5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Player for Talking Books
Published 18 months ago by Jenipen

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but sometimes delicate.
Published 21 months ago by Patrick Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Player for Talking Books, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Roberts CD9960 CD FM/MW/LW Radio Cassette Player (Electronics)
I am delighted with this purchase. My old player broke down, and having previously owned a Roberts radio, I knew it was a quality name. As I listen regularly to talking books, both on CD on cassette - my own and from the library, I still need a player for these combinations. I consider this an excellent machine. The sound quality is clear and the diction precise. Although I have not used it for the radio very much, I have tried it and that is also very good. The price was excellent and I thought it was extremely good value. I am sure it is equally good for playing music as it is for the spoken word. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who enjoys listening to talking books!

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but sometimes delicate., 12 April 2013
I bought this Roberts CD/Radio/Cassette player some months ago, in late summer 2012, after my previous portable stereo box from another manufacturer stopped working (the switch to select between CD, radio or tape failed). I was pleased to be able to buy the good, better-looking Roberts product, and I am still glad of it, but I have discovered a 'however' about it. Apart from not being a DAB radio (I know you can't get them attached to Cassette recorders, for whatever reason) it turns out that the internal amplifier is temperature sensitive. When the ambient temperature falls below about 14 degrees centigrade, it stops working. The CD spins, is being read, or the radio is on, but nothing comes out of the speakers. This is unfortunate given the abnormally prolonged winter here in the UK 2012/2013. Those finding it difficult keeping up with fuel cost inflation nowadays should bear this in mind, and the manufacturer should get to fixing the issue in future products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best buy of the year., 14 May 2012
A. Cairns "bookworm" (scotland) - See all my reviews
I think it is very good and I am pleased to be able to get local FM radio and news again and I'm also happy to play tapes and cds on it. I have quite a choice now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Roberts CD9960 FM/MW/LW Radio Cassette Player, 11 Nov. 2013
The cd player produces good sound, better than my wife's old Panasonic player which had stopped working, and the radio produces good, clear sound. But when she used the cassette player for the first time, some five weeks after the Amazon Returns date, she found that there is a strong grating sound as the cassette spindle rotates. We rang Roberts who said that the player is faulty and needs to be returned to them. We will have to pay for recorded delivery to Roberts who will repair it free and pay for its return.

4.0 out of 5 stars Was a good find!, 30 May 2013
This was a birthday gift for my Mum. She wanted to still be able to play her old cassettes but have a cd player too. I couldn't find a DAB digital radio that offered those but the radio on this seems very good.

Very straightforward and easy to use, a great buy for the price and Mum is thrilled with it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 17 Dec. 2012
For a good while, I spasmodically searched for a truly portable radio (i.e. with a handle) that also played tapes and CDs. With the Roberts CD9960 I have found it! I was not expecting "concert-hall" sound and this machine doesn't give it. However, sound reproduction is good for a radio that does all three things, and which you can carry around. The only fault I have to fin is that the controls on the left (On/Off etc) are fiddly and hard to read at a distance. And the radio tuning dial is hidden at the back. I had to consult the instructions to find out where it was! Overall, a valuable recruit to my audio army!

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best, 28 Jun. 2012
Roberts radios are top quality, they produce good sound and live up to their reputation, they are also attractive pieces, perfect for any home.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little stereo, 21 April 2012
This is a brilliant little stereo, convenient for carrying from room to room. Good quality sound, goes to a loud volume (unlike many portables)and boasting all the normal basic features, without money-wasting frills. Even pleasing to the eye! SO worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts CD9960, 9 Mar. 2013
B. Moody (West Sussex , England) - See all my reviews
Purchased this product as it is portable, compact and still has an integral cassette player. It has a very pleasant sound and is easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boogie box player, 5 April 2013
compact player. bought because I still have tapes. Would have really like is to have been digital. Good sound & is easy to operate

Roberts CD9960 CD FM/MW/LW Radio Cassette Player