4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
I bought this DVD as I'm a Sean Connery fan. I had spare vouchers left over from Christmas and I saw this in the local HMV. I didn't know anything about it and thought I would just add it to the "bank" of Connery films I have. I watched it yesterday and loved it!
Published on 5 Mar 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Film - So-So Release
NOTE: THIS IS A REVIEW FOR THE BLU-RAY!!!!!!

I bought this blu-ray release for two reasons: 1. I love the film and 2. Amazon mispriced the blu-ray at £4.47. Bargain!

So, any Blu-ray fan considering buying this will want to know a couple of things:

Published on 20 May 2012 by Pantheon

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Dragonheart [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
Dennis Quaid as the Dragonslayer is great casting. David Thewlis as the Brit who's a baddie is bearable. Julie Christie as the Queen is regally stunning. Dina Meyer as Kara was the obligatory female interest. But Connery, as the voice of Draco, is magnificent.
I watched the "Making Of" section on the DVD and the idea of taking Connery's facial expressions and matching them with Draco's was fabulous. I don't quite know how this was technically done, I just know I loved the results. Draco was compassionate, angry, reticent, mischevious, sexy, and melancholic. Somehow you just BELIEVED that this dragon was real.
This film was watched by me (40 ish) and my two nephews aged 15 and 12. All of us loved it. It was just so appealing. I didn't even mind getting laughed at when I cried at the end!
I'd really recommend this film to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars DragonHeart DVD, 21 May 2009
C. Connor "Indelible Maverick" (Enniskillen, N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragonheart [DVD] (DVD)
For anyone who likes dragons (and why else would you be buying this?) then I think this is great value for money. It's entertaining, it has deep morals about honesty, betrayal, trust, wealth, life and power. I love the fact that Sean Connery is 'Draco' as he epitomises 'life' and having lived a good one/long one/exciting one his actions and characteristics really come to life in this creature! You can't help but love him! I bought this for my kids and they have watched it over and over again. All the actors play a super part, the costumes are very authentic and the setting has amazing views. There are one or two 'corny' little bits thrown in, but on the whole.....a really good little film with super CGI for its age!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Film - So-So Release, 20 May 2012
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
NOTE: THIS IS A REVIEW FOR THE BLU-RAY!!!!!!

The picture quality is great. Much better than I thought it would. No, it's not up to the standard of modern films; but I never expected it to be. It's a clear picture with no noticeable grain or dirt. Colours are rich and blacks are deep and inky.
The sound (DTS HD Master) is glorious.

However, I was extremely disappointed to find there were absolutely no extras whatsoever. They couldn't even be bothered to port over the existing standard def extras from the DVD release.
For this reason alone I have downgraded this review to three stars. I personally think the film is great and worthy of four stars; but because this is a review of the product (the Blu-ray relase for anyone who hasn't caught on) I had to drop a star.

Hopefully, by stressing that this is a review for the blu-ray release no one will get confused over which version I am reviewing.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my childhood favourites!, 20 Feb 2010
D. Markham "Calmarsi" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragonheart [DVD] (DVD)
I was only 1 years old when this came out ( now 15 years old ) and since I was about 8 this has been one of my favourites. Every holiday I would take the DVD of it with me and watch it at least 3 times xD I just watched it again on SKY today and it inspired me to write a review on it. Admittedly I don't find it as enjoyable as I did back when I was 9-10, but I still enjoy it immensely. The voice acting of Draco the dragon is charismatic, wise, and excellent, while the other actors also play their parts well. This film is great for all ages and carries the moral that if everyone comes together they can vanquish a great evil. Also, I don't know what the CGI was like back in 1996, but I think this is pretty darn good considering! The dragon is believable at times and the fire at least looks like it's coming from the dragon and not some flamethrower. The interactions between Bowen and Draco make it seem like he isn't talking to a green dot on a pole xD The soundtrack is also amazing as are the sounds of the dragon roaring etc.

The ending chokes me up, even now =( Highly recommended if you haven't seen it and enjoy fantasy films.

5.0 out of 5 stars contrary to the other reviews..., 9 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Dragonheart [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
i found this film absolutely fantastic for those of us that like a good mythical plot.. in my view it is a must see..
the plot of a knight, and a dragon bound to an evil king... in my view fantastic :)

4.0 out of 5 stars DRAGONHEART- BLU-RAY, 11 May 2012
K. Lavender "film buff" (kent, england) - See all my reviews
Excellent blu-ray worth the upgrade for picture and sound but!- The only problem i found as always no extra's they want people to upgrade to blu-ray but makes me angry pay out money exspecting the same what is on dvd but NO just the film like a lot of blu-rays they are churning out its not fair so got to keep dvd for extras getting fed up with this i thought blu-rays can store more info but these film companys cant be bothered to give us what we want please-please film studio's give us more for our money might as well stick to dvds what does other folks think?

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragon Heart, 13 Aug 2009
This review is from: Dragonheart [DVD] (DVD)
I highly recommend this movie. Poetic, romantic, full of love and compassion... It will break the stone hearted-people up to tears.... It's absolutely suited for kids up to grown ups !

You can easily recognize Sean Connery in the Dragon's mimics.................. What's not to love?....

Enjoy...

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant special effects in a good family video, 14 Mar 2000
This review is from: Dragonheart [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
I first saw this movie playing on a 40 inch widescreen tv, in a store in Munich. I became one of about twenty fellas standing in awe watching Dennis Quaid battle the dragon. The effects are wonderful, the dragon is animated beautifully, and somehow, just as James Bond will always be Sean Connery, wise dragons will for me always have his voice. Some humour, especially from the dragon, and the spotty King Inan is someone you will just LOVE to hate! I enjoy 'serious' films, but I also enjoy these purely escapist movies too, for sheer entertainment value, and this is excellent; the child in all of us will thoroughly enjoy this one. Great for an evening of family viewing. A word of warning, when Draco the dragon, finally earns his place in dragon heaven, it cut me up as much as when Bambi's mother got shot with the arrow! And I'm nearly 50, what a wuss!

4.0 out of 5 stars A film of Supperb craftsmanship, 3 April 2000
This review is from: Dragonheart [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
Ths Film realy captures the imagination with great acting and character depth. The Dragon (sean Connery) is animated so cleverly it could be alive. The plot is okay if predictable but is definatly good for all the family. Best performance I have seen from Dennis Quaid since Enemy Mine, full and convincing for the most part. The supporting cast were also great with supperb camio performances. More of the same please.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good family classic, 25 Mar 2011
J.R.Hartley (NW England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dragonheart [DVD] (DVD)
Loved this film when it came out and bought it for our 7 year old. She grumbled at the thought of it, but she soon warmed to it and dragons now feature regularly in her drawings. The scene where the baddies attack a village might be a bit scary for some kids, but it's soon over and the rest of the film should provide low cost thrills for kids of all ages thereafter.

Dragonheart [DVD]
Dragonheart [DVD] by Rob Cohen (DVD - 2005)