on 10 January 2006
We watched this dvd and were amazed at how quickly there is a good result if you stick to the simple guidelines and instructions, if you have any difficulties with your dog or dogs.Even if you don't- it heps so much to understand how dogs think in a simple non airy- fairy way!
We immediately started putting these thoughts into action and have been in less than a day really pleased at the change already- so much so, I am about to order another one to lend to those I am telling about it!Even our teenage sons cannot deny -the improvement and teenage boys aren't always the most observant of creatures!!!
There are so many dog training books etc about which are good but this dvd heps you to see it in action with the results too. I have ordered the book too for maybe more indepth reference but seeing is believing. delighted!
11 comment| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2006
This is a really excellent guide to Jan Fennell's Amichien training. It is good to see the methods being used in real life cases, and it is an excellent companion for the book. Her method's really do work. We have 2 rescue dogs that have been transformed by using Jan's methods. Highly recommended.
on 3 October 2005
I have got all of Jan Fennell's books and now the DVD. I would definatly suggest having the books aswell because they add alot more meaning to the method (Amichien Bonding) than the DVD alone. This said however, it is wonderful to be able to see the method being applied to several dogs with various 'problems'. It also features Jan's son Tony, her English Springer Spaniels, her German Shepherd and her Utonagan (the ones that look like wolves). It is a nice insight to be able to see her dogs and how they behave.
A good DVD for anyone interested in learning more about Amichien Bonding and how it is applied. At an hour and a half long, it's comforting to know that it is split up into handy bite-size sections.
It also boasts an interview in the bonus material section.
11 comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2011
I was given Jan Fennell's "The Dog Listener" book a short while before getting our Chocolate Labrador puppy Buddy (he's now 4!) and I loved it. My neighbour is about to get a puppy and I thought that she could benefit from the book in the same way that we did, so I came on here to get her a copy that she could keep (as Buddy had taken a dislike to the fact that this book was so good and proceeded to eat the first 17 pages of ours! Our copy, as you can imagine is a little bit dog eared)

Many of the tips we put into practice and some we still use today. However, being lazy humans, some of the other practices have slipped by the way side and as a result Buddy isn't the best behaved that he could be! My husband isn't one for picking up books and putting the instructions into practice, so when I saw the DVD I was really pleased! I have watched it through myself and am still waiting for my husband to catch up so that we can put these things into practice together and show Buddy some consistency.

I love how Jan is at one with her dogs, how much she respects them, and they her. She offers practical advice that should be easy to put into practise (only time will tell!). The production of the DVD feels a bit on the less expensive side, but what does that matter when the content is what is important? I found Jan's book really useful and the DVD is looking set to be just as helpful.
on 26 August 2009
We have purchased 12 of these DVD's on behalf of the Labrador Lifeline Trust which rescue and rehomes unwanted, ill treated and abandoned Labradors of all ages. We use this DVD to loan to prospective homes in order for them to get an idea of how to train the dog and themselves from day 1. It is a very clear and concise DVD which is easy for anyone to understand and to take in small pieces or as a whole. An excellent tool in any dog rescue.
on 27 January 2011
Having first read her book I was really interested to see her in action on this DVD. Using these methods I have managed to gain a bit more respect from my 11 month old Border Terrier but we still have a way to go. Nothing is ever going to be a quick fix but I think we are heading in the right direction now. The content of this DVD is excellent however the quality of the production values is frankly poor. The cameraoperator seems incapable of framing a shot and frequently the person talking has their head cut off at the neck! There is simply no excuse for this hence the three stars.
on 9 December 2010
I first bought this when my Springer was 6 months old. She was very lively and excitable. Following the advice from Jan Fennell she calmed down a lot within a few days. She doesn't jump up at us or strangers any more. She also stopped being fussy with her food. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with a lively dog.
on 10 October 2008
A good accompaniment to Jan Fennell's books (The Dog Listener). It doesn't go into a huge amount of detail but you get to meet the lady herself and that alone inspires confidence in her methods and approaches. A very down to earth and kind lady, you immediately get the feeling you'd love to meet her! You do need to read the book first or alongside watching the DVD to really get to grips with what's going on as the hardest part is training yourself to use the methods effectively and consistently.
on 8 April 2011
Our labrador is now 5 years old.
We trained him from a puppy using this DVD.
The beauty of it is:
Its very simple.
It works.

Follow Jans advice and you get a well behaved, contented, obedient dog that is a joy to own.
If this DVD was £50 it would be worth every penny.

This DVD will change your life.........and your dog's for the better!
on 27 January 2012
We got this when our new dog was a puppy, having already been lent the the book. The DVD is more about problem dogs and the general guidance in the book was probably better in terms of having a dog's eye view of the world and how they expect to be treated. I think it is certainly true that her basic point - that we need to think dog a bit more rather than expecting them to think human - is a sensible one. They are loyal and mostly try to please, but don't always know how, especially if we are inconsistent.