5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, engaging comedy..., 6 Feb 2007
This review is from: May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD] (DVD)
I've only recently got into this show (thanks to that fantastic TV channel, Paramount Comedy 2). My wonderful mother got this DVD and I spent last night (or maybe "this morning" - it was after midnight!) watching these classic episodes. (Maybe not such a good idea to start watching when one has to get up in the morning... )

I love this show - I love the humour, the writing and the cast. And I am hoping that DVDs for the subsequent series will shortly be released - I am ready and waiting, my "Add To Cart" finger is primed... ;)

Very highly recommended from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic program, great service., 22 July 2013
This review is from: May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD] (DVD)
First, even though I ordered this product from overseas, it arrived quickly. While the set was listed as "used" (no longer available new), it was in new condition. The major issue (for which I was prepared) was that a different DVD player is required toplay this format. I highly recommend this supplier and I recommend this series. The writing is clever and witty. A huge improvement on the mediocre fare we see in the U.S.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully funny and uplifting program!, 6 Sep 2009
This review is from: May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD] (DVD)
I am another one of 'those' Americans that prefer British television. I first saw May to December in 2005 when our local public television station ran the first 2 series. I really loved it from the first episode. Anton Rogers is a delight as is Eve Matheson. The supporting cast is also very good and the scripts are both believable, funny and heartwarming.

I am disappointed to see that only the first two series are available on DVD. I have never seen Leslie Dunlop in the role of Zoe as our local station only showed what is available on DVD. So for now I will make due with series 1 and 2.

Purchasing a PAL enabled DVD player to use with my multi system capable plasma display was a smart move. Most Americans do not realize that PAL is a much superior format to our NTSC system and with much higher resolution. It helps these older programs really shine and has made a real PAL disc collector out of me. May to December is no exception and features a very nice video presentation considering indoor shots were done on video tape with outdoor locations done on film as seems to be the case with most 'Brit Coms' I have seen. Our American DVD sets do not come close to approaching this level of quality.

I hope in future that I will be able to see how Alec and Zoe's relationship develops with the release of Series 3 and beyond. I am holding out hope that may happen at some point.
March 26, 2010 UPDATE: After contacting Acorn Media I was unhappy to find out they have "no plans whatsoever" to release the remaining 4 Series of this program. Phooey! At least they personally answered my email but now I will never know what happened to Alec and Zoe without reading the online spoilers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Feel Good Family Viewing, 28 Sep 2006
This review is from: May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent DVD which leaves the viewer wondering why subsequent series are not available on DVD at present. Each episode is titled using song titles which is a nice twist. Suitable for the family to watch together, funny with a real feel good factor.

5.0 out of 5 stars comedy at its best, 24 Feb 2014
I bought series 1&2 after watching all the 6 series on sky twice so funny
disappointed no plans for the rest on dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars May to December, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD] (DVD)
I discovered this series on PBS and was immediately enchanted by both the story line and the characters. I am of the opinion that only the British can capture the subtleties of everyday life and make it interesting and almost necessary to become a part of it.
This was my first purchase from Amazon UK and I was treated very well by the seller, Lawrence. He also included a short note inside the package in which he told me what to do if the DVD wouldn't play on my machine.
I must admit that as well as being pleased with my purchase I was thrilled to receive the mailer itself which had a "Royal mail postal paid" stamp on it as well as the customs declaration. I am sure this is as close as I will ever get to Great Britain.
Will purchase again from this seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars A British Comedy Must Have, 26 Jan 2006
This review is from: May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD] (DVD)
May to December is a must have DVD for British comedy fans. It is very much a product of its era. You'll find much comedic tension between Miss Flood and the dim-witted Hillary. The story lines are poignant and sentimental.

5.0 out of 5 stars May To December, 17 Jun 2007
This review is from: May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD] (DVD)
I just love this series Anton Rodgers is perfect as Alec and Eve Matheson as Zoe although I liked Lesley Dunlop later on when she played Zoe.

Alec and Zoe are perfect for each other they really are and both of them are very entertaining characters. Miss Flood is a very loyal friend and secretary to Alec and Miles.

In Series 2 I was sorry to see Miles go, but Jamie is great and a good son to Alec.

This series is a delight to watch and I sincerely hope more series are released on Dvd.

I think Hilary brings a lot to the series also and she might be scatterbrained but she has a good heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars May To December, 11 Jun 2007
This review is from: May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD] (DVD)
I have recently viewed Series 1 & 2 of this show.Excellent viewing,Eve Matheson excels as Zoe,seeming at times vulnerable,sometimes tough,always endearing.I just wonder how Lesley Dunlop can follow her performance.I particularly loved her wonderful changeover in the last scene of "My Funny Valentine"where she switches from "Matchmakers Incorporated"to"And you were thrilled,weren't you".Stupendous.I will miss her in Series 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars May to December Series 1 & 2, 7 Mar 2008
Mr. V. F. Holmwood "A Florida fan" (Winter Springs, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD] (DVD)
This show was filmed to a large part in Pinner Middlesex, some 13 miles north of London. Having been a "copper" in Pinner for 9 years I thought the use of Pinner in the seriess a very good choice. Acting was what one would expect from the stars in it 100% great. Please notify me if the rest of the series come available. I even bought a special DVD player to watch it, it's that good. signed "A Florida fan"

May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD]
May To December - Series 1 [1989] [DVD] by Sydney Lotterby (DVD - 2005)