5.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up to Sleeping Queens!
Published on 5 Mar. 2008 by C. Page

2.0 out of 5 stars Sent me to sleep
Got this for the kids (7 & 9) for Christmas based on all the rave reviews, and was sorely disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's nicely produced, has decent artwork, good cardstock and the rules are clear. So what's the problem? Well, if you don't mind your games being completely luck-based there isn't one, and the kids have quite enjoyed playing a couple of games here...
Published 21 months ago by wegotjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake Up to Sleeping Queens!, 5 Mar. 2008
C. Page "performing wonder" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game (Toy)
Brilliant! My girls (aged 6/9/10 when we first bought it) have played this loads, especially on a camping holiday round Europe. All the Gamewright card games are great because they're essentially so simple, yet they have a design and wit about them that makes them very appealing. This game was inspired by an idea from a girl of about 6 and her (games inventor) dad so they've got the target market exactly right. A safe buy for a girls' birthday, I would say.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but so clever, 4 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game (Toy)
I can but endorse previous reviewers comments and try to add some more. Gamewright's card games are based on tradional card games with a twist and obviously a totally different set of cards. Sleeping Queens appealed instinctively to both my 6 year old son and 8 yar old daughter. We play it endlessly and it's one of those games that will be treasured and passed down generations. It's portable and absorbing and never fails to be a popular option from both adults and children's points of view. It's simple but keeps all sorts of people interested in playing. We will certainly be investing in more of Gamewright's games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right Royal Fun, 16 Oct. 2008
Rotgut "rotgut" (Warrington UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
We love Sleeping Queens.

My 9 year old daughter always enjoys this well produced card game.

It combines the two elements essential for a good game: you need luck and judgement to win. Almost any age can play and it's a great family activity. Each game should not really take longer than 5-10 minutes , so it doesn't drag on.

Whimisical and eccentric illustrations and characters maintain a level of charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeping Queens Card Game, 7 Sept. 2009
dippylala (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game (Toy)
We were told about this game by a Canadian friend. Her children all love it and so I purchased a pack for my son(age 9). This is an enchanting game - with a beautiful story regarding it's invention. We play it all the time and I would highly recommend it as an interesting and fun option to the interminable computer games that all kids seem to be addicted to these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun even with a tantrummy six-year-old, 23 May 2012
S. J. King "zh84" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game (Toy)
My little niece (I don't think my sister would like me to use her name) is a delightful child at best, but doesn't like losing. I was a bit apprehensive about introducing her to a new game, because I was afraid that if she didn't win she would have a tantrum. To my great relief, though, she and her nine-year-old brother had a great time with it. The game itself is easy to learn (though admittedly my niece often had help), the pictures delightful, and play contains plenty of chances for the lead to change hands without being too random. The authors have done particularly good work in making sure the rules are clear. At one point, in a round when the winning score was 40 points, I scored 45. My niece shouted "You broke the roo-els!" I referred to the leaflet in the box, and there is a roo-el which says that you don't have to have that exact number of points to win: just to have that much or better. As well as playing it with the adults, the children also played it by themselves, which I felt was a sign of its success. As the game involves only cards, it would be easy to take on journeys to play in a train or aircraft, though I haven't let my sister remove it from this house because it was so popular here. The minimum age limit of 8 is probably sensible, because it requires arithmetic, but as the queen cards which have the scores on them don't have to be kept secret it is quite possible for a child who can't add to leave them out in the open and have someone else add the scores up. Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 April 2011
This review is from: Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game (Toy)
My daughter was given this for her 8th birthday, having played it with a friend previously. We have all enjoyed playing it - adults and her 6 year old brother alike. Each time is different so it doesn't get boring. I would say that most 6 year olds would grasp this fairly easily so don't be put off by the 8+ advice. A well thought out clever fun game. I have bought several as birthday presents now and am looking at the other card games by this company for next year's gifts!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!, 23 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game (Toy)
Sleeping Queens is currently our family's favourite card game, requested over and over again by our 5yo and (almost) 8yo and equally enjoyed by us parents. While the age recommendation is from 8 years, our 5yo has no problems with the rules and tactics of the game (although she does need help with basic addition which is a minor component). Highly recommended, as well as the other Gamewright card games, where the ones we have tried all have great staying power:

- Duck Duck Bruce (simple push your luck game, perfect from as early as 3-4 and great fun for adults as well, our favourite after Sleeping Queens, perfect to bring to restaurants/airports)
- Zeus on the loose (great fun and a game we happily play with our 8yo, but slightly higher age bracket than Sleeping Queen as addition skills are needed (although of course children learn unknowingly as they play...))
- Rat a Tat Cat (the first Gamewright game we tried with our then 5,5 yo, a firm favourite for a year or so until displaced by Duck Duck Bruce, but still very much recommended.)

(Come to think of it, we have also tried Too Many Monkeys which is quite uninteresting, at least to adults. Try the above ones instead.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super game, 9 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game (Toy)
We bought this for our 6 year old for her birthday based on review here and have not been disappointed. Our three children (age 7,6 and 3) picked up the rules very quickly and are always keen to play.
This game has appealed in particular to our 3 1/2 year old. Although she cannot do the adding up bits she is fiercely competative and is able to follow all the other rules. It is helping her to learn (slowly) about losing as well especially when playing with her siblings.
This is a great game for travel as it packs up small and we have spent many a train journey playing - highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good card game for all ages, 17 July 2011
This review is from: Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game (Toy)
My daughter was bought this game for christmas when she was 8. Her younger sister was able to understand and play it too (at age 7). Once you have read the instructions and understand what each card means and the way the game is played, anyone can enjoy this game. It can last from 5 to 20 minutes. My daughter takes it to school when allowed and it doesn't take long for her to explain how to play to her friends. So it's not too difficult. No reason why boys wouldn't enjoy it too as some of the cards have kings and jesters on, so not completely girly. Adults can join in too. I don't mind joining in when asked to by my daughters. I think it's quite pricey, around a fiver would be more like it, but makes a good present for any young girl over age 6 in my view.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun game for young children, 30 Sept. 2013
Carole Lovesey (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game (Toy)
We played this with some friends at their house and enjoyed it, so ordered our own set. Good quality cards with lovely designs. Including the friends, all the children (from 5 to 9yo) enjoyed it and so did the adults. And it's the sort of game that children and adults can play equally (so long as your children will let your Knight steal away their favourite Queen, which my two are not always very keen on ;o) ). Players need to hold the cards in their hand, so we also bought the Gamewright Original Little Hands Card Holders, which makes life a lot easier for those with small hands.

Gamewright Sleeping Queens Game