4.0 out of 5 stars Ali & Sharam lay out their manifesto to conquer the masses
Published on 1 Aug 2005 by Simon J. Whight

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland, dull, lacking spark. Wishy washy!
Published on 18 Nov 2005 by Dijital

2.0 out of 5 stars Bland, dull, lacking spark. Wishy washy!, 18 Nov 2005
This review is from: George Is On (Audio CD)
I approached this album with an open mind, as I've been a follower of all things Deep Dish since I was introduced to them in the Renaissance arena at Ministry of Sound at Knebworth. They were immense that night, and my purchase of Yoshiesque 1 & 2 that followed was nothing less than a life-shaping experience, influencing the direction my musical tastes take even now. I've also been pleased with the Global Underground mixes. I bought Junk Science, their first full album, and I have to say that I was disappointed. Apart from 'Mohammed Is Jesus' and 'The Future of the Future', both of which I had already heard, loved and played ad infinitum, the album was for want of a better word wishy-washy.
...and that brings me to the tracks on this album. The first time I heard 'Flashdance' was (unashamedly) when I downloaded a low quality promo on a p2p network. Shortly afterwards I went to see Deep Dish in the Radio 1 Essential Mix arena at Creamfields. I have to say that their mixing was lazy, their track selection was sloppy, but their dedication to the big beats and funk-laiden melodies didn't falter. In addition to the original version of their as yet unreleased Flashdance, they played one of the David Guetta mixes. This was also the day I was introduced to 'Say Hello'. Sadly, the versions they played that day did not make it onto this album.
That's right. The good versions that they actually played in clubs were watered down. By that I don't mean to suggest that they were make more melodic or vocal. Nope. Pretty much the same, but with the magic touch removed. They removed certain instruments in the high end of the sound - the instruments that actually added the catchy funk to 'Say Hello' were again given the wishy washy midas touch. Again, Deep Dish submit to the lame and dated synth piano that the commercial audience expect. I was expecting this album to contain the original 'Flashdance' and 'Say Hello', but alas the "radio edit" disease is spreading.
The true test of an album is whether or not you can actually remember the songs after 5 or so listens. I bought this album then returned it. It's totally forgettable. If you want to hear Deep Dish's own work buy their mixes - they use their own stuff all the time, and usually with consistently good choons!
Good work boys. Shame we don't get to hear it. I'm sticking with my bootleg recording of that Creamfields mix! (and the 7 other Deep Dish albums I've bought)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ali & Sharam lay out their manifesto to conquer the masses, 1 Aug 2005
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Is On (Audio CD)
What is it now? 6 ... 7 years since Junk Science? An album slammed into an eagerly awaiting public with the Dish riding high on some really choice remixes, exposing a bland house scene to a form of electronica that hadn't been heard before. I dare any of you to offhandly dismiss the first time you heard the organ of Hideaway float in. It was awe inspiring. Junk Science was exactly what everyone was clammering for, a full set of official Dish tracks. Future Of The Future became a classic, and I found myself loving Sushi and Stranded plus the multitude of ace Dish remixes that followed later. Dish quickly stuck gold again with Yoshiesque and began kicking out some utterly classic remixes, pushing forward the Progressive sound. It was at this time that I was just wishing for a new Dish album to surface, taking advantage of their new found dark and rough style. Yet no album surfaced.
Time passed, the remix quality began to get a wee bit diluted and eventually the anti-climatic Lets Get Ill appeared. Hints of producution work in the pipeline but still no action. This brings us up to now, Flashdance has had its recent chart assualt and the Dish name is now in full public view. Finally the follow up to Junk Science has arrived. So whats it like? Well its alright I suppose. I found Flashdance didn't live up to the expectation of what you'd want from a Dish track. From reading an interview when De'lacy hit years back, they said that their beat programming was always so important to them, just check the grinding beats of said Hideaway or the pots and pans banging of Stay Gold for confirmation of this. You can see where I'm coming from when I say that Flashdance sounded a bit flat for them. It comes across more like the Yoshitohsi's own 6400 Crew's Dub Me Some Tin Fresh, except less interesting. I found the same feeling with the rest of the album, good quality deep house, lots of laid back listening moments yet nothing that had the same sparkle as their Dusted remix, the Morel dubs, the Prog Trance abandon of the Sven Vath and Amber.
On the plus side, absolutely EVERYTHING on here is infinitely superior than the deep house twaddle that punctuates a Hed Kandi collection or the sheer bland bandwagon jumping of the usual chart bound funky house act X. George Is On may not have been what I was wishing for but make no mistake, Ali & Sharam certainly poop over the general masses when it comes to production skills. The tracks ARE slick, some moments of Richard Morel's vocals or the instrumental tracks take my back to the first listen of Junk Science all those years ago and you can tell that their years of experience shine through for crafting an album of consistent good quality music.
As far as an album to convert the unknowing goes, Dish are onto a winner here. A bit of quality in a usually blandoid market. Let me just impart this advice, newbies to Deep Dish via Flashdance should really go and stick Yoshiesque 1 and Renaissance Ibiza on their shopping list as soon as possible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessiable Progressive House for Prog-House Noob, 24 May 2013
Will (St Albans, Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Is On (Audio CD)
Sharam and Dubfire make some excellent tracks, combing thrash guitars, Progressivey-Duby beats, and varying melodies and vocals, such features just aren't present in a lot of today's dance music and makes this an interesting and varied ride. Particular highlights are the Trance-like "Say Hello" the huge heavy amplified guitars of "Sacramento" and the chilled-out "Dreams"

5.0 out of 5 stars Top rate Album, 7 April 2011
This review is from: George Is On (Audio CD)
Completely disagree with the negative reviews regarding this album.
Top tracks for me include, "Say Hello" and "Sacramento". I would certainly recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrible album from start to finish, 25 Sep 2005
A. J. Baker "andrewbaker13" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Is On (Audio CD)
I read the other reviews and thought I was in for another deep dish classic. Alias not. This album starts badly and goes down hill. It's not just a bad album with a few excellent tunes on it; more that it's a bad album with some really terrible songs on it. If you liked Yoshiesque, then do not buy this - it's a poor mix of experimental Aphex Twin and a flat Depeche Mode.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Effort!, 29 July 2005
This review is from: George Is On (Audio CD)
Flashdance was a massive hit last summer for Deep Dish, and rightly so - it is an excellent tune. I didn't think they would be able to match it for quite some time, and I don't think they have with this album. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that although Flashdance is predictably the stand-out song on the album, the rest of the tunes are not just "fillers". "Say Hello" is a reasonable follow up to "Flashdance", but not outstanding. "Dub Shepherd" is quality, and very much in the Deep Dish style - I've heard them play it in their sets a lot lately. "Dreams" is really enjoyable, I don't know why it works so well, it just does. The rest of the tracks are good enough to stop you pressing the skip button. Its a shame that "Flashing for Money" isn't included on the album - a really clever mashup in my opinion. I think the album deserves 4 stars because there are enough strong tracks, and sufficient variation to make you listen to it numerous times.

3.0 out of 5 stars samey, 14 Nov 2005
John Williams - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Is On (Audio CD)
great in places but overall a little on the samey side buy but with caution.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 29 July 2005
This review is from: George Is On (Audio CD)
Dance has been in the doldrums recently but this cd will drag you away from the old classics. The brilliant Richard Morel remember funny car? is featured as well as a belting version of dreams by stevie nicks. Recommended.

George Is On
George Is On by Deep Dish (Audio CD - 2005)