5.0 out of 5 stars Ronnie is out on his own and he ROCKS!!
The first album by Dio and Ronnie Dio's voice is amazing. After leaving Black Sabbath we hear Dio making music that is more than an equal to any of the Sabbath stuff.
This album is full of great heavy metal tracks and in my opinion has some of the best of Dio's work on it. The title track, Holy Diver, is a heavy metal classic, as is Don't Talk to Strangers...
Published on 19 Mar 2003 by Peestie

3.0 out of 5 stars Holy Diver - awesome album but why not a DVD??
I've always loved Dio's stuff so this album is highly recommended. I just wish these Deluxe Editions would include a DVD with some live footage, rare interviews or similar... Not just the easy way out e.g. demo recordings, old live recorings etc. we're in the 21st century now! We want DVd/Bluray included with these packages otherwise imho they are "Deluxe" more Special...
Published on 19 Sep 2012 by J. BLIGHT

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good album (so I'm told!), 19 April 2013
This review is from: Holy Diver - Remastered (Audio CD)
Purchased as a present for my sister to replace the old vinyl album she had so she is very happy with it and has it booming out in the car!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: Holy Diver - Remastered (Audio CD)
Great album with lots of passion and power

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest heavy metal album of all time?, 12 Nov 2003
I love this album.
It has everything going for it, driving rhythms, screaming guitars, great rock vocals and underpinned throughout with strong performances from all players and a great sense of melody.
This IMHO is the greatest album of it's type EVER. I just cannot find one fault with it, it's THAT good. Ronnie James Dio from 1983 was THE heavy metal singer and songwriter, it's just a shame that he couldn't retain this strength of writing and recording throughout his subsequent releases.
Never mind, we have Holy Diver. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the last great hard rock albums, 21 Feb 2008
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Holy Diver - Remastered (Audio CD)
I first knew Ronnie James Dio's music from his work with Rainbow, but there was never any questioning his vocal ability; he's a mini volcano. I later heard a Dio compilation that left me in no doubt that 'Holy Diver' was this band's best album. 'Stand Up And Shout' is the archetypal fast rocker, a superb track with a title that might serve as Dio's signature. The title track, complete with an eerie wind tunnel wail at the start, is slower, but just as formidable. By this time, you know you're on to a killer album. Of the other tracks, the insistent riff of 'Rainbow In The Dark' is the most instant, but breathless hard rocking is the mainstay of 'Holy Diver' and not one track disappoints. I still prefer 'Rainbow Rising,' but it's probably unfair to compare Blackmore, Powell and co to the Dio line-up, and Dio himself deserves to be remembered for more than just lending Ritchie Blackmore a hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Sep 2014
fantastic purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 26 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Holy Diver (Audio CD)
One of my favourite Heavy Metal lp's of all time, Ronnie James Dio's vocals are incredibly powerfull and well writen. The first album to feature guitarist Vivian Campbell (truly amazing). One of the heaviest albums I have ever heard and so much of the content has been copied by other artists, if you are into this type of music there is no excuse for not owning this lp.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can this happen?, 2 May 2011
Alan C. Farrell "acfdclxvi" (Dunfermline, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holy Diver - Remastered (Audio CD)
I've been into metal & rock music since I was 12 or 13 years old. How is it, now I'm 36, that I've just heard this incredible album for the first time? I can't believe I've denied myself the chance to own this album for so long. Everything about this album is killer, pure and simple. If you've thought about buying this and put it off for whatever reason then please scrub that thought from your head and buy this now!
\m/ RIP RJD \m/

5.0 out of 5 stars fist pumping rock, 24 May 2010
R. Stewart "rock it" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holy Diver - Remastered (Audio CD)
Great first "solo" album post black sabbath and rainbow days, Dio has simply one of the greatest rock voices of all time. This album is pumping.
So sad to hear of Ronnie's untimely death this month.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dio Holly Diver, 3 Oct 2003
K Elliot (Markinch, Fife United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holy Diver (Audio CD)
What a superb album from Rainbow to Back Sabbath Ronnie has shown that that his voice and lyrical masterfulness will swosh all critics.

3.0 out of 5 stars A step down from Sabbath, 30 Nov 2006
This review is from: Holy Diver - Remastered (Audio CD)
I have loved RJD's voice since I first heard it 25 years ago. Through several Rainbow and the two Sabbath albums he was terrific. I bought this solo album on an impulse just after listening to my copy of Heaven and Hell, hoping to get more of the same.

Well the voice is just as good, but what surrounds it is totally generic heavy rock that never really hits home. Every track you find yourself waiting for some kind of climax and it never comes. The guitar solos are weak and forgettable, and the production buries them behind that massive voice. Some of it sounds mawkish, like something from California. It really misses the brilliance of Iommi or Blackmore. I am disappointed, but the voice alone drags it up to three stars. Only buy if you are crazy about RJD.

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Holy Diver - Remastered
Holy Diver - Remastered by Dio (Audio CD - 2005)