5.0 out of 5 stars Casgliad Ardderchog, 5 May 2006
This review is from: Welsh Rare Beat (Audio CD)
What a wonderfully eclectic collection of gems from the vaults of Cwmni Sain. This CD brought back such great memories with tracks by Y Dyniadon Ynfyd Hirfelyn Tesog, Edward H., and Tebot Piws. But the main reason I bought this CD was for Tich Gwilym's unforgettable version of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. Cysga'n dawel Tich.

5.0 out of 5 stars 70s Encapsulated, 20 Jan 2011
This review is from: Welsh Rare Beat (Audio CD)
As an English white upper middle class male, albeit with an ecletic taste in music forged by John Peel, I didn't expect this album to be quite so good as it is. What first struck me, expecting Anrefn type underground production, is how professional this all sounds. Take any 70s compilation of English hits and this equals it if not superseeds it. I'm very particular about what makes it onto my iPod, but every track qualifies. OK, for a mass audience, you have to get over the fact it is sung in Welsh (and a lot of it may be slagging off people like me) but it is just superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, 11 Sep 2007
Sophia lolley-pogson (Welshpool, Powys United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welsh Rare Beat (Audio CD)
I adore this album, and if I were on a desert island, I'd take it with me. It's a fantastic mixture of funky and folk, but combined beautifully, so, even though a few of the tracks aren't quite my cup of tea, as a whole, the album is perfect. Lots of the songs are quite basic, but I love that, they're quite raw and atomospheric, and yet the harmonies are incredible. And, the sad, dreadfully sad thing is that some of the artistes are unknown. Infact, my favourite track of the album, Blodeuwedd is by an unknown artiste.
It's a fine buy and an even finer listen. I'm eager for welsh rare beat 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hiraeth......, 31 Jan 2007
Leighton J. Williams (Swansea, U.K. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welsh Rare Beat (Audio CD)
I only speak pidgeon welsh (for political reasons which I will not elaborate on here) but I absolutly love this - brings tears to my eyes as a welshman - you can feel the passion of the welsh people, the deep, rich culture has a searching quality which comes through in the music. Y Gwylwyr (By Bran), is awesome couldn't stop playing it for days!!.

Get this if you welsh - Tracksuit wearers take note there is more to welsh culture than Bongs and Man Utd!!

Welsh Rare Beat
Welsh Rare Beat by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2005)