5.0 out of 5 stars Howl with pleasure!
Published on 9 Oct. 2005 by STEWART ADRIAN BONE

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed
After seeing BRMC on Jonathon Ross one night and then again on VH2 I bought "Take them on on your own". I was absolutley blown away by it. One of the best albums I've bought in the past 5 or 6 years.

Based on this I bought "Howl". Howl indeed, I almost sobbed. Gone have the heavy guitars, shoegazing and almost metal approach. The first couple of tracks seem...
Published on 8 Mar. 2007 by DazzlerT

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Howl with pleasure!, 9 Oct. 2005
STEWART ADRIAN BONE (COPENHAGEN, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Howl (Audio CD)
I don't buy a lot of recent stuff and I am pretty careful when I do. Once in a while I pick up a phenomenal album and I have to say that the eclectic mix of styles on this album has breadth and depth rarely heard in much chart music. On "Shuffle Your Feet" can you hear Magic Bus by The Who but isn't the style otherwise so familiar? Howl is no mean track but the next two tracks seem very southern states until "Ain't No Easy Way" remodels Led Zeppelin's Fourth Album style brilliantly. Then "Promise" mirrors Beatles in some form. Elvis appears in "Gospel Song", Dylan in "Complicated Situation" and the album finishes without a weak track. This is a piece of work which many aspiring contemporary bands don't every get close to. In comparison to their previous albums this is an unusual change of path that delivers and entertains without disappointment.Where will they go next? Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare modern classic., 15 April 2006
This review is from: Howl (Audio CD)
If you've read any of my reviews on amazon before, you'll know that I don't throw my five star reviews around to anything short of a classic. And this certainly is a classic.

I've got to say that this album completely blindsided me. Their first two albums were uninspiring to me, really, although both had a handful of brilliant songs, I wasn't a big enough fan to buy them for myself. However, having heard a snatch of lead single 'Ain't No Easy Way,' I bought this record on a whim. I've never been so happy to be this surprised.

Howl is a truly brilliant record, one that should, by rights, have blown its competition out of the water. Almost entirely acoustic, the songs here are scarcely produced and sparsely arranged, and have to stand up purely on their own strengh. Four of the songs are Dylanesque solo numbers, recorded hunched over a sole mirophone with just a guitar for company. They are astonishing.

Outside of that, is the bar-room rocker of the aforementioned 'Ain't No Easy Way,' the dreamlike, woozy title track and the slow-burning closer 'The Line' to contend with. Just about every song here is worth listening to. Only 'The Promise' feels a little syrupy, but it still lasts repeated listens, even if you just skip it once in a while.

I can't say enough good things about this album. A complete about face for this black-clad band, this is the best album you could have bought last year, or even this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album Of The Year So Far, 24 Aug. 2005
By A Customer
I heard Aint No Easy Way on the radio a few weeks ago and pre-ordered the album as soon as I could. It arrived on its release date (Monday) and it hasnt been out of the cd player yet (Wednesday).
What is definitely isnt is another BRMC cd. Theres no grunge, no dirty dark blues rock here, just beautiful, clean blues/rock/folk. Dont get me wrong, i love BRMC, Spread Your Love is a favourite, but while there are some Rifles on here, this album is neither. Its Dylanesque, its chain-gang America, its still bluesy with country undertones. Sounds like a fine wine - it is.
There may not be anything here that hasnt already been tried before, but BRMC have succeeded in creating a record with a fresh modern take on some old classic styles.
I bought the Limited Edition which has a book like cover. Like the music within, it is clean, simple, classy and understated.
For me, this is the record of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure, Simple, Brilliant., 3 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Howl (Audio CD)
BRMC's third album was a brave & significant departure from its predecessors, finding the band digging deep into a rich seam of acoustic-based Americana which confounded a great many of the fans it had already won. To others, however, it served notice of a band that deserved to be taken seriously as a potent creative force & the amazing thing about Howl is that it sounds better with each passing year. It has also been winning new admirers as the word continues to spread that this record is a durable treasure in which I for one find something new to admire & enjoy with every successive play- which is most surely the mark of a truly great record. I've nothing more to add to the remarks of the other 5 star reviewers except that acoustic guitar & harmonica might sound Dylanesque to some but that's a very misleading description. If comparisons have to be made then a song like 'Complicated Situation' sounds less like Dylan & more like one of the best songs that P.F. Sloan didn't write! This is a remarkable album from start to finish which gets under the skin & stays there. What might have seemed like a retro step in 2005 can now be regarded as ahead of its time & it thoroughly deserves every plaudit that comes its way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best album I've ever heard, 16 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Howl (Audio CD)
This is the first review I've written and may well be my last. However, the quality of this album has forced me to say something about it. A friend first got me into BRMC and I bought their first two albums and enjoyed both. Despite this I was not quite expecting the stand out quality of Howl. On the first listening I was blown away. I seriously believe there is not a bad track on this album. I have no doubt that what BRMC leave on their cutting room floor would be a stand out track on most other band's albums. I've read reviews comparing BRMC to Jesus and the Mary chain, Stone Roses, Love and Rockets and whilst I acknowledge some similarities, BRMC I believe offer so much more. This album has a dark, brooding, deep south swampy feel to it, and it love. I would recommend people to listening to the whole album to get the best out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Howling, 4 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Howl (Audio CD)
WHERE DID THIS COME FROM? This is the sound of the devolution of a band and let me say its an absolute treat to behold. Almost everything you thought this band were has been re shaped and stripped back. From the hand clap fuelled opener to the melencholy feel of the closing hidden track your left feeling that rock n roll has been thrown a life line. Other standout tracks include 'sympathetic noose' 'Howl' 'Devils waitin'. When Muddy Waters said ' the blues had a child and called it rock n roll' he wasn't kidding and whatsmore the BRMC believed him. This stands head and shoulders above anything else around at the moment. This isnt so much the sound of a band saying this is how it once was, this is the sound of a band saying this is how it will always be. This album is a bold move and I hope it inspires others to greater heights.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a new band !, 23 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Howl (Audio CD)
I have liked the first BRMC album, was a little disappointed in the second and absolutely amazed by this one ! This is definetely not the music I expected to find, it is closer to Dylan or even sounds at times like 16 Horse Power with a new singer, but definetely has little to do with BRMC past albums. The incredible fact is that despite the change in style, this album is as close to perfection as can be. I have seen mediocre bands change their style to something that suits them better, I have seen good bands gradually maturing and changing their style, but it is very rare for a band to just change overnight into something else and do it so successfuly as not to disappoint old fans. These people have earned my unlimited respect !

4.0 out of 5 stars Bark at the troubadour, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Howl (Audio CD)
After the critical & commercial success of "B.R.M.C" & "Take them on..", BRMC did something quite out of character for a rock band, they took a creative risk!
& produced their own reverse version of "Bringing it all back home" , an acoustic based record.
Mixing roots, blues, folk, gospel. & Zeppelin III, BRMC created an retro, but fresh sounding record, merging well with the bands contemporary style. with a well thought out selection of songs.
Not an entirely successful record (these suddenly changes of musical genre, normally take a couple of tries to nail) but pretty darn close, & I would certainly have a band keep trying to push themselves creatively, than produce the same album every time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A change of pace, 21 Nov. 2007
Simon Doherty (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Howl (Audio CD)
'Howl' is the exception to the hard-rock rule in BRMC's discography. The raw, distorted guitars of their eponymous debut and Take Them On, On Your Own, are abandoned in favour of a more acoustic style. Songs like Shuffle Your Feet are still lively but are more reminiscent of Johnny Cash than their previous influences. There are also some lovely results when the pace is slowed; the title track and Fault Line are moving alt-country ballads. The album does flag toward the end though, maybe if they had rocked out a couple of times it would have varied the mood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Box of blues goodies, 8 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Howl (Audio CD)
The 50's LP sleeve design is the first taste of the pleasure that is to come. And how the black-clad ones have progressed since the plateaux of the 2nd album. Bouncing out the harmonica and acoustic guitars, they execute American folk with a panache that belies their youth. Half-way in I checked to see which ones were the cover versions, to be amazed to find that all are originals, such as Devil's Waitin, where they are up to speed with the folk masters, and the Stones-like Ain't No Easy Way. Just as I was thinking of Dylan and Springsteen it gets better: Weight Of The World, echoing the Verve, I think is the most profound thing they've done. Blues and gospel follow until the album becomes a little more melancholic. The outstanding track has to be Sympathetic Noose, a Lennon-esque lament over thumping drums. It's an exhilarating album, not least because of its promise of excellence to come.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Howl
Howl by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (Audio CD - 2005)