5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better and better, 22 Nov. 2004
Due South really hit its stride in this, its second series. Benefiting from sharper writing, more intricate characterisation and several wonderful sub-plots that run throughout the entire 18 episodes, it's a shame that the show never achieved the success it so richly deserved. This is classic television with all the humour, pathos and morality you could desire, and which is often lacking on our screens today. The second season was also, sadly, the last season in which the original - and best - cast would star together. Ray Vecchio (the marvellous David Marciano) would be missing from the third and final season but for a last-episode cameo, along with the magical chemistry between his cynical cop and Fraser's honest Mountie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very fun action/comedy; this version of dvd is great!, 2 Jan. 2006
Olivia (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Due South: Season 2 [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
Hi everyone! I just wanted to express my thoughts on the TV show "Due South" and this version of it on dvd.
SIDE NOTE: You all will probably need the Region 2 version, and that is coming out January 2006 as I saw on your site. So just in case you somehow are interested in Region 1, here's my input!
First of all, the packaging is very nice. The discs stay inside the package securely, and there's no risk of scratching. That is, if you buy it from a store. (Try Best Buy, Borders and Books, etc). Shipping through mail: I don't know. The sets have just the episodes. I heard the International version is a lot more expensive, and the only extra featres you get are subtitles and a commentary on one episode or something. So this version is more worth it. The picture and audio are very clear.
Second of all, the U.S. had only three seasons of the show, so if you get this version, there is only three season sets (with all episodes). In Canada, the third season was split into two, thus the third and fourth season on the International version dvds.
And finally, my commentary on the show. Unfortunately, I was a little young when the episodes aired and I didn't know about the show. A few years later, I catch it on syndication and grow to *love* it! You probably know its about a Mountie and a Chicago cop. The first two seasons starred Paul Gross and David Marciano. Then, Marciano left and Callum Keith Rennie replaced him as the detective. It really plays on the differences between Canadians and Americans, while combining action, comedy, and a lot of heart. I completely recommend it.
Greetings from Canada!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 28 May 2007
C. Dunlop "DrPhibes" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I loved this series the first time it was shown on the BBC in the 90s. My favourite episode has to be North the relationship between Ray and Benny is fantastic. Never liked seasons 3 and 4 could never get used to the new Ray. However this season 2 box set is a bit pricey considering season 1 is under £20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch, 10 Aug. 2005
Thankfully lacking the technical problems that make the Season 1 boxset so painful to watch, you can enjoy Season 2 in all its glory. Having switched directions a few times early in Season 1 (from semi-serious in the pilot, to more straight adventure early in season 1, and later more focus on character), by the opening of Season 2 the style is more settled. The interplay between Fraser and Vecchio is now the staple of most stories, but the series had also embraced a surreal quality as well, with Fraser's dead father making regular appearances! We are also treated to more frequent appearances from the wonderful Ramona Milano, which is a bonus. The mixture of humour, warmth and occasional pathos make this a great series at its peak, before season 3 started to wander too much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Entertainment, 27 Nov. 2009
M. J. Theobald (Swindon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Due South - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I remember that I first caught this programme on Paramount Comedy channel. For five minutes or so I wasn't sure what it was all about. Detective, comedy, thriller... The series was part way through so I hoped there'd be a repeat. A few months later there was and I watched the pilot and was hooked.
Was it a comedy or a thriller or a detective show; well actually, all three. I've been hooked ever since.
The characters are well acted in the first two series. Paul Gross as Benton Frasier the Mountie, takes the stereotype Canandian Mounted Policeman and makes you believe in the Candanian ethos of good manners. This, along with the 'always gets their man', his knowlegde of virtually everything adds to the comedy.
Then there's diametrically opposed American counterpart, Ray Vecchio, who throughout is often frustrated by Benton's manners and methodology in solving crimes; preferring a more direct, rough and ready approach.

I've bought the third series, which I only saw a few episodes of when it was first aired and my memory suggests it got a little more serious and less fun. My memory might be wrong, I'll soon find out.

Anyway, I recommend Due South on the basis it is good entertainment, has a sense of morality which isn't 'in-your-face', and has one of the best wolf's (dogs) on the box, who gets a few laughs himself when Benton talks things over with him...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant follow on from season 1, 2 Sept. 2006
jaibee (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Season 2 of Due South sees the Benton and Ray forge an even closer partnership. The series is full of strong stories, good music and fine humour. Listen to the dialogue carefully and you will see just how clever Due South is. Sadly this is the last season that David Marciano appears as Ray as due to changes to his contract meant he was unable to reprise his role in the delayed season 3.

It is a shame that Amazon's blurb is so wrong. Ray Kowalski appears in season 3 not 2, and it is Benton that comes from the North (Canada) not Ray giving rise to plenty of (friendly) digs about Canadians.

5.0 out of 5 stars Due South 2 Great, 17 Aug. 2013
Due South is, was and will always be a great TV series for a lot of reasons. Firstly is funny, thought provoking and brilliant. Bentan Fraser, a Mountie, a RCMP officer (RCMP Royal Canadian Mounted Police). Fraser is kind, courteous, courageous and implacable in pursuit of a malfeasant.

One of the reasons I love Due South is because Bentan is courteous to everyone. This reminds me just how people behaved when I was a child, things have changed in the last fifty years. Now-a-day's people seem to be quite happy to allow doors to slam in other peoples faces. To cut in front and not say excuse me or say, after you.

Its nice to think the Mountie is out battling for the coutieus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Due South Series 2, 9 Feb. 2010
M. K. Gillespie (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Due South - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
If you've seen series one and can't wait for series 2, then don't wait! Grab this series with both hands and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - Roll on Series Three, 7 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Due South - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
As good as I remember so now onto Series Three. I didn't get this far when it was on TV and I believe Ray's character leaves so I will have to reserve judgement although I pity the actor who has to take his place given the rapport between Ray and Benton!! Definitely worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saddle up your travelling shoes and get ready to head Due South, 11 Feb. 2011
The Reviewer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Due South - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Due South series 2 continues the adventures of Constable Benton Frazer in Chicago - and succeeds once again in delivering plenty of humour and entertainment. It also contains, what I believe to be, the best episode of the entire show's run. Well worth a purchase.