on 2 August 2008
My partner spent a lot of time looking at the spec of this and other similar products before buying this one for me a year or so ago. I am an avid crossword solver and have found this to be the best route to cheating yet. I am also a primary teacher, and allow the children to use it when they are writing. They find it easy to use and regard it as a special treat! A colleague of mine became interested in buying one when I solved a dispute about the meaning of a word within seconds. She went out and bought the Sharp equivalent, which has proved to be not nearly as efficient and she regrets the decision.
on 30 December 2007
I found this to be an excellent bit of kit. Being able to jump from one function to another is a very useful feature and the content seems very thorough. The learn function, allowing you to store words, has proved to be very useful as has the solve function which has been great for helping with all sorts of word puzzles. The product is a convenient size and feels and handles very well. The screen is a good size but my only qualm is I would like the screen to have better visibility. You can vary the contrast and the size of the font, which is useful, but a light (of sorts) would be a real bonus. Nevertheless overall I have been very impressed.
0Comment|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2009
This is awesome, it does what it should and more, the games are fun, although you occasionally get words which are not in common useage.

The encyclopedia is good, and allows you to search by topic as well as specific things, you can also use the '?' and the wildcard in the encyclopedia, dictionary and thesaurus, which means if you aren't sure how to spell what you are looking for it will probably come up somewhere on the list.

The thesaurus has everything you'd expect, tables of information as well as synonyms and acronyms. Just like my book thesaurus, only much easier to use.

Overall, Tis Awesome, and in my humble opinion, well worth whatever you pay for it...
on 18 October 2008
I don't normally do reviews of products I've bought on t'Internet, but felt compelled to do so on this occasion, because I had slight reservations owing to some of the slightly discouraging reviews, especially the piece from someone about it being yank-centric. Have no fear though friends, this is an excellent bit of kit. I fully support the comments of the other 5* ratings - it's just hoofing! Switches from mode to mode at the touch of a button, and enables you to research the word/subject you're working on and retains it for each different mode. Easy to use as well - I haven't needed to consult the instructions yet...OK, I'm a bloke, so I shouldn't need to, but it is so straight forward, anyone could use it. It's so diverse and comprehensive too; I wonder whether I'll ever use it to its full capacity. I was going to ask for a hard copy Thesaurus and Crossword Solver for Christmas - I'll have to think of something else now. I would recommend this item to anyone, whether using it for crosswords, reference or amusement - It's just great. By the way, thanks to KK Electronics; fast delivery and best price. Hoofing!
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2009
Being a crossword addict and having had a variety of electronic dictionaries over the years this is the best by far,as it is quick with the encyclopaedia exceptionally informative. The links between the dictionary / thesaurus / encyclopaedia are fantastic, I cannot praise this product too highly.Seiko Britannica Concise Encyclopedia
on 10 April 2009
The product and the instruction booklet are eminently user-friendly although fat fingers could prove a disadvantage on the keyboard but this is what keeps it small, light and genuinely pocket-size. Its speedy response in solving anagrams and those crossword clues that formerly nagged all (sleepless) night keeps battery use to a minimum and the ability to change screen brightness makes it easy to read whatever the surrounding light. Obviously indispensible for holiday use when luggage restrictions prevent the inclusion of several large,weighty tomes it is equally welcome in the armchair at home. I've recommended it to several friends and am about to buy one for a birthday present. My only reservation is that it could encourage me to be mentally lazy/lazier.
on 5 January 2010
I can't tell you how disappointed I am with this. I had a Seika Crossword solver which I stupidly gave away once this came.
I tried last night to remind myself of the author of Fahrenheit 451 and guess what - it can't or wont allow the user to mix letters and figures. It appears (I may be extremely thick here) I can only use the figures in the calculator. I am not terribly impressed - although i had read that - the encyclopedia is only American friendly and it's absolutely true - is it beyond the wit of Seika to produce this item for the English market?? The thesaurus is excellent, the Quotations average - I tried to find a quotation of Oscar Wilde and wasn't terribly successful, but not being able to mix letters and figures is ridiculous. If I am wrong can someone enlighten me pls?
on 25 May 2009
Seiko ER-8000 Britannica and Oxford Concise Encyclopedia, Dictionary &Thesaurus
This is an excellent machine,it can be used straight out of the box.
It has all you need to do those difficult crossword puzzles,it is also small and compact,and contains a lot more words and variations than you give it credit for.Most of the operations are straight forward, there are just a few extras to go looking for but the variations are infinite.
A good machine worth every penny(pence).
on 26 March 2010
Limited to the English language more American. Very AMERICAN Very orientated to the Yank spelling.
on 29 August 2009
I find the biggest drawback with this is the American content it is obviously an
American product, therefor most (not all) solutions are American.It works well in other departments.