Price:£31.80+ Free shipping

VINE VOICEon 17 January 2009
This kit comes with a Cokin P Series filter holder and three ND Graduated Filters (ND2, ND4, ND8). The filter holder supports lenses with a filter diameter up to 82mm, and attaches to the lens using an adaptor ring that you have to purchase separately, but they're not expensive (e.g. 72MM ADAPTOR-P472). This is a nice system, because you only have to buy a new adaptor ring if you want to use your filters on a different sized lens.

The adaptor ring slides and clips into the filter holder securely, but is easy to take off again if you need to. Once in place, the whole assembly can be rotated about the adptor ring, allowing you to adjust the orientation of the filter once the whole thing is mounted onto your lens. This is of course important for a graduated filter, and vital if the front of your lense rotates when focussing (thankfully mine rotates internally, so this isn't a problem for me).

The filter holder comes with three slots, although only 2 of them seem designed to hold filters (I'm not sure what the middle slot is for - the instructions don't say). Anyway, this allows you to stack up filters if you need to.

Each of the supplied filters is a rectangular piece of glass, and come supplied in a sturdy plastic case. The filters slide into the holder and pressure clamps in the holder hold them securely in place. This allows the filter to be slid up/down to exactly the position you want - a vital feature when using graduated filters given that the position of your horizon may vary from picture to picture.

This is a well designed product, and good value for money given that it comes bundled with three filters. Having got the filter holder and adaptor you can of course add different filters to your set individually. Cokin makes nearly 200 different types of filter which are compatible with the P series mount - the supplied catalogue and index card details them all.

So overall I'm very pleased with my purchase. Initially I was slightly worried about the size of the filter holder when mounted onto the lense, but having used the system I can see the benefits (in particular being able to stack filters, and to adjust filter position precisely). This is a worthwhile investment if you take your photography seriously.

Note: on lenses wider than about 20mm the filter holder will start to show up in the edges of the frame - to remedy this you need to buy a wide-angle filter holder instead.
11 comment|214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2013
Superb value kit for someone starting out in landscape photography and doesn't want to break the bank on the more expensive Lee system. The Cokin kit along with P-series filters do the job just fine if, like me, you are an amateur/enthusiast photographer who likes taking high quality images without the need for that final 5% for which you would pay 5 times more. The Lee system is undoubtedly more versatile with a wider range of compatible filters but if you are the type who uses lightroom then anything extra the Lee system may give you could probably be achieved in post-processing.
on 13 June 2012
Great set of ND filters at a reasonably cheap price. P system holder is good and convienent, working well. However drawbacks are when using wide angle lenses (20mm equiv or below) you will get cut off, and beware sun flare off the filters into the lens. Also rain spots DO show up despite proximity to lens, so take all usual precautions. Otherwise, used sensibly, excellent.
on 14 November 2010
Fantastic kit to use if you want to get all the items for a cheaper price together. Make sure you buy the filter adapter for your lens which you need to get SEPARATELY. Avoid disappointment and get it at the same time as you do need it to use the kit.
on 2 June 2012
Having spent some time considering which filter system I should buy, I finally opted for this kit. It's affordable, easy to use and, according to what I've read online, can also use Hitech filters which is a bonus.

I can't wait to start expanding my collection of filters now!

If you're in any doubt about buying this, don't be. It's worth the money.
on 20 November 2010
I think the filters are great, and it's become a mandatory requirement to use these filters for landscapes where ever i am.

Only reason it is not 5 stars is because you see the edges of the ND grad between 10-12mm on the 10-20mm siggy. It's not a huge concern for me as i usually prefer to keep my siggy between 13-14mm anyway, but it's worth noting for those who want to shoot wide angle.
on 23 September 2010
These are great as a start to ND filters and perfect for shooting landscape. When you need darker than the darkest filter, just pair them up and at a maximum use all three. However, whilst these are supposed to be a neutral colour, there is a slight purple hue which is only noticeable when you do pair them up. When you use individual filters, the darker part just gets darker, nothing else. The lightest filter is perhaps a little too light and I dont find myself using it as much as the other two (sunsets mainly and hills with light behind).

In summary, a very good purchase for the money and a good start for the advanced amateur.
on 12 August 2009
Great selection of filters and brilliant results with my summer shots.

If you own a Sigma 10-20 wideangle beast - then avoid this and get yourself the wideangle version. That explains why it's only 4-stars for me. Otherwise, great value for money.
on 15 August 2012
I purchased the Cokin filters to get me started with using ND grads as I didn't want to pay to much money, but I found them to be anything but neutral.

Although they were not as bad if using them individually, when stacked they gave a very strong dark purple colour cast and some vignetting at the edges.

I then tried using just one of the 1 stop ND grad filters and my B+W 10 stop filter and the purple still remained.

Even when I took a picture of a stormy blue sky and adjusted my white balance in camera to compensate and used only 1 filter, the picture still came out purple, so I sent them back and will be saving up for a set of lee filters instead.

On the plus side though, if you really are on a budget and you can live with the colour cast, the build quality of the holder was quite good and the filters themselves were OK apart from a few chips on the edges, but this couldn't be seen in the image, then these might be good to learn with.

Each filter was supplied in its own hard plastic case, which gave ample protection.

You might be able to adjust the colour cast in your editing software and I had some success with this, but for me I want to get as much as possible right in camera and do as little as I can in post production.

So to conclude, if you are only ever using 1 ND grad filter then you might be OK, just be aware that when using a polariser, an ND grad, or stacking the ND grads together, a strong colour cast might be apparent, my advice would still be to save your money and buy something that is truly neutral.

(I used these with a Nikon D7000 + 18-105mm kit lens)
on 5 February 2013
When used facing toward the light source such as at sunset or sunrise I get a strong purple hue that makes the photo look unreal. Correcting the hue in Photoshop is impossible with my skills and may be totally impossible because the hue varies with the gradation. When I used these filters with the light source at right angles or on a dull day the hue is much less pronounced. All a problem really because I've owned them a month or too, used them and ditched the packaging. I guess 've just wasted my money. Could it be something weird about the light sensor on my Lumix? I doubt it because a Canon owner has given a similar review.
review image