4.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit - shame the bowl isn't bigger
Very impressed with this - it certainly takes a lot of effort out of making up pastes etc. I was a bit wary of other users comments on this site but if you're careful to only use the grinder for 5 second bursts and allow 5 seconds to rest between bursts (as recommended by Revel) then I'm sure the grinder will last the distance.

To test, I filled the bowl with...
Published on 19 Mar. 2008 by Mr. B. Fidge

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea - badly implemented
Published on 27 Sept. 2010 by Simon

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea - badly implemented, 27 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder (Kitchen & Home)
I was given this as a gift less than a year ago. I don't use it very often as I already had a coffee grinder but it's very useful for grinding spices. I've used it a few times though and found that it grinds quickly and easily and does a good job. At least it did until I used it this morning. I was using it in short bursts, as per the instructions, when it suddenly made an alarming clattering noise and the blade stopped spinning. I lifted the lid off and discovered that the (plastic) cogs that transfer the movement from the motor to the blade had turned into a blob of melted and shredded plastic. As far as I can make out, the blade had jammed on the bottom of the grinder bowl whilst the motor kept spinning.

What's more upsetting is that I can't find a website for the manufacturer and the guarantee helpline number in the paperwork just rings out. An online search for the number seems to indicate that it's for a now-defunct shop in north west London.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit - shame the bowl isn't bigger, 19 Mar. 2008
Mr. B. Fidge - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder (Kitchen & Home)

To test, I filled the bowl with cashew nuts and with 5 seconds of grinding they were almost entirely reduced to powder. Although there were still a few chunks left, another quick blitz and they were gone. This would have taken several minutes hard labour even with my massive granite mortar and pestel.

The next test was a bit more severe. I had dry fried about 100g of desicated coconut, 12 garlic cloves, cinnamon bark, cloves, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, 4 dried thai chilies and a whole chopped onion. All together, this lot practically filled a 12" frying pan.

The grinder bowl is on the small side so grinding the above mixture had to be done in many batches. It took 3-4 5 second bursts to grind each batch down to a fairly fine paste. Between bursts, I found that lifting the bowl and hood off the unit and giving it a good shake was required as the mixture of dry and wet ingredients stuck to the sides of the bowl. Maybe grinding wet and dry ingredients seperately would be better. I did consider adding a bit of water to each batch, but didn't want to make my paste too wet.

The end result was quite a fine paste which when used in a curry was still a little bit "bitty" but on the whole a lot smoother than previous attempts.

If I was designing version 2 of this product, I'd make the bowl a good inch wider and higher to accomodate more ingredients in one go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Three times Broke the charm, 2 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder (Kitchen & Home)
I had bought this grinder 3 times. and 3 times the motor housing broke after about 1 yr of reasonable usage. let me put it this way, this is a good grinder except one fatal flaw- the base or the motor housing starts cracking and then water collects inside shorting the machine.
Each time I bought this grinder because of 2 reasons- a) lack of other alternatives in the market in the same category b) I thought that maybe by chance I had a bad statistical sample.
However, after the third time it broke in the same fashion I have made up my mind - I am not buying this product AGAIN!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars works great but you have to be careful, 18 Oct. 2009
Ms. A. L. Benn (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder (Kitchen & Home)
I have had this grinder for 10 months now, and as a keen curry cook I have used it regularly. I agree with other reviewers that it could be a bit bigger - when grinding wet ingredients, such as garlic and ginger to make a paste, there tends to be some leakage which runs down the sides of the bowl. This is worrying as I am sure it could get onto the contacts where the bowl fits onto the base.

I have been really careful to only use it in 5 second bursts, as instructed, and up to now it has been excellent. I like that you can put the bowl and to into the dishwasher, though often all it needs is a rinse under the tap.

Having read that other people have found that this product only lasts a year - I will be on my guard. Fingers crossed that it does better than that as I would really miss this indespensable little gadget.
Andrea

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Grinder - BUT...., 30 Aug. 2008
Susman "Susman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder (Kitchen & Home)
Look this is a great grinder, but it keeps on breaking down. REVEL please take note your losing customers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good grinder - but lack of choice !, 26 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder (Kitchen & Home)
I have just brought my second one of these because the 1st broke.
So it isnt exactly a good grinder in the long term. However there is virtually nothing on the market that does wet grinding - so not much choice.
It does actually have quite good quality grinding - but use it gently.
I think I killed it by overdoing the grinding on heavy duty cinnamon - so maybe its an Ok grinder after all. Anyway - it isnt heavy duty - the joint holding the roters will burn or disintigrate and the machine will break.

It also has a very tiny capacity and not the best opening/closing method - quite poor really. But then it does do its job if used gently :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just bought my second one., 12 Dec. 2008
R. G. Riseley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder (Kitchen & Home)
I agree with the other reviews. I have had one for 5 years, in constant use until first a puff of smoke and then it tried to electrocute me. So I scoured the internet for a replacement. There is nothing around that performs as well. I ended up buying another one. I think the trick is to make sure that wet ingredients don't overflow (not easy sometimes) and drop into the motor housing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Died after three years of use, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder (Kitchen & Home)
Just thought I would add a comment after using this for three years. The grinder is a great little kitchen appliance and well worth the £25 I originally paid for it - but not worth £35 IMO. On the plus side it grinds spices and coffee beans and other small items, it's a bit noisy and you have to make sure you grind in small bursts - I only ever did for a 3 seconds at most.
The reason it failed in the end was the cup attachment just disintegrated - and the annoying thing about this is that the only place I could find a replacement was a small shop ( not even online) in London, who charge £12.99 for the replacement part. Over half the cost of the original item. I know you can buy the blade and the cog on amazon, but I needed the whole cup.

My advice is don't buy, it's now too expensive and replacement parts difficult to get and expensive for what it is.

3.0 out of 5 stars the best grinder I've ever had, but flawed, 7 Jun. 2008
saki "avid reader" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder (Kitchen & Home)
A wet and dry grinder is the most indispensable item in our kitchen, since my family loves to grind up pastes, pesto and the like on a daily basis - not to mention grinding spices and nuts

This grinder, when it works, does the best grinding job I've ever experienced in the home. But all sorts of things go wrong with it - in two years I've actually had 3 of these, all broken - I'm now on my 4th. You may think I'm a glutton for punishment, but like I said, absolutely nothing out there works as well as these little monsters.

My advice to anyone desperate for a good grinder is, buy it from Lakeland, (they will happily replace it for you) and use it with your fingers crossed.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! What a superb little machine!, 24 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder (Kitchen & Home)
I've had mine two weeks and it's now an essential gadget in the kitchen. (I actually bought mine at a John Lewis store).

I use it for grinding seeds (sunflower, pumkin, sessame, even poppy seeds which are very difficult to grind) and fresh herbs as well as nuts. I haven't tried it for coffee beans which is one of the things it's meant for.

The motor is amazingly powerful for such a small grinder and because it's so powerful it can only be operated in small 5 second bursts otherwise the motor burns out (maybe this is what happened to the first reviewer?).

Also, again because it's so powerful (280 watts: the same as most big blenders)it's quite noisy so you can't really operate it in the early hours of the morning.

BUT in 5 seconds it literally turns most seeds and nuts into fine powder- awesome! With the poppy seeds you just do it 2/3 times.

You can make peanut butter because of it's excellently deigned water-tight plastic bowl where the action happens.

All in all one of the best designed and most useful piece of kit I've ever bought.

Like the previous reviewer, I also touched the plug pings with wet hands as I pulled it out of the wall after having just used it and yes there was a very little shock. This is because, like a lot of kitchen appliances, it has a capacitor that still retains a charge after just being unpluged. Moral of the story; don't immediately unplug it with wet hands and touch the pins :)

I don't think there's anything else like it on the market
Well done Revel, It's nice to come across a great design for a change!

P.S. the chrome is actually plastic chrome but you wouldn't know it unless you touched it.

Revel Chrome Wet' N Dry Grinder