4.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Futuristic, Smooth Scroller
I just bought this mouse. The design of it is very smart and futuristic, with it's three colour finish (dark grey, silver and black). It looks great. It's also has a nice ergonomic shape, making it very comfortable to hold.
Published on 9 Jan 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars 3D Studio Max user!?
Just to let you know that the middle button on this mouse is EXTREMELLY stiff to press! If you only use the middle mouse button for scrolling then it's fine. But, like me I do a lot of graphics related 3D work and the middle mouse button makes it so hard. Every other button is fine but if you do NEED the Middle button then definitely do not purchase!

I use the...
Published on 30 Mar 2011 by Mr. I. Wood

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Futuristic, Smooth Scroller, 9 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - Silver (Accessory)
The mouse has two normal mouse buttons, except, they aren't separated from the body; they flow into the body, which is a nice design feature. The mouse also has a red "magnifier" button on the side. In all honesty, I haven't found this feature particuarly useful, so I've re-assigned it to function as a "back" button. You can assign it to do whatever you want (undo, redo, back, forward) which is great.
The mouse has a very smooth scroll wheel, which is so smooth it feels kind of greasy. It doesn't step through fixed intervals like most scroll wheels do. It just runs freely and smoothly. It's also completely silent. The scroll wheel also rocks from side-to-side, allowing you to scroll horizontally, but I haven't found this feature particuarly useful either.
Unlike a lot of Microsoft's optical mice, this one doesn't emit a red glow. A very faint red light is visible through the black sides of the mouse, but there is no "glow" feature informing you when the mouse is on.
Overall, the mouse is very good. It's probably the best wired mouse you can get for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and effective, 23 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - Silver (Accessory)
Tried out quite a few mice to find a nice one to work with all day. Decided on this one because:
- it is comfortable to use
- quite accurate
- I like the click-less scroll wheel (contrary to other's comments)
- the zoom function with the side button is quite useful
- is wired, enhancing reliability, and anyways, if a mouse isn't bluetooth (making it way too expensive), you still need to plug something in, and in the case of the other MS mouse I tried the base station was as big as a mouse! Also, adding batteries to a mouse makes it surprisingly more annoying to move about.
At this moment, this is definitely the best mouse around at this price point, and Amazon delivered promptly.

5.0 out of 5 stars About to buy another of these.., 18 Jan 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - Silver (Accessory)
I bought a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 back in 2006, originally for use with my XP desktop. It is now connected to my Vista laptop. The most obvious comment is that it has lasted me well for the best part of four years. Unfortunately, thanks to heavy daily use (work and leisure) I've now worn out the bearings on the scroll wheel so it sometimes "judders" when I scroll. So it is time to replace it, and I think I'll stick with this model.

About the mouse's external finish: it has hardy worn at all after four years, unlike other mice I have used. The only sign of wear is to the four small pads on the underside that raise it off the desktop (or in my case the leg of my jeans), and that is minimal.

The two main buttons have a nice positive feel and give good feedback through the fingertips and a clean click sound.

The scroll wheel is first class, and its click down feature to engage the auto-scroller works perfectly.

The cord is soft, supple and light. It's quite easy to forget that you are not using a wireless/bluetooth mouse.

I've not made much use of the side button (can't remember what it does, to be honest!).

I'm also not sure how well it interacts with some of the window management features of Vista; I have them disabled, being an old fogey who remembers when Windows 98 was released.

The laser definitely prefers textured surfaces (like my jeans!), or surfaces have have texture below them (like varnished wooden desktops). It does not like blank white paper, or highly reflective surfaces (I have a 'lap desk' thingie with a very hard shiny top, and the mouse does not like it at all).

The mouse is symmetrical (apart from the one side button that lefties would need to use their pinkie or fourth finger to press - not easy!), and has a very pleasant smooth rounded shape. I have very very large hands (I can pick up a soccer ball or rugby ball with one hand) - this mouse is the most comfortable I've used by a long way. I do also use the mini/micro mice when travelling with my smaller laptop on business; they work fine, but this is better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good solid mouse and fantastic value, 26 Jan 2010
baldmosher (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - Silver (Accessory)
I've used a Logitech M500 mouse at work for a few months and love it, but when my trusty MS Intellimouse v1.2A died recently I thought I'd take a punt on another MS mouse.

Better built than the Logitech, and much nicer in the hand, it's very accurate, very sensitive, and the wheel scrolls freely and fast enough to get around documents quickly. I don't use sideways scrolling very much as I have a wide monitor, but when I remember about it, it's quite useful. I definitely miss the "Hyperfast Scrolling" friction-free-flick-and-go scroll of the M500, but the M500 often scrolls accidentally when I move the mouse and that can be very annoying indeed. So this is simply a matter of preference depending on what I'm doing at the time. As I don't use Excel or scroll through enormously long documents or webpages at home I wouldn't take advantage of this function 99% of the time.

I'm not keen on the wheel 'button', it's far too hard to press and Windows doesn't always register a click even when it physically 'clicks', but as I don't use the Magnify function, and you can assign any function you like to any button, I've swapped the side and middle button functions. Problem solved. The Intellimouse software is mind numbingly simple, and yet appears to be very powerful.

For general use, this mouse is superb, and I can put up with the absence of true free scrolling. I'd have a hard job deciding between the 3000 and the M500 if I was replacing this mouse again, but as my last MS mouse lasted for over 10 years I doubt I'll need to do that any time soon!

EDIT:

OK, 8 months, on, still love it. Definitely prefer it to the Logitech for general use. The friction on the mouse wheel has thankfully lessened a little over time, and so it's a bit easier to "throw" the page up the screen. Great stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall, just what I was hoping for..., 4 April 2007
T. Wannell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - Silver (Accessory)
Very comfortable and very precise. I was using a cheap-o optical mouse which I bought from a supermarket at around the same price and I can not believe the difference! I have only just received it but I have just tested it with FPS games and there is an astounding difference.

The wheel does feel a little odd, its doesn't click like all the others I've used and it is a little slow. Although I have changed the roll speed on windows and I suppose I will get used to the feeling in no time. I can't be bothered to install the software it comes with to customize the 4 buttons yet so the one on the side has no use, but I could if I wanted to.

Overall, it feels great and hopefully it will cut down on my RSI. It certainly feels a hell of a lot more comfortable then my last mouse so I am satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of initial impressions, 27 May 2006
Mr. I. Macdonald (Eastleigh, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - Silver (Accessory)
My initial impression on receipt was that this mouse was cheap and plasticky. However, after only 2-3 hours usage I love it. If you are moving on from a standard mouse, the default settings may put you off. They are much too fast. Slow the settings down especially for scrolling and pointer speed. Cheap and plasticky is only an initial impression, before you realise just how precise, comfortable and versatile this mouse is. The magnifier function is tremendous. Top marks to Microsoft for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort mouse 3000, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - Silver (Accessory)
After struggling with wireless mice for years, changing batteries, waiting for the mouse to work etc I decided to bin my last and buy a wired mouse.
The microsoft wired comfort mouse 3000 is an ideal replacement.

This mouse is more comfortable than most due to having no angular edges to dig in to your hand whilst using it.
It is also good for small hands as it has two sets of buttons that are built into its nice curved shape.

If you have small children like me and you like less hand pain you will find this mouse a very useful tool indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 9 Jan 2010
Geoffrey Herbert (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - Silver (Accessory)
My wife has been using the touch pad on her Compaq laptop quite satisfactorily, but is very pleased to use this mouse - it is so much quicker and accurate. We like the size - big enough to grasp and hold easily. (Note: some mice are huge - according to the dimensions provided on Amazon, eg length given as 120 cm instead of 120mm!) As expected the installation was easy - instructions very clear! Quick zoom useful if you need it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great simple mouse, 15 Mar 2010
This review is from: Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - Silver (Accessory)
This is a brilliant simple mouse. Lightweight, accurate tracking, good button positioning and smooth scrolling. There are more expensive mice out there but this does the job, just right. And I do a lot of mousing 12-16 hours a day...

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, 11 Dec 2009
J. F. Talbot (London, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 - Silver (Accessory)
I wanted an ambidextrous, Mac compatible mouse so I bought this one as it was reasonably priced. It's very comfortable in either hand and good value. Recommended.