ball-end and pulling the untrimmed string down through the tuning peg, and they still sound sweet enough to get away with.

So overall: coated strings may not be for you (expensive, break just as easily as uncoated, ARE NOT SOLD SINGLY remember), but if you want excellent tone that lasts then you can't do better than these.

P.S. The one time in all those years I had a new string fail as I was tuning it up, I emailed a picture of it to Elixir directly and they replied within two days, apologised and sent me a new string and some daft little free bits and pieces - polishing cloth, plectrum and what have you. Nice customer service touch from an excellent company.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

With this is mind, here's what I think.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

on 18 June 2011
Look, forget the cost, think about the value.
Let's talk about durability:
* I've been playing for forty years, I'm a clawhammer picker and I pick pretty hard on the bluesey, ragtimey numbers; I use banjo picks a lot of the time - Dunlop nickel-plated finger picks and a Dunlop medium thumbpick. Now these are hard on strings but I've found that the Elixirs wear far better than any other string I've ever tried and the coating doesn't fray off - well, not until the strings are shagged out anyway and tat'll be way beyond the demise of other brands.
* So do they break? Basically, nope. Since I started using Elixirs about five years ago I've had exactly one break during a gig - and that's over ehmm... I don't know how many gigs. And we do a few numbers where the emphasis is on beating a hard rhythm rather than fancy-boy pickin'.
* Who are these tossers that recommend boiling shagged out strings and putting them back on? Get a life. One of the benefits of coated strings, especially if you're a tight-wad and expect to get years out of one set is that the wound strings don't gunk up like non-coated strings and the wire top E and B don't corrode. Net result is... I don't have to change strings half as often as I used to. Do the cost-of-ownership sums for yourself but I guarantee you'll spend less money on strings.

OK, the important stuff - what about tone? Aren't coated strings duller?
* Bollocks. I now use these on all my acoustic guitars: Taylor, 30-year-old Yamaha flat-top etc and I get a nice clear, ringing top end and a big fat resonant bass at the bottom end. Hit a bass E, go and put the kettle on, make a cup of tea, come back and it's still ringing; and that'll be with strings a few weeks old. Loud too.

Do they tune up?
* Yup. I've never known strings to retain their tuning for so long. I'm a tune-aholic and it's cause by years of crap strings but now when I go to check 'em half an hour or an hour into the gig (listen, forty years of amplification and you'll be half deaf too) they're still bang on and the only drift in pitch that I'm picking up is me pushing the string to hard. I can take the guitar out the case after a week and they're still bang on - assuming we haven't had a heatwave.
Here's another thing: I used to use 12s rather than 11s but I now find that these Elixir 11s bend really nicely without too much finger slicing and they pop back into tune every time - provided you know how to tune up for tone bends in the first place. And no loss of volume.

Start using Elixirs, it's a one-way trip; you won't use nothin' else.
on 11 May 2010
I recently bought these strings to replace some old elixirs which had lasted me over a year on my acoustic guitar. This item arrived within a week and playing on them now makes me glad that I splashed out an extra few pounds on these strings. I find them a joy to play on, they are easy on the fingers and provide a fantastic, crisp and clear sound. In my experience they do last a long time and it saves buying several replacements string sets.
All in all a fantastic buy.

Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb Acoustic Guitar Strings12-56 LTHB
on 25 November 2011
Been usuing Elxir strings for over 5 years now, used to love 'roto sound'. I believe you can't get better for long lasting tone and brightness.
I would normally change my strings at least once every 3 months (on 3 acoustics including a 12 string - used to get expensive!), but I have actually left a set of these elixir strings on for a whole year and they still sound ok, though obviously not as new! No rust or dirt. They are great.
They are not unbreakable, but last longer tone and brightness wise - never looked back - highly recommend.
on 6 October 2014
I have a couple of rather nice Taylor guitars and I use these strings on both. They keep their new string tone longer than any others I have tried. They hold their tuning too ( inasmuch as the strings play any part in that) and if you wipe them down after each use they seem to last forever. They might seem to be pricey perhaps compared to other makes but they do last and so in the long run I think they are great value for money.
on 14 May 2014
I've been a guitarist for over 25 years. I find these strings to nothing short of bloody awsum...
If you have not tried these, of have in the past tried the polyweb version of these strings that lack tone because of the manner in which they were coated then you WILL be impressed.
They last virtually forever. In the past I would change my string when they became to dull and corroded, not I simply wait until they eventually snap through use, I play my guitar as hard and loud as possible and they will still last me over 6 months, I even like the slight change in tone you start to get when you start to wear through the nanoweb coating, although if you play with a pick (like I don't) then you can go through the coating with fairly quickly, but this is not the end of the world. the fret boar end will still survive and feel smooth for a long long time.
If I could give 6 stars I would, frankly I would kiss the man that invented these......

See one answered question