Price:£8.76+ £2.03 shipping

on 22 June 2015
Ordered this for my sons birthday arrived in plenty of time one happy boy :)
on 28 August 2014
Great game, all time fav
on 23 October 2005
It has to be said that after watching time commanders on the tv and reading lots of books on Sparta I was really looking forward to this game. The back of the box promises that you will be able to "lead" the armies of Sparta against 60 different enemies. Basically you go from one level to the next with insanely oversized weapons that leave the annoying luminous power slash through the air. Predictably you can upgrade your hero as you go along.....Extra powers, new weapons etc. I was taken in by the fact it was given the title Spartan Total Warrior and as such was expecting a version of the total war series for the PS2 ITS NOT A STRATEGY GAME! I have given this 3 stars because its will appeal to those who like platform games and its still fun to play.
on 12 May 2015
Working perfectly!
on 27 November 2005
I personally was let down a little by this game. It looked great in the store, nice case, had heard some great things, but then when it came down to it I wasn't as impressed. There were a number of things which I feel let this title down, and although it's quite playable, it's certainly nothing too special. I think it's a case of the bad aspects just outweighing the good ones, and even though I can't say I played it to the full, I do think I experienced enough of it to judge it in fair light. So, where to start?
Well, to begin with, it's not at all like the Total Wars on the PC and I can't quite see what made them carry the suffix across other than for the advertising purposes. You play as a single Spartan warrior during a tense battle between Sparta and Rome (I guess it is mildly educational). The gameplay is very linear, as are the levels, as is the story. This didn't bide too well with me as I prefer more options and variety, not just fighting through a level which can only be one way and only offers one path. The only influence I felt I had on the game other than progressing through it was on the character himself. After each level you can allocate points to various attributes which effect his performance during battle (i.e. speed, power, defence, etc), however even this customisation falls short of what I'd expect of such an anticipated game. Leaving my expectations aside, the gameplay is fairly enjoyable, easy controls, impressive moves and huge numbers of troops to dispose of all add up to give it an arcade feel. In some situations you can button mash whilst in others you have to be more precise, efficient use of your shield can be very rewarding and in some levels is absolutely requires should you wish to survive. You can also take full advantage of an overdrive-like function which becomes available as you kill more soldiers (displayed in the form of a bar on screen) in order to faster deplete their numbers in style. During the levels you are given objectives which must be complete, one at a time, in order to progress farther. Herein lies the real problem I had - you are really bound by the objectives which add to the linear value and lower that of realism - there's no skipping from A to C, you've GOT to do B first (access to certain areas of the level rely solely on this principle). I was hoping for more of a Dynasty Warriors-style game in which you could run round a huge map with hundreds of warriors and pick them off as you please - a little over here, a little over there - rather than a far off cousin in which the maps are linear, divided off into areas which open and close out of your control, and tie you to their rules. Where's the fun and freedom in that? If anything, the numbers of enemies are commendable, though pretty much everything else falls short.
The graphics are fairly good, some fighting scenes look real nice, there's a lot of blood which works well, but there's also that annoying 'plastic' feel to the characters which make them look shiny and badly rendered. From time to time they seem a little sketchy and when performing certain moves the physics just fall apart. Though it's likely that this was the desired affect - as mentioned before, it's certainly more of an arcade-style hack and slash than anything else (not that this is necessarily a bad thing). Another point I'll make is all the soldiers look short and fat, almost to the point where I think the game is set in another wolrd where the gravity is 3 times normal. Oh yeah, and the cutscenes are pretty weak - not that they're the determining factor by any means, but still worth noting.
Regarding the levels, I found them to be very slow and sometimes tedious. At points they were too hard, even on normal, and often I'd have to either take a break or force myself to keep playing. Overall, I didn't find the game too enjoyable, it was more of a chore. The best way I can describe it is like a book that you don't particularly like but feel the need to finish just because you started it, and although it's not like me, sometimes I just say “enough's enough” - I'm not going to carry on with something I don't enjoy.
I know this review may seem a little one-sided, but then my experience felt very unrequited. If you're thinking about picking this one up, I strongly recommend you rent it first. If you like what you see at the start then you'll like the rest (most likely), and if you don't, then just let it go. My experience was closer to the latter, and although I've gone back to it multiple times, it's certainly not made it anymore appealing. It's a good game for getting your mind of things and doing some senseless button mashing, but I didn't find the roots to go much deeper than that. If you're looking for something similar then may I recommend Dynasty Warriors or Star Ocean (both on the PS2), although if you are going to go ahead and purchase it, let me give you one piece of advice: don't get your hopes up, perhaps that way you'll enjoy it a little more. Spartan: Total Warrior isn't really a love-hate game, it's more one that can be played from time to time or not at all - it certainly isn't likely to remain in your memory for long. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide what you think about this title, obviously opinions will range from person to person, but I think it's best that I put out a word of warning - there's nothing worse than being let down by a hyped game.
on 5 March 2006
This game is good for a little while but it is much to short. i finished it in about 8 hours. It has very little replay value and the multiplayer and bonus levels are pretty crap. If you are buying it because you think it might be like the Total War games you are sadly mistaken. There is one saving grace though, the levels in Athens are some of the best that i have seen in a game. This game is quite similar to Dynasty Warriors but not as good. By all means buy this game if you like repetative action and a pretty weak storyline but i would advise against it. I returned this game within 48 hours of buying and completing it.
on 4 March 2007
Ok this game i bourght thinking it would be along the lines of dynsaty warriors. i was wroung but i enjoyed the game play and also the simple controlls. however the history is out of whack and the english voice overs for the bad guys and when where the spartans american. also poor graphics and repetative combos make this an ok game but not really worth that much play. plus did i mention the british are the bad guys and that annoyed me.
on 16 December 2005
I have not actually played this game yet and iam deciding wheather to buy it ot not. by looking at advetisement and such, i think that the game looks alot like the Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King game on PS2. i was hoping someone could tell me wheather the two games are similar.many thanks. Tom