5.0 out of 5 stars your heart will be stolen, 6 Oct 2005
This review is from: You've Stolen My Heart (Audio CD)
What a wonderful record. The Kronos Quartet take on R.D. Burman's filmi sangeet, the songs for the Bollywood blockbusters, stars the Diva herself, Asha Bhosle, on 8 of the 12 record tracks. Also featuring, percussionist Zakir Hussain and Chinese's pipa player Wu Man. But the KQ doesn't just play the transcriptions of Burman's songs to a string quartet, they add flavour and spice to na already very spiced music. The result is exuberant, elegant and very funny. Asha's vocals are just superb, the arrangements are luxuriant, still retaining all the cinematic quality of the songs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 11 Oct 2005
SP Carter "StuPC" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You've Stolen My Heart (Audio CD)
I know next to nothing about Indian music, except that I've been sometimes quite taken with random pieces I've heard, and even some Ravi Shankar at times (although, doesn't he go ON sometimes?) You've Stolen My Heart is a collection of various styles of Indian film music (although, all written by the same composer), and wasn't always an easy album to listen to for a 30-something indiekid like myself, largely because it's such an unfamiliar style - and it can be difficult to appreciate such a very different genre from the usual. But, hell, we all need to break out from the usual once in a while, don't we?
So...on first listen I was sometimes intrigued, but equally often mystified, bored or even irritated by what was going on here.
My advice would be, however, to try listening again, because while this may never become an all-time favourite of mine it is a CD I'll be returning to, and it definitely improves, as the different styles becomes more familiar, over time. While at an unfamiliar first or second listen the whole thing can seem to blend into a bit of an unmemorable mishmash, over a few listens some beautiful and exotic tunes will differentiate themselves and you'll wonder how you missed them the first time around!
Recommended for patient listeners who want to hear something a bit different from the norm.

You've Stolen My Heart
You've Stolen My Heart by Asha Bhosle (Audio CD - 2005)