on 20 July 2006
I bought this game for under £10, and i am happy that i did now.

This is quite old a game, and doesn't have anything to do with the first Pirates of the Caribean film, but it is an enjoyable game with different things to do in it.

Firstly, it's a freedom game, which i always enjoy. Also, as well as fighting different armies on lots of different islands, you can also do missions sent by other people, sail around hunting for pirates or just explore new places. You can even inport and export goods to make money!

Once i even caught sight of the Black Pearl, but couldn't catch it as my ship wasn't good enough. To make your ship better, you buy different weopens for it or just simply buy another better ship. You can also buy weopens for yourself.

Overall, the graphics are O.K. for an old computer game and this will keep you on for a long time if you like tis sort of thing. But some modern games do outmatch it, which is why i have given it a 4.

But if you have £10 to spend, and a computer is available, then give this game a go!
0Comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2006
Ever since Sid Meier's origonal Pirates game came out it became a genre that fascinated me. Ever since those C64 days i've collected and played pretty much all of the available Pirate themed games: Pirates!,Cutthroats,Uncharted waters,Patrician series,Port Royale series etc

As a stock game Pirates of the Caribbean(published by Bethesda+Disney) does feel a little unfinished, partialy due to it actualy having been designed as the follow up the game Sea Gogs by Akella software. So the game Pirates of the Caribbean was actualy meant to be Sea Dogs2 - but got sold to Disney.

Having said that its entirely possible to make this game one of the best Pirate games available - you need to Mod it, look for the buildmod13 from the website piratesahoy.net. After you've added this mod which acts like a super-patch and adds loads of great new content, Pirates of the Caribbean becomes a game i rate as equal to Sid's origonal Pirates!(Gold). So for a few quid and a free mod - you can have months of great piratical fun with this game.
on 23 July 2009
I bought this for my laptop which has Windows Vista on it, and it did not work - it installed but would not play. I then installed it on my PC which has XP on it and it worked fine. It was a very enjoyable game - there were three or four different 'stories' to complete which took a while, the graphics were decent and I loved the soundtrack. I think it is the most enjoyable pirate-themed game I've played.

I would just like to warn people with Vista that it may not work on their computers. I did a bit of research online and apparently I'm not the only one who had that problem.
22 comments3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2015
I have loved this game for many years, but I was using a damage disk so I had to rebuy this in order to complete the game...
I won't give spoilers for anyone who wants to buy and play this soon without knowing the hole storyline, but the ending is a bit dissapointing and can be challenging if you haven't got good enough equiptment! :)
on 17 July 2012
Solution to the problem of it nto running on vista is to ring the number that is found on the inside of the game box. They should be able to provide you with a CD Crack to allow it to run on vista etc.
Game is brilliant for the year and with the mods from pirates ahoy it is brought bang up to date and is a hell of a lot of fun.
on 22 December 2015
Game has disappointing compatibility issues. Doesn't work on my older Vista PC in compatibility mode, doesn't work on my newer Windows 8 PC and doesn't work running on a VMware Virtual PC running Windows XP which is supposed to be compatible with :(
on 17 May 2013
All I can say is that my son loves this game and he is nearly 20! 8) Ahhh boys they never grow up.
on 16 September 2015
Came on time and works great!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
As RPG games come, I think this is decent enough. Controls are simple and changable. You can do a lot of exploration if you're bored of the missions, blow the hell out of some pirate ships or smuggle stuff from the black market.

I like it and I think it's worth getting just to pull out of the cupboard now and again
on 12 November 2006
As you would expect from Disney this game is very polished in appearence, the game play is also very good and you can get quite engrossed in it, you can trade, sail, have sea battles, sword fight and communicate with almost everyone you meet, there is a story to follow and also random missions you can take or not depending how you feel, a vast game that will keep you entertained for ages.