5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the best Mario Kart game ever? Don't make me decide!
Well, I never thought Nintendo would do it, but they've created a kart title worthy of rivalling the 1992 SNES classic. I loved that game, and Nintendo have pulled off a great feat on the DS.

Published on 25 Feb 2008 by Interval

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Gran kids like it - I have no idea why :)
Published 11 days ago by Wirralite

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the best Mario Kart game ever? Don't make me decide!, 25 Feb 2008
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)

Having bought a DS a few weeks ago, I had to choose a title to go with it. I naturally gravitated to a choice of New Super Mario Bros, and Zelda's Phantom Hourglass. But my eye kept getting drawn to the Mario Kart case. I tried to convince myself not to buy it, that it'd only let me down, like Mario Kart 64 did all those years ago. I think I made the right choice.

Mario Kart DS is a very racy game. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Yes, we all know about the various missles, power-ups and other things that can get in your way, but for me, my favourite pasttime on the SNES was getting those personal best times down. MK DS recreates this feeling once more, more so than Mario Kart 64 or Double Dash. It's fun to try and get those times down.

But Nintendo haven't gone all serious on us, no. That's just the 'boring' comparison stuff out of the way. It's an incredibly fun game with an excellent replay value. Hooking up with friends is easy, and the varied tracks, cup and unlockables will keep you entertained for ages. The bottom screen is great. You don't use it for touching anything except the menu choices, yet believe me, it's essential. It gives you a topdown faraway view of the action, and you will find yourself using it a surprising amount of the time. Multiplayer was seamless too, I've never dropped connection once, and it's fun to race against people from all over the world. My only gripe is with people cheating in races. It's not in every race, but common enough to annoy you. I recently had one guy send three blue shells after me, after I had the cheek to overtake him. After he'd been cheating by using invincibility before even hitting a ? block, when he thought I wasn't looking. Hm.

All of your favourite racers are back too, so I don't need to bore you with the details. Many are unlockable, and I still haven't unlocked them all. The graphics are great for a DS. Better than the n64, but not quite as good as the Gamecube. Nintendo have impressed me in other ways though. The animations are great, you can tell the developers put a lot of time into them, and the 60fps also contributes to the fast clean pace.

This is a game I can't recommend highly enough. It's fun, and takes some characteristics from previous kart games, (including tracks) and meshes it together. There's nothing I can really fault it with, and it's great for kids and adults alike.

Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 5 star game without doubt!, 18 April 2007
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
When my brother had Mario Kart DS for his N64 I was addicted to the "balloon" battle mode - and it was the first thing I played when I got my hands on this.

The DS version is, if anything, an IMPROVED version! Before you could only battle mode against other 'human' players, whereas now you can do battle against up to 7 CPU controlled players.

There are tracks galore and more to unlock, lots of different characters to choose from and again - more to unlock.

There are new weapons too and for each character you select you can choose different vehicles. Some are faster, some are easier to handle, etc. This makes this classic game bigger than ever before. Once you complete all the tracks in 50cc mode, you can move to bigger engines. You can also play with different characters, select a different car (there are several for each of the CC modes - each individual to the character you choose).

I have played over WiFi via the Nintendo WFC service, and I performed pathetically compared to the international super-players I pitifully tried to beat! But I'll improve!

I have also played the DS to DS two player mode with just one game cartridge (Download play) and this was phenominal! I was beaten this time round too by my good colleague Marc - but I'll soon get him back. You can play Battle mode this way too, which is great - as we both have a DS, but we only have one game card between us!

This looks and sounds fantastic on the DS. The touch screen allows you to change the track view which comes in handy on battle mode. Whether you want to spend a good session on your DS, or a few minutes - this game is perfect - and so much fun on your own, or with others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo has a winner here!, 25 April 2006
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
To put it short, it's a brilliant game! The Best Mario Kart game to be released since the original Mario Kart back on the SNES

Gameplay

Control of the karts are perfect. Its what you should expect from a Mario Kart game, proper control to win the race

Features

= 32 tracks (16 new and 16 classic)

= 8 cups to win in 4 different difficulties (32 in total)

= For the first time, battle mode with computer controlled characters (6 battle stages to choose)

= New Mission Mode (e.g. collect 30 coins in 15 seconds, beat this character, etc)

= VS (quick race)

= Multiplayer (DS - DS and WiFi)

Graphics

Best I've seen on a DS, better than the N64 Mario Kart game. Touch screen is used as a course map. There are 2 versions, a zoomed in map which show where objects are placed and there's a standard map, which shows the outline of the course

WiFi - NINTENDO's WINNER

Race against up to 4 people from various places around the world. Limited number of tracks to select, but there are some good ones to select (my personal favourite: Rainbow Road). The only negatives are people quiting the race halfway through, and some jumping around but the good points overshadow the negatives

Lifespan

Cups won't take too long to complete, but you still have mission mode to complete (make sure you get at least 1 star for every mission) and, of course the WiFi races

FINAL VERDICT

What's stopping you? Even if you don't have WiFi, you'll still have loads of fun, get it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars another reason to love nintendo, 30 Nov 2005
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Buy this now!!! If you don't have a Nintendo DS, buy Mario Kart DS and a Nintendo DS now!!! This is an incredible game. The gameplay is flawless and there are three engine sizes as normal with a Mario Kart game (50cc, 100cc and 150cc) with 16 new race tracks + 16 classic race tracks from the previous Mario kart games (even 4 from the Gamecube version of the game!). There are a couple of new weapon pickups and the sparks-boost from the Gamecube version of the game is a welcome addition. Also, the ability to make your kart 'hop' when power-sliding round corners (or to get more height from jumps) is another thing I'm glad Nintendo brought back. It doesn't stop there - battle mode is back and the courses are as well-designed as the N64 and SNES versions of the game. One-player mode is great, but the game is even more fun in multi-player mode - racing and battling. You can connect with other players that are within a 10m radius without the need for extra cables and you can play the game against anyone else in the world from one of 7,500 wi-fi spots in the UK free of charge!! In short - this is the best game for a portable games console ever!!! Thanks Nintendo!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT!!!!!!, 30 Jun 2007
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I love this game, it is really fun racing agaist all of the other characters! As you win tournoments you unlock more characters and you can race on more tracks!! I also love linking up with other people and racing against them, we all enjoy playing it! You can even link up even if your pals dont have the game, but you get more tracks to race on if the other person has the game aswell! I would recomend this to all mario lovers and to everyone else who is thinking about buying it!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a look if you own a DS, 20 Nov 2005
G. Buller - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
At last! A DS game that is truly worthy of the hardware. Mario Kart DS is a slick and polished racing game that will appeal to any DS owner. It has almost everything from possibly the best graphics on the DS (on a par with Super Mario 64 DS)to online wireless internet multiplay (if your PC has broadband and Wifi)and the gameplay and presentation is the best I've seen on the DS so far.
You get plenty for your money as there are many modes, characters and karts to unlock as well as new courses and a replayability thats so good I can easily see myself coming back to this game again and again for literally years to come.
Any negatives in this game? Not a lot really. You'll miss out a little if you don't have a friend with a DS to play muliplayer wirelessly or if you don't have broadband to play people across the world but the single player is more than entertaining enough. Also one or two of the courses are a little plain in design and a bit boring to ride through. But with over 20 tracks to race on I am being very picky.
This really is a revolutionary game with its Wi-fi capabilities. Go out and get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to perfection, 29 Nov 2005
C. Quinn "totality denier" (County Louth, Eire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
There may never be a perfect Mario Kart game, but this is close enough. Personally I love the coin-collecting and insane extra tracks of Super Circuit on the GBA, but there you're stuck with the same drivers and cars. Double Dash looks and feels fantastic but is short on courses. The SNES and N64 versions were classics, but are now showing their age against the multi-featured followups.
Mario Kart DS has almost everything going for it -- the only drawbacks are that eventually, I would guess, the tracks will prove a little easier than in most other versions -- and there's still no coin collecting ... or is there?! MKDS has a fab new 'Mission' section, kind of a story mode without a story (relief!), which involves guiding all the drivers through coin-collecting, box-breaking, poky-bombing and boss-bashing challenges of increasing nastiness. Watch out for the sneaky insertion of bosses from elsewhere in the Nintendo universe (no spoilers here).
The tracks themselves might be a little more straightforward, but the driving is harder. Both the start boost and the power slides are tougher to pull off, and veering into walls and verges will hurt you much more than in any other Mario Kart game, even in the lighter cars, so be warned. What it lacks in novelty of circuits (which isn't much, as some of the unlockable tracks prove) it makes up for in sheer skill required.
Again without wanting to spoil things too much, you'll probably be satisfied with the unlockability of MKDS: extra tracks, riders, cars, it's all there. I haven't mentioned WiFi because I haven't tried it yet, but I'd guess you'll be pretty pleased with the game even without the wireless dimension. A final nice touch is that you can play battle mode on your own against the CPU, which for some reason you couldn't do in Double Dash.
Another excellent MK game with plenty to keep you interested. Even if you're not sure how much you'll use WiFi, you should still definitely go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars possibly the best mario kart title so far, 6 May 2006
Master T. Knott "Ghostdog64" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
i've played every single mario kart title since the nintendo 64 version, which was a legend of it's time. but since then the mario kart games haven't improved to much extent, so when i bought this i wasn't expecting much, but playing on it for about a month now i've found that it is fantastic. it's main attraction i found is the wi-fi capapilities, which lets you play people from all over the world, among this, there are challenges, new karts/characters and the battle modes with the classic balloon battle (back from the nintendo 64 version), which overall give the game a long playability.

the only thing that the mario kart titles never get right, as well as this one, is a concept of speed.

apart from that, i urge you to get it as it is a great little racing game for portability

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Mario Kart should be, 7 Dec 2005
J. Burling (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
This is, without a doubt, THE best Mario Kart game, ever. Ever, ever.
If you liked any of the previous incarnations of Mario Kart, this game will blow you away.
There's a whole load of single player options, and just like all the over versions, there's Grand Prix (available in 50cc, 100cc, and 150cc), Time Trials, and Vs. For the first time, you can also play in Battle Mode with computer controlled characters.
However, while single player is a lot of fun, multiplayer is where this game really shines. Of course, there's the local wireless mode, and there's little that can beat playing against 8 other real people.
As well as this, this is the first game to utilise the Nintendo Wi-Fi service. If you have a wireless internet connection, setup is painless, and playing people across the world is quick and simple. There's a lot to be said for beating 3 random people in 4 consecutive races!
In short, BUY THIS GAME. It's 100% amazing in short bursts, hour long stints, by yourself, with others, online, and any other situation you can think of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another entertaining Mario Kart, 25 Sep 2006
Michael Owen (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
I've liked the Mario Kart games since the first came out for the Super Nintendo back in the nineties. It seems like Nintendo releases a version of this for every platform, and the DS version is just as good as any of the others as far as I can tell.

There's a bit more complexity - the range of attributes that separate each character is larger, and more tracks to race on (including "classic" tracks and completely new ones). There's also a few items I don't remember seeing before, and drifting around corners is a bigger deal than it used to be - getting used to that took some time.

This is all detail though - the game is just as lighthearted and fun as it ever was, so if you enjoyed previous Kart games, you're going to like this one. A great time-killer for commutes on the tube or time lost in the airport!

Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS)
Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
18.95